PDA

View Full Version : Failure to extract magazine related?

Capt. Charlie
September 12, 2005, 04:29 PM
I have a S&W Mod. 645 that, prior to this, has performed flawlessly for 2 decades. The original magazines were dropped one too many times and I had to replace them. I bought six "Pro-mag" magazines, which is supposed to fit the 645, the 6045, and so on. Now I hadn't fired it for a few months, but when I put it away, it was working great. The first time I used the new magazines, every other case has failed to extract. I've inspected and cleaned under the extractor, and I can't see any problem there. Could the new magazines cause this or is it a coincidence and I have another problem?

jonathon
September 12, 2005, 04:54 PM
I have no idea how the mags could cause it.. but I am no gunsmith.

Since they are Pro-Mags... and Pro-Mags don't have the most stellar reputation, I'd try a genuine S&W Mag and see.

Majic
September 12, 2005, 08:11 PM
See if your chamber is clean.

zippyfusenet
September 12, 2005, 08:14 PM
Completely different gun, maybe not relevant to your case. I'm a new shooter, so don't laugh too hard at my ignorant antics. When my Ruger .22/45 was brand new, it performed flawlessly. After a few weekly trips to the range, I began having frequent FTEs. Then I learned that I need to clean and lube the magazines, too. :eek: I've scarcely had an FTE since.

Capt. Charlie
September 13, 2005, 05:32 PM
Bump. Also, mods, please move this to The Smithy; I probably should have put this there in the first place, and I don't want to double post. Thanks.