PDA

View Full Version : coulda had a 9..(?)

jcims
September 12, 2005, 02:55 PM
I thought i finally made up my mind.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9151LLarge.jpg

It's just so purty. After shopping around Bud's and another few places, the guy down the road said he'll order me a new one for $660 w/20% down. Sure, it's $25 more than Buds after shipping and FFL, but i'll weasel something out of him to make up for it.

I was all content with that decision, and started looking at what i was going to put through it... hmmm... every time i see a box of .45, there's a box of 9mm right beside it for half the price... For some reason it's something i can live with when i'm trying to decide, but afterwards, it's a wet blanket. My bro even has a reloader, and i figured i'd be picking up dies with the gun. The problem is i've spent the last two weeks pumping $100 fill up into my fat hog expedition, and i'm kind of getting 'big dog'd out.

So, anyone out there pick up a .45 recently and lament b/c it costs so much to shoot? It's no BMG, but it'l lighten your wallet for sure.

Realistically i don't think i'll care once i have it in my sweaty little hands...but i just have to secondguess myself 1.5 million times before i can make a decision...

denfoote
September 12, 2005, 03:05 PM
So, anyone out there pick up a .45 recently and lament b/c it costs so much to shoot? It's no BMG, but it'l lighten your wallet for sure.

Every time I pick up a box of ammo!!
Solution: .22LR conversion kit!!

tex45acp
September 12, 2005, 03:08 PM
If you are looking for something economical to shoot......why not get a .22 rimfire handgun.

Or you could get into reloading and the .45acp can be shot for pennies a round. Reloading is a real stress buster for me and fun as well. I like the fact that I can taylor my loads to my needs.

Don't buy something to protect yourself because the ammunition is economical to shoot.

With that being said, if you are really wanting a 9mm handgun then buy a 9mm handgun. Since you are buying it to shoot inexpensive ammunition try to buy the best 9mm handgun you can afford.

JMHO.....

jcims
September 12, 2005, 03:22 PM
I think that's my problem...my practical side (9mm cheaper) is fighting against my, uh, non-practical side (.45 bigger). I do plan on reloading a ton.

This is the first pistol i've purchased, which is why i think i'm so hung up. I don't really want to do the 22 just yet, but that's next...(buckmark i think)

Topthis
September 12, 2005, 05:22 PM
There are a number of things to consider, first off...which caliber do you feel more comfortable shooting? Have you rented and shot enough different calibers to make a decision? Then, which make and model feels the best etc. Try a few out before you buy. The ammunition will the MOST expensive thing concerning your gun, so if you think you might be afraid to shoot it because of the ongoing cost of ammunition...get the 9mm. Besides, a gun is no good unless you are proficient with it, and the only way to become proficient with your weapon...is to practice with it.