PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22

Trockstroh
September 11, 2005, 09:42 PM
I was looking at one that had a laser sight on it and it just seemed like it would be fun to plink around with. What do you guys know about them? Are they reliable? and how accurate are they? any input would be great

Thanks

varoadking
September 11, 2005, 09:55 PM
A bona fide POS.

IMHO, of course.

Zinger084
September 11, 2005, 10:13 PM
have you ever shot one?

anyways... i have owned one for 3 years and put 16 different kinds of ammo through it, each a brick in size, with no problems. my buddy liked mine soo much, he bought the 5 inch with a laser on it.

he also just bought the p99c, a gun i have owned for a year now, one for each...

glock19er
September 12, 2005, 05:15 AM
had 2 of them within a year .the first one jammed all the time.the second one worked great but the pin that was near the safety kept coming out.conculsion is both were pos and ended up with a ruger single six and never looked back

tjhands
September 12, 2005, 08:37 AM
Just had my P22 out yesterday. When I first git it, I only used Mini-Mag ammo in it, because everyone said that it wouldn't shoot the cheap stuff without jamming. Just for fun I used cheap bulk .22lr and it worked just fine. The gun has not burped once in about 500 rounds. Ans yes, it's a fun plinking gun. Accuracy is very decent at 25 yards.....not as good as you'd get with a Ruger MK or a Browning probably, but it sure is a fun little gun.

payne
September 12, 2005, 12:17 PM
P22, good quality gun in my personal experience. I have put nothing but bulk ammo through it without one single problem. Over 5000 rounds and still pumping them out. Buy the gun; it's a fun plinker :D

Henry Baker
September 12, 2005, 01:49 PM
My P22 is a great fun gun. Over 1,100 rounds throught it of the cheap stough and no problems. Try running a serch, it should tell you what you need to know.

Kar-el
September 12, 2005, 07:22 PM
Bought two P(OS)-22's to teach my boys to shoot. 3.4 and 5 inch barrels-they fit their hands nicely (they were younger).

After having to stand behind them and show them how to clear ftf, fte, ftload, the safety slipping on while shooting, and the barrel retention nut constantly loosening, I figured they were well versed in crappy hanguns and bought two old high standard sentinels (nine shot revolvers). Now they have fun learning to actually shoot a handgun. :D

P.S. after the third time back to S&W for "repairs", S&W finally agreed that they would not feed anything but Maximags (with which they worked most of the time) and sent me two new guns................which also don't work consistantly with anything but Maximags. :barf:

osuflipster
September 20, 2005, 08:07 PM
Just added a P22 to my collection two weeks ago, and it has worked great ever since Over 1000 Rds already it is that much fun. Using CCI Mini Mag solid bullet not Hollow point, and for real fun try some Stingers, fun range gun period. If you want an accurate long barrel gun get Buckmark(Love mine excellent quality and trigger). The Walther is a fun toy nothing more, buy it and use it as such you won't be disappointed. Pay $400 for the 5inch version instead of a Buckmark and you'll be disappointed. Mine was $259, I amy add the laser roughly $100 from S&W

BerettaCougar
September 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
Almost 10k rd's through my p22..

And I love it, It jammed a few times early on, I let it go 2k rd's without a clean, it was sooo gunked up you could see the slide moving back really slow after each shot, it was fun to see..

I cleaned it and it still was dirty, I had to let it sit in CLP for about 20 hours and it came out spotless..

I put 550 rd's through it per range session, and I go shooting once or twice a week. I see my p22 lasting another 10k easily, and if it doesnt...oh well new slides are 35 dollars!!!

Trockstroh
September 20, 2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all of the info, I just ordered one. It is just for fun and $250 isn't that big of a deal. I will give a range report as soon as I take it out. Thanks again for all of the info.

Todd

kart racer
September 20, 2005, 10:47 PM
I got one around a year ago and it has stumbled a few times,but when it did it was because the barrel nut came loose or the stovebolt-the phillips head screw on the right side of the receiver came loose.It probably has 6000 rounds thru.Shoot some cci stingers thru it near dark-the fireball is pretty impressive.

kikilee
September 21, 2005, 01:39 AM
+1 On the POS. Had one that came with both barrels. Gray frame, cool looking gun. Good thing it was cool to look at because you couldn't shoot the darn thing. FTF, FTE, mag falling out to name a few. Never again.

bulbboy
September 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
Over 2000 rounds through mine in 3 months - ZERO jams or misfeeds! Love this gun - a blast to shoot!

varoadking
September 21, 2005, 07:57 PM
i have owned one for 3 years and put 16 different kinds of ammo through it, each a brick in size, with no problems.

Not sure they"ve been on the market for 3 years...

Anyway, yes I've shot one, when they didn't jam - I bought 2 of the damned things - second time thinking they really couldn't have been as bad as I thought. Dumb move. My experience is like that of GLOCK19er and Ka-rel...

Different strokes I guess, but personally, I think they are a POS and I'd sooner flush $250 down the crapper than buy another one...

r.w. schrack
September 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
Have had mine for about a year, approx. 1500 rds thru it of walmart green box, only problem I had was Mag #44a jams on ocassion but the 36a's work fine. The other little problem was the barrel nut worked loose with a little low torque lock tight it fixed the problem. several guys who hang out at the gun shop put the 5inch barrel on. It didn't make much of a differance in the acuracy. figure that out?????? When i first bought it I called the factory and asked about the problems thay gave me good info. and said about the earley mags being bad and the barrel nut might tend to loosen and the pin in the safety might work loose and gave me several tips on how to prevent this. overall I love it and it is a blast to shoot. Hope this helps, enjoy. Schrack

CraZkid
September 22, 2005, 12:28 AM
C'mon guys, they aren't all worthless POSs. This one would make a half-decent paper weight and a laser pointer!

oldmantod
September 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
+1 on the fun to shoot comment...

not a single mis-feed or ftf on mine...

T

rmcginley
September 23, 2005, 12:55 PM
Add up another +1 for me. I've put about 1500 rounds through mine. It seems to favor CCI ammo either Standard .22LR or Stingers. However, it does not like the bulk Federals for sure.

I sometimes wonder if I have the manual dexterity to put it back together again after I've field stripped it for cleaning. The spring that slips over the guide rod is a pain to line up when you're trying to put the slide back on the frame. Like pushing a rope...

kkramer673
September 23, 2005, 04:06 PM
I've had a P22 since they were first introduced and it's worked perfectly with any ammo I use. Usually fire bulk-boxed ammo, but other types as well, all w/no problems.

Catbird
September 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
In spite of the numerous negative reviews/opinions expressed within the various gun boards, I finally bought one yesterday... nothing fancy, just the all-black version with the 3.4" barrel. I have been admiring them for a couple of years, however I kept reading all of the bad experiences others were having. As I said, yesterday, I decided to *go for it*. I DID make sure that I bought a 2005 version evidenced by the *AF* date code.

So far, I've only had a chance to shoot 50-75 rounds of various types/brands of ammo and performance has been flawless (including Remington SUSONICs). I'm not sure what it is, maybe the size, but this is one fun little gun to *play" with.

I know it's early yet, however I couldn't be happier with my P22. :)

r.w. schrack
September 23, 2005, 11:38 PM
Glad to here you finaly took the plunge, as long as you keep mags and weapon clean you'll be fine. Since you are aware of the little problems such as the barrel nut and back safety pin, you can take steps so these don't occur. It is a fun little weapon to fire and I sometimes carry mine for back up. Good Luck R.W. Schrack