PDA

View Full Version : Cz P-01

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 11:35 AM
I think this is the right name for this gun.

I read a review online and the reviewer RAVED about this gun, I think at www.madogre.com

I saw one for $490. After holding it, I found it to be average in comfort. I DID not like the narrow/thin slide because it was hard to rack the gun. I also did not like the way the frame overlapped the slide (on normal guns the slide overlaps the frame). I could not see any design benefit to this; in fact it seems that it would encourage more dirt or water to get under the slide if the user is in the field.

No better feeling than a Glock or Springfield XD, which I LOVE, and for around the same pricetag. That was my impression.

Any opinions?

dirksterg30
September 12, 2005, 01:58 PM
I have a CZ P-01 that I stake my family's life upon - I love this gun. For me. it fits the hand a lot better than a Glock, Sig, Beretta... and it points quite well. Of course, if it doesn't fit your hand better and point better than a Glock..., it's probably not the best choice for you.

I will admit that the slide riding inside the frame makes it harder to rack the slide, but the advantage is better accuracy than if the slide were riding outside the frame. As far as material getting between the slide and frame due to this layout, I don't think that is a concern.

They are quite durable guns - went through some rather extensive NATO testing:
http://www.czusa.com/07.01.php?msgid=37

Here's my home defense setup:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/dirksterg30/CZs/P-01fromsidewM-3SMALL.jpg

AMT8951
September 12, 2005, 02:53 PM
Ergonomics are largely a matter of perspecive and hand shape/size. The whole slide thing always seemed a little odd to me too. However, you don't hear the people who own and use these guns complaining.

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's the CZ P01. I got the name wrong before.

I've heard good things, I just have trouble racking the slide because it's so narrow.

Cool gun though.

MEDDAC19
September 12, 2005, 03:57 PM
I have the CZ 2075 RAMI in .40 and love it. The subcompact is even smaller and more narrow than the P01, I find that if you grasp the slide like you do a Ruger MK II it is pretty easy to rack. The price you quoted is a little high, you should be able to get it at a lower price. When I got the RAMI the 2075 Compact was $410.00 and the P01 was just a little higher. I got the RAMI for less than the $490.00 you were quoted on the P01. If you are interested, you should look around for a better price.

Mulliga
September 12, 2005, 05:04 PM
The inside-the-rails configuration goes give less room on the slide for racking it back, but a standard left hand "palm and four fingers rack" should work just fine.

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
And will they make the CZ P01 in a .40, which is my caliber of preference? Or is my best bet the CZ 75?

I'd like to shoot one to see what it's all about.

Sulaco2
September 12, 2005, 05:47 PM
Trigger reach is very long for most people. Only real down side except for WT and size. Oh wait thats two more. :eek:

Bullrock
September 12, 2005, 06:27 PM
Trigger reach is very long for most people. Only real down side except for WT and size. Oh wait thats two more.
Maybe on a 75B, but my P-01 fits great in my medium size hand. The best semi-auto I own...Deadly accurate, no hiccups. Ever!
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14974&stc=1

Topthis
September 12, 2005, 06:30 PM
Bullrock...that is some testimony coming from a man who I suspect, owns just about every single handgun there is on this planet...maybe I am over doing it a little. The fact that you have said so many good things about that particular CZ model, I have been toying with idea of getting one...but I really don't want to get another 9mm.

Catbird
September 12, 2005, 07:38 PM
dirksterg30 and I obviously think alike. Here's my P-01 that I use for home defense. I paid $429 for mine NIB about 1 1/2 years ago. I own many dozens of handguns... this one fits my hand perfectly, is more accurate than I ever dreamed and has been 100% reliable.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/CZP01-Pics002.jpg

mbott
September 12, 2005, 08:27 PM
And will they make the CZ P01 in a .40, which is my caliber of preference? Or is my best bet the CZ 75?

They did ... sorta of. The CZ 75 Compact .40 is about as close to the 9mm P-01 that you can get. However, there are these differences:

1) Steel framed instead of alloy, so it's a bit heavier.
2) Equiped with an ambi-safety instead of the decocker.

I have both and I carry both.

--
Mike

Eric Larsen
September 13, 2005, 10:30 AM
Mbott nailed it..they do make the CZ Compact in a 40! Most people find the ergonomics of the CZ guns, especially the Compact to be very user friendly.
But you cant fit all of the hands all of the time..........:D

I carry one and its like an Am. Express......just dont leave home without it.

Shoot well.

leadcounsel
September 13, 2005, 10:48 AM
Regarding the P-01 and/or the 75, can you carry it cocked and locked? Or is the first shot double action and the subsequent shots single action?

I've never shot one and am curious to try one.

Currently my favorite handguns are the DAO Glocks and the Springfield XDs, and I carry the latter due to the added grip safety.

mbott
September 13, 2005, 12:00 PM
Cocked and locked with the P-01 is not possible: it's a decocker model. Decocked with the decocker lowers the hammer to the half-cocked notch. Not quite a full double action pull on the first shot. If you fully decock manually, then you have the full double action pull on the first shot. After the first shot, it's all single action. The P-01 does use a firing pin block so it will only file when the trigger is fully depressed.

The CZ 75 compact .40 has a manual ambi-safety, so cocked and locked is possible. Or, it can be decocked to the half-cocked notch or fully decocked. Both manually. Safety only works when the gun is fully cocked. Like the P-01, the CZ 75 Compact .40 uses a firing pin block so it will only file when the trigger is fully depressed.

--
Mike

chris in va
September 14, 2005, 09:50 AM
I have the frankengun 40P version. It's alright, trigger is not near nice as my 75BD's but it works. The only reason I keep it around is due to .40, otherwise I would have sold it a while back.

Not mine, but you can see it uses the P01 frame...http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5874/cz40p7mb.jpg

leadcounsel
September 14, 2005, 10:09 AM
I've never shot one, but the more I learn about the CZ's I like them. I also think they are beautiful guns. I may acquire one someday.

Easy E
September 24, 2005, 01:32 PM
A contractor that does work for our factory had just bought one and brought it in to show me.

I'll be picking mine up at the end of this week.

281 Quad Cam
September 24, 2005, 02:05 PM
Not totally related but I fired a 9mm CZ 85 combat the other day, and I am completely infatuated with CZ's now. I am not a big guy and have perhaps smaller than average hands, But the full double action pull was very easy and smooth, Infact it felt like no more than 5-6 pounds. The single action trigger was absolutely marvelous... Better than the 1911 kimber eclipse target I shot at the same time. The all steel frame wasn't too heavy, but it absorbed what seemed like all the recoil. No failures of any kind, ofcourse... and it made me a better shot on my first try with it than my own glock.

CZ are serious guns.

LH2
September 24, 2005, 05:16 PM
On the CZ forum, complaints about P-01 triggers being horrible out of the box are common. I've only handled one and it was pretty bad.

Still it's a pretty comfy gun, with longer than average trigger reach though. If I ran across one with a nice trigger I'd be tempted.

281 Quad Cam
September 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
I have read that the CZ triggers get worlds better with use. The one I became so fond of is well shot, many thousands of rounds. Dry fire it.

Marcus
September 24, 2005, 07:16 PM
The PO-1 is a nice gun. I have a 75B and a CZ-40P myself (same frame as the PO-1,but with a 4" .40 top end with Sig style lockup). Both are VERY accurate and VERY reliable. In my hands they`re very comfortable and point exactly where they should. Through many thousands of rounds both have been flawless.
The slide in frame system is called the Petter system. It`s also used on the uber expensive and fantastically accurate Sig P-210 so there may be something to it. Since the CZ-75`s track record for reliability in combat far outshines any other wondernine it doesn`t seem dirt or water getting in is an issue. As far as being harder to grip,I dunno. It`s as easy as any other auto as far as I can tell. If you want a little challenge try my .44 Automag with dual 20lb. springs! ;)
It`s true the triggers on the PO-1 and 40P aren`t as good as earlier CZs. They were the first to use "more modern" manufacturing techniques that don`t involve the hand fitting and cycling of the trigger mechanism to break the trigger in prior to sale. My 40P came with several snap caps. When I first got it the trigger wasn`t bad but it sure wasn`t good either. I used the provided snap caps for several hundred rounds of dry firing and it was much better. After shooting it for a couple years it`s as good as my earlier 75B which is as good as I`ve felt on any service pistol and better than most. Marcus

leadcounsel
July 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
Well,
I did it!

I finally got a chance to shoot a wide offering of CZ pistols. LOVE "EM!

One person offered to take me shooting at the Cherry Creek Gun Club in Aurora, Colorado, to demonstrate a variety of CZ pistols. He was extremely nice and helpful and I really liked shooting the CZ pistols. I found them to be very accurate. I did have a few failures to feed in the ones I was shooting. The guns were newer and maybe not broken in yet.

While there, I met another very friendly member and CZ owner. He was selling, and he sold me, a near new CZ P01 with a trigger job for $300 (He has two more and just selling his redundant pistols). I shot about 200 rounds through it and it is more accurate than I am, smooth, comfortable, and didn't have a single problem.

I also met another person at the range selling a CZ 75B 9mm in Satin Nickel finish. It was in near new condition. I shot about 100 or so rounds through it and it is also very accurate, very comfortable, and an excellent pistol with no problems. Because I had literally just purchased the P01 it was hard to justify buying another CZ 9mm right there and then, but if the price was right I would do it. He was selling evidently because he just never shoots it and won it in a contest. He was asking $375 and he was negotiable to $350. It was a deal I couldn't say no to.

So, I've got the bug too! And I'm glad. Great guns.

Bullrock
July 12, 2006, 01:57 PM
Congratulations!!! :D Does this mean you have found an auto loader to rival your Glocks? ;)

Just think how many others wait your awakening. There are some well made, reliable, accurate, and beautiful guns to be had, and I have been blessed to have owned a few of them.

Best of Luck

HorseSoldier
July 12, 2006, 02:08 PM
So, I've got the bug too! And I'm glad. Great guns.

Yeah, the only downside I've encountered with CZs thus far is that they are addictive . . .

leadcounsel
July 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
Still love the Glock for its many great qualities.

But it's great to add another 'love' to your life, isn't it! And at such a bargain of a price.

Bullrock
July 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
That it is! That it is!!! :D

Topthis
July 12, 2006, 09:19 PM
To add to that...I have always believed that Variety is the Spice of life. Yeah I know...lame!! Shut the Hell Up!!

robctwo
July 13, 2006, 12:23 AM
I have the CZ75BD and the P-01. Put a Kadet Kit with it and you have a great .22 to fit both frames. The best trigger job is 5,000 .22 through the gun.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/PICT1498.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/robctwo/PICT1632.jpg

Bullrock
July 13, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hey, when I saw your pic, I first thought you had illegally immigrated across the Maine border, and swiped my P01. :eek: I was about to run and see if my P01 was still in my posession when I noticed the.40 calibre on your pic...:o

Here's my 9mm with Hakan's...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/bullrock/P01WhiteBirch.jpg

dirksterg30
July 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the purchase, leadcounsel. I guess you realize that CZs are hazardous to your bank account.:D