PDA

View Full Version : Bore-SNAKE 9mm?

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 10:14 PM
I have heard alot about this product and that its washable.
Which do you prefer to clean your pistol's?

gfen
September 12, 2005, 10:33 PM
I can't answer your question as asked, but I recently purchased a boresnake for .22/.223.

I'll NEVER go back to a rod again.

Heck, when cleaning my new .22lr revolver, I didn't feel like using the rod down the muzzle end, so I even used the BS for that.

I plan on buying BSes for my three handgun calibers, next.

Jericho9mm
September 12, 2005, 10:39 PM
I got one for every gun I own, it is one of the best inventions in gun cleaning. It is washable but air dry it just to be safe and you can apply bore cleaner and oil on either end to help clean it out. it is definatley worht the money simply because of the time it saves. :cool:

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 11:03 PM
Just want to know if the cleaning brush is ok until I get the bore snake?
Or should I use it only on the breach and slide would like to run it down the barrel but do not want to ruin it.

Dead-Nuts-Zero
September 12, 2005, 11:06 PM
I was about to ask the very same question in here. I was at

midwayusa.com

last night looking at the Snakes. If you go to the above website, do a search on Bore Snake you will find them listed. They are rated 5 stars the highest rating. If you click on the star ratings link, there are some good detailed comments about the BS. All were good reviews.

I decided that asking in this forum would give me more input.

Sofar, I am sold on the idea.

zzirg
September 12, 2005, 11:10 PM
xd9 ...ive been using a brush for over 35 years now, it wont hurt a thing snakes are still fairly new.

Topthis
September 12, 2005, 11:35 PM
Mr.XD9mm...I highly doubt that any gun mfr. would give you a tool with your gun that is harmful to it, after all, that brush is made of nylon. That said, I also own an XD9, I use the brush that came with the gun to prep my barrell and then I clean my barrel with the traditional bronze and rod, followed by patches. After all that, then I will run a Bore Snake through 4-6 times. I also bring all my BS's to the range with me and will give my guns a once or twice through in between firing. They are a great tool for breaking in a new gun too.

Jericho9mm
September 12, 2005, 11:41 PM
I also bring all my BS's to the range with me and will give my guns a once or twice through in between firing.

That's what I call a hardcore believer. :cool:

rnovi
September 12, 2005, 11:44 PM
Boresnakes are good for quick cleans however I have found that to really, really get a gun clean of all leading requires much more work than a BSnake was designed to do.

I shoot about 95% lead and only the rare FMJ in my .45's, .357, and 9mm. 100 rounds of lead and the snake is fine. 3-500 rounds and it's time to bust out the cleaning rods, patch jags, Kroil overnight soaks, and LeadAway patches. (PS: REALLY like the Kroil overnight soaks. makes the lead just sheet out...)

If all you shoot are FMJ's or plated bullets then the snake should do the job quite well.

m0ntels
September 13, 2005, 08:18 AM
Another Bore Snake and also Kroil fan here too. I use the Snakes for a quick cleaning and Tipton carbon fiber rods for serious cleanings. If you havent tried Kroil, I think you should. It's cheap enough and I forget if you can get a free sample from their website or not, but it's good on way more than just guns.

Randy