PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering Buckmark Models

bronicadave
September 12, 2005, 03:31 PM
I've decided on the Browning Buckmark but am confused over the models. After looking at the web site I thought the Standard was the model I wanted. When I went to the shop all they had were Campers and the guy said that was what they considered the standard model. What I am looking for is 5-6 inch barrel, adjustable sights, plain grips so no Rosewood or anything fancy. Primarily it will be a range gun and I may participate in the leagues at the gun club. In a couple years I expect I'll teach my son to shoot it as well (he's only 7 now). Thanks.

Lenore
September 12, 2005, 08:00 PM
I might be wrong, but I think the standard models have a flat-sided barrel, and the Campers have a tapered bull. All I know is I love the Camper that I have. A few quirks, but a great gun. :)

Marcus
September 12, 2005, 09:55 PM
Right you are,the Camper has the round barrel. Of course so does the Bullseye,except it`s longer and fluted. And the Silouette except it`s larger in dia. and has a rail..or is that the Bullseye that has the larger dia. barrel and the ..wait...or was that the Varmint...no that`s much longer and has a hooded front sight...I think. You want real confussion? Mine is listed as a Buckmark Micro Plus Nickle SE Wood Laminate Pro Target 4" Bull. That`s a darn long name for a little gun! ;) Marcus

res1b3uq
September 13, 2005, 02:25 PM
Marcus, you really got things straightened out. My suggestion is if these guys think the camper is the standard gun, find another dealer. The camper is the bottom of the line gun. The Standard is a little better constructed. The top rail on a camper is plastic, and breakage has been a problem. The rail on the Standard is cast aluminum. Thats enough reason for me.

Lenore
September 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
I guess I better order a backup top rail, along with extra lockwashers, plastic recoil post, and snap ring. I have to admit there are too many small parts in the Camper that, if lost, would disable the gun. I've already lost the snap ring for the recoil rod once and it took almost two weeks to get another one. (I did mention that this gun has quirks, didn't I?) :)

Gewehr98
September 13, 2005, 11:04 PM
I *believe* by simply swapping the grips on my 5 1/2" slabside steel-barreled Standard Model, I have created a Buckmark Plus or Field Plus model. (Not a big fan of Tru-Glo sights, however)

Before:

http://mauser98.com/buckmarkright2.jpg

After:

http://mauser98.com/buckmarkright.jpg

Don't forget, guys, the bigger barrels aren't necessarily heavier, either. On the Target, Field, and older Varmint and Silhouette models, they run steel barrel liner tubes in an alloy outer sleeve.

xhair
October 2, 2005, 12:22 PM
I just purchased a Buckmark Standard about a month ago. I've shot it once and so far so good. When I was calling around and going to stores, the Standard was sometimes called and labeled "slabside". I wanted a low priced 22 and I was considering the Camper because it was the cheapest in the Buckmark line. But I read about the problems with the plastic sight base, so went with the Standard. If you haven't bought one yet, consider getting one at The Sports Authority (may still be called Oshmans in some places). I bought mine there for $249+tax, lower than guns shops and online.

www.rimfirecentral.com is a good site for all kinds of 22LR info.

Logs
October 3, 2005, 08:41 AM
I have a camper model, works really well. Mine is a little picky on ammo unlike my ruger 22/45, but if I stick to CCI's then it shoots like a champ.