PDA

View Full Version : Extractor gone wild

Renegademrnate23
September 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
I was at the range with my Taurus 24/7 .40 yesterday and realized that the extractor was really tossing the spent shells pretty far, in fact it started pissing a guy off about 4 bays to my right. Any suggestions? Or is this just something that I and others around me will have to deal with. The gun is new, about 300-400 rounds into it and I guess it has been doing this the whole time, but this is the first I (or someone near me) has noticed. Let me add that I suck at gunsmithing type things and will need a dumbed down version of any suggestions. Thanks and I appreciate any comments!

Zekewolf
September 12, 2005, 12:56 PM
Get a recoil spring (check out gunsprings.com for guidelines) that's appropriate for your .40. More-than-likely, your Taurus is undersprung. Problem has nothing at all to do with the extractor.

Te Anau
September 12, 2005, 01:14 PM
Some guns just do that though.Ive never seen a CZ-52 that didnt throw the empties at least 20 feet.

shield20
September 12, 2005, 02:05 PM
Have the range install blockers of some sort. Went thru this with my .45, as other shooters (to the right) were more into single action type accuracy, while I was squeezing off rounds in more of a combat practice mode. Anyway, the next week they had screens up between the bays. Before that I was also thinking to offer to switch with the shooters so my brass wouldn't offend anyone.

spacemanspiff
September 12, 2005, 02:11 PM
any shooter that gets irritated by a shower of brass should always choose the bays on teh far left. if they continue to choose lanes that put them directly in the field of my brass, they have no right to complain.

right WA?

Te Anau
September 12, 2005, 04:16 PM
Yah-chumps!

jonathon
September 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
My CZ52 threw brass about 12 feet before an 18.5# spring.. after more like 7-8 feet.

Zekewolf
September 12, 2005, 05:09 PM
jonathan "gets it." ;)

IZinterrogator
September 12, 2005, 08:12 PM
Problem has nothing at all to do with the extractor.Yup, the fired brass is hitting the ejector too fast. Ejectors are usually fixed, so you have to slow the slide down with a heavier recoil spring. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Average Joe
September 13, 2005, 07:52 PM
Be happy, thats a good sign, its when your extractor doesn't throw the brass is when you have a problem. If the guy next to you gets pissed off, offer to switch places with him.

tinkanting
September 15, 2005, 01:30 PM
try extra power recoil spring, might work

michael t
September 15, 2005, 01:34 PM
This way your getting 2 hits with every shot. Such a deal. Might try a spring change or you might get hit. :D