PDA

View Full Version : ? On H&K's P2000

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 09:55 PM
Plan to get H&K's P2000 in 9mm or .40cal love the way it feels and how easily the slide racks back. My wife can rack it back with ease and loves most things german. Have heard that they are good guns hence the higher price.
Already own a XD9 Service model which I love but wanted to know what others think of this pistol? My wife is not a small lady and has shot all range of pistols from 22cal to 44 Rem Mag so recoil is not an issue. Pistol fits well in her hand and I love the fact she doesn't mind spending $899 on it.

Told her I might have to swap her pistols but she looked at me and growled.

Mark54g
September 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
you could do much worse than H&K.
Many people complain about them. I have never held one, but most complaints are price related and not functionality based. If you can afford it, and you like it, then thats all there is to it.

Stiletto
September 12, 2005, 10:03 PM
$899 WHAAAA...???

Link (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976596801.htm) to DA/SA/Decock...full size, though. I take it you were looking at the SA/DA/Decock P2000sk for the $900 figure?

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone else dealt with H&K out there?

Slateman
September 12, 2005, 10:47 PM
Have one and I love it. Grip is nice. Accurate too (see my thread in Tactics and Training). And of course, its HK so its reliable as hell.

And you can get them for less that $900. I got mine slightly used for 600.

maximuss
September 12, 2005, 11:12 PM
I don't know what particular reason why she wants P2000.
Have you thought of USP?
They are cheaper and good.

Greg Bell
September 12, 2005, 11:53 PM
The P2000 is an excellent handgun. It is, in essence, an improved USP (slick ambi-slide release, beveled exterior, industry standard rail, Walther-Style grip inserts, etc). The improvements sound minor, but I have fallen in love with my P2000 in a way I never did with my USPs. If you do a search you will see me complaining about the pointlessness of the USP series back in the late 90s early 2000 period. I also joined the chorus of groans when the P2000 came out ("why bother?"). Now I think the gun is the best service auto currently available. It has won just about every trial it has taken part in (notice it replaced and beat Walthers, Sigs and H&Ks in the German pistol trials). The gun is basically the pinnacle of current service autos.

rmcginley
September 13, 2005, 07:49 AM
I bought a P2000 V3 about 6 months ago. It's accurate, easy to field strip for cleaning, and my wife also can pull the slide back without much trouble. In fact she has pretty much taken it over. Now I'm planning on buying the P2000SK V3 to compliment my collection.

Christian 812
September 13, 2005, 09:30 AM
I got a H&K P2000 SK (Sub Kompact) 9 mm DAO for 2 weeks now. Only shoot ± 75 rounds. I believe it needs a few more rounds to run smoother.
I got this one as CCW and practise it for fast shooting at 10 yards ... you don't buy this class of weapon to score at 25 or 50 yards, don't you.
First results have been satisfactory ... at least, every shoot in the target, so with training, I guess it will improve.
Incredible quality of engineering, the polymer frame is real piece of art. LEM trigger (just like a revolver) needs some practice but very smooth (as smooth as my P226 in DA). I certainly would not CC chambered (either with IWB holster or Mexican) ... but I practise to draw and load in the same move ... and it's not going bad.
So, I can tell you more within 3.000 rounds !
I paid $ 920 for it ... in Europe, you have 21% taxes ! So I consider the US price not being a real favor !

FirearmFan
September 13, 2005, 10:13 AM
Good choice in the P2000. I have rented one at the range I belong to and it made to the top of my buy list that day!!! I want to get the Lem model and don't see a problem with carrying one in the chamber. It won a contract with the department of Homeland Security and after firing it myself I give it two thumbs up. I currently carry a usp .40 and plan on retiring that one to the night stand as soon as I get a p2000.

As far as price I found one at a shop in NJ that have them in .40 cal and 9mm for $700 new. Not including tax. If you want the name of the place let me know. They can mail it to your local gun shop and you can go through the ATF registration process there.

Velocity226
September 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
Wouldn't a USP compact using the LEM system be close to the P2000?

It may be lower in price too.

Christian 812
September 13, 2005, 10:57 AM
FirearmFan,

So I guess that the price is about the same than in the US. Take 21 % taxes out of the price I paid and add your local taxes ... we're close.

CC chambered ... I believe it's a matter of training an confidence. With a IWB holster (that I'm actually crafting) I probably go for one in the chamber.
Mexican ... never ! It's a rule for me.

Till now, I've only used Sig's with decocker ... but never happy with the first shot. This is why I choose the LEM trigger on the P 2000 ... but have to get used to it ... allow me some time !

C Philip
September 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
I've handled a P2000 in 9mm before. I personally don't like that magazine release, and the price is way too much for what you're getting IMHO. However, being a left handed shooter, I can appreciate that it is one of the few guns, as well as the P7M8, that is fully ambidexterous. The P2000 is the only gun I know of that has a slide release on both sides of the gun.

Christian 812
September 13, 2005, 12:16 PM
C Philip,

The trick with the ambidexterous Mag release on the P2000 is to use your index and not your thumb to release the mag ... this being right or left handed. From the guys at H&K, this is the way they train the German Police ... which is not stupid ... your index is far from the trigger.

FirearmFan
September 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
Velocity 226

The advantage the p2000 has over the compact usp Lem models is it is easier to hold with a customizable grip like the walther p99 and uses a universal rail system that accepts most lights. The usp's only take the utl tactical light because they have proprietary rails. In addition the p2000 is smoother around the edges so your outerwear doesn't snag in ccw. The only disadvantage some might find is that the p2000 doesn't come in .45 cal. It really depends upon the person.

Slateman
September 13, 2005, 03:04 PM
The trick with the ambidexterous Mag release on the P2000 is to use your index and not your thumb to release the mag ... this being right or left handed. From the guys at H&K, this is the way they train the German Police ... which is not stupid ... your index is far from the trigger.

Exactly. Probably one of the best features about this gun. I use both my thumb and index finger to do it. That way I know that my finger isn't on the trigger.

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 10:12 PM
My wife could easliy rack the slide back and it fit well in her hand compared to my XD9. I have to admit I told her that I would trade her my XD9 for it cause I have always liked H&K. She was concerned with the price since the pistol was easy to operate with her being left handed.

Does Oshmans SuperCenters still carry H&K's the one close the WillowBrook used to and the one by IH10 did long time ago as well. Anyone know?
Also, are there any pros or cons about going to a gun show to pick one up?

Cyanide_357
September 14, 2005, 12:23 AM
I have a P2000 9mm v2. I absolutely love it. I found that the xl grip pannel works best for me (I have long fingers).

I plan on using it as my ccw piece when I go for my license (not 21 yet). (though I am considering buying a sig p229 - when cash be comes available - poor college student and all)

As it has been said before, you can't go wrong with a HK. But it is up to you whether you believe the price is worth it or not. You should search around to find a better price, that is unless the amount your local shop is really that much, then you should support your local shop.

If the gun fits you (or your wife), and you can afford it - go for it, as they are highly recommended.

Cyanide

Christian 812
September 14, 2005, 05:37 AM
Hey Stateman,

Your trick is even better ! Using both the index and thumb to eject the mag works faster and seems more natural ! Thanks.

Half-Price Assassin
September 14, 2005, 10:49 AM
I use to own a P2000 V2 9mm. i liked the way it felt in my hand, but i hated the trigger. all i can say is unless it is a V3 see if you can try one first. it has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG trigger pull, i kept hitting about 6" to 8" left (at 25yards). with my GLOCK 17, i can hit close to center. i wanted to make mine a V3 (with the DA/SA and decocker), but the gun store i bought it at, refused to order the parts (said they didnt like ordering from HK, or dealing with them), so i needed to call HK and ask for the V3 P2000 parts. but the dealer i bought it from said they would install the parts for around $50-$70. so i went to a gun show, and traded in for a 99% used USPc 9mm V1. oh and i payed over $900 (P2000), for mine with tax. over all i liked it, but the trigger pull (the HK L.E.M. trigger), does take some getting use to (did like the second strike capability though over my GLOCK).