PDA

View Full Version : What's the line on decocking - good news/bad news

StL Bill
September 12, 2005, 11:23 AM
I am a newbie to large calibre handguns...have a link on best 9mm going...
I notice that there are decocking models out there. What are they and what's the good new/bad news of such a feature.

I have been looking at CZ 75 model....both B and retro. Any thoughts on the practical differences.

As always thanks for your experience and perspectives

3 weelin geezer
September 12, 2005, 12:07 PM
I don't really pay any attention to it being that I like wheelguns without safeties.
Its supposed to be a good safety feature if you have muddy/bloody/greasy hands. I suppose its a good thing just that its not on a handgun I would used to hunt anything worthwhile like a deer. That gun is a single shot 30-06.

antsi
September 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
Decocking is generally found on DA-SA semiauto pistols.
DA-SA has some advantages and disadvantages.

PLEASE NOTE - I do not necessarily agree with all these supposed advantages and disadvantages, I'm only relating some commonly cited pros and cons.

Advantages:
Heavier trigger pull for first shot (this is purported to reduce unintentional trigger pull under stress)
Light single action pull for follow up shots or "cock-and-aim-precisely" shots

Disadvantages:
Different weight trigger pull between first shot and follow up shots
Need to practice this manual of arms (get in habit of decocking before holstering, for instance)

I personally do like the original SIG pistols, which are DA-SA. Like everything else in engineering/design, it is a compromise - you give something up in favor of something else. It all depends on what's important to you.

If you are going to use a DA-SA pistol, it is very beneficial to have a decocker because it allows you to decock more safely. Otherwise you would have to pull the trigger while gently lowering the hammer in order to decock - which can be done, but is potentially accident prone especially if you are loading and unloading your gun on a daily basis at places other than shooting ranges (as in, if the gun is your duty pistol or daily carry piece).

spacemanspiff
September 12, 2005, 12:32 PM
all depends on your individual sense of comfort when handling a loaded gun. some are comfortable with single action, cocked and locked, some are comfortable with no safety, double-action-almost glocks. (no, please don't go into a rant about whatever action the glock is, please, i beg you, save it for someone who cares).

personally i carry a 1911 (okay, if you snobby snobs want to get technical i carry a 1911-clone) cocked and locked, but every now and then i break out the Sig 229 and carry it decocked.

edit - you really do need to at least fondle all of the DA/SA/DAK/DAO guns to see what you like best. personally, i dislike walthers QA. sigs new DAK is weird and slightly confusing. like the poster above, original sig DA/SA pistols are great.

zzirg
September 12, 2005, 12:41 PM
I prefer the da/sa decocker,its easy access and simple.

Webleymkv
September 12, 2005, 01:14 PM
I like my CZ 75B for among other reasons I can carry it either DA or cocked and locked. The only real disadvantage of this setup is that it must be decocked using the trigger (can be unnerving with a live round in the chamber). But as long as you use two hands and are careful, it's really no big deal. If one feels so inclined, CZ also makes the 75BD that has a decocker in place of the manual safety. This model cannot be carried cocked and locked however.

shield20
September 12, 2005, 02:02 PM
For a DA semi - almost a necessesity, and the norm. I am leaning more towards liking the frame mounted style of a Sig instead of the more obtrusive slide-mounted safety/decocker found on a Beretta.
Overall, I prefer a SA (for the better consistent trigger).

OBIWAN
September 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
Decockers are pretty much standard on DA-SA handguns

They allow you to safely lower the hammer with a round chambered

Avizpls
September 12, 2005, 05:19 PM
I want a gun that I can carry
cocked with the safety on
chamberd with the hammer down and ready in DA
chambered with the hammer down and safty on

but if I can only pick from the more common setups, I would take either a DAO with no manual safety (or safety off) or a SAO cocked/locked

Now, I have a DAO Taurus, soon Ill switch to a Kimber Ultra Carry SAO

Average Joe
September 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
Once you get used to a decocker, you'll like it.

jrklaus
September 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
StL Bill, someone on another thread noted that the bar which blocks the hammer with a PPK-style decocker will eventually become brittle by being "slammed." On a firearm with an external hammer, therefore, it makes sense to have your thumb on the hammer before you engage the decocker, then ease the hammer into lowered position...saves wear and tear on the metal.

Only works on a model with an external hammer, of course. :D

Just $0.02 worth of FYI....

chris in va
September 14, 2005, 09:46 AM
I pondered this extensively before buying my first CCW. Your choices are pretty much DAO, DA/SA with decocker and safety models. Me being a new shooter I wanted something I could simply pull and fire without having to train for 'cocked and locked', swiping off the safety, and I had a few episodes at the range where I forgot to disengage the safety and of course, nothing went boom.

The nice thing about the CZ is the half notch decock. Trigger pull is still fairly short compared to DAO but is perfectly safe to carry in that mode and is ready to go. The SIG I rented decocked almost all the way down, with a long first DA pull.