PDA

View Full Version : In Defense of the M1911A1

WillBrayjr
September 11, 2005, 02:18 PM
Having "heard" many stories on how unreliable mid-price 1911A1s are I figured I would ask everyone. I understand why some people think you have to either send them for alot of expensive work or pay out the @$$ for high end Wilsons or Les Baers. This simply can't be true, I have shot everything from RIAs to Wilsons and didn't notice any difference in reliability just fit and finish.

CDignition
September 11, 2005, 02:24 PM
hee hee..yeah, they are all equaly unreliable..:) :D :p

Greg Bell
September 11, 2005, 02:26 PM
1. Kimber Custom II. Very accurate jammomatic.
2. Colt Commander. Beautiful jammomatic.
3. Springfield Milpec. Unreliable (was about 75% reliable with hardball) in generally, unremarkable otherwise.

I've given up. Although I kept my Wilson and McCormick mag and my Royal guard IWB holster just in case.

WillBrayjr
September 11, 2005, 02:39 PM
I'm still finding it hard to believe. Come to my neck of the woods and prove that 1911A1s are unreliable :rolleyes:

jacobtowne
September 11, 2005, 02:44 PM
Well, now here's an interesting business - mid-range and expensive contemporary 1911s being unreliable?
I have two .45 autos, but they are no longer reasonably priced, and both are stock US Army - M1911 Colt (1917) and M1911A1 Ithaca (1944).
I use 200 grain cast SWC loads, and both function perfectly.
Don't make 'em like they used to? :)
JT

Seraph
September 11, 2005, 02:46 PM
Springfield Armory Mil Spec: $489, exceptional fit and finish for a so-called Mil Spec, perfect lockup with a near-match fit barrel bushing, over 5000 rounds without a failure, she's been a Relentless Tackdriver from day one.

Springfield Armroy GI Champion: $450, overall fit and finish on this one are more in line with what one expects on a Mil Spec type gun, but this Champion has a tighter slide to frame fit than on my Mil Spec. Almost as accurate as my Mil Spec, with over 1000 trouble free rounds through her, this one's also been a Relentless Tackdriver.

Henry Baker
September 11, 2005, 02:51 PM
My father purchased a Colt 1911 WWI configuration in 1967. Since then we have put Well over 16,ooo rounds through it. It was new when purchased but is now well worn and edges are almost round. We clean it and take care of it, that's just how much we use it. It has NEVER malfunctioned with ANY ammo and is very accurate. It's possible that this is an iscolated case but I doubt it. Also, this is a 1911 not a 1911A1. People who "bad mouth" true 1911s either don't know, have never used one, or are the few who got bad ones.

Henry Baker

Capt. Charlie
September 11, 2005, 03:13 PM
If we're talking the original 1911's, it depends on who made them. During the WW's, just about everybody was commissioned to crank them out by the hundreds. International Harvester, Singer Sewing Machine Co., and lots of other companies you'd never suspect were making them. I was in charge of the small arms locker on board ship, and we had some (can't remember who made them) that rattled so bad you though the slide was going to fall off. We also had two Singer's that I would kill to have today. They were as well built as any Wilson and were true match quality. I always kept one back for myself :D .

OBIWAN
September 11, 2005, 04:33 PM
I have owned

A SA Loaded Operator

An STI Trojan in .45

An STI Trojan in 9mm

A Kimber TLE/RLII

A Kimber 25th Anniv Custom I

A Colt Gunsite CCO

All have been dead reliable...still own the last three

Just lucky...don't think so

joecad
September 11, 2005, 05:35 PM
i don't own many but the ones i do all have been reliable....only one ( the llama) needed a little fit and finish work which i did myself.
i can't remember the last time any of my 1911's or 1911-like had a malfunction of any kind, and i put the ammo thru them all, all the time.
i just can't can't see paying the kind of cash that some of the "upper end" models ask. maybe if i was competition shooting, but even then it would be a stretch.

i own,
charles daly efs
springfield armory mil-spec
llama minimax 45 ("1911 like")

WillBrayjr
September 11, 2005, 07:16 PM
JMB's 45acp Govt auto has changed very little over the years internally. The only real change was an external extractor. Other than that just cosmetic changes like safeties, sights and so on.

roger-ruger
September 11, 2005, 11:29 PM
You can never put a good 1911 down. :)
My chinese 1911 will soon be arriving 2 weeks from now (my 2nd actually in 12months) and am willing to put the gun to test against any caliber, make and brand. A race to 1000RNDS on your choice of ammo and my choice of ammo. 1st to MALF loses the contest and his pride, nothing more.

Any takers? Im in RP send a representative and a cam. Waiting 12nn by the church tower :D

Primer
September 11, 2005, 11:36 PM
The first 1911 I bought was a few years back. A Colt commander model and I think I payed around $700 for it. Never had one problem and it was surprisingly accurate. It ate everything I fed it without a hickup. Been a 1911 fan ever since.

Alaskanmonte
September 12, 2005, 12:53 AM
I owned a Springfield 1911 and it never had any problems in about 3000 rounds. I don't own it any more but I plan to pick up another 1911 very soon.

Webleymkv
September 12, 2005, 01:28 PM
The old "loose as a goose" GI 1911's were quite reliable but not the most accurate firearms ever made. Browning did not design the gun to hit bullseyes but rather man sized targets which it did. Some run into trouble when trying to accurize one by tightening up the tolerances. The loose fitting parts is what made them bothe reliable and relatively innacurate. My neigbor thinks many guns are innacurate because he is used to shooting poker chips with his bull-barreled Ruger Mk II, not quite apples to apples. Also, some older guns have trouble with hollowpoints as they weren't around yet when the gun was manufactured.

kgpcr
September 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
I own several Springfield 1911's and not one problem with alot of rounds through them. My double stack is my favorit handgun. my milspec stailess is a great shooter as well. All my friends shoot springers and they love them as well. One had a ton of problems and when i found out he was using XXXmags i took both the mags and smashed them at the range. I gave him two of my good mags and not one problem since. he could not beilive the problem was with the mags.

tex45acp
September 12, 2005, 03:28 PM
My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory WWII GI Champion. This gun is about as plane jane, zero bells or whistles and you could get. I bought this gun for a song (cheap) new in box. I have heard that a 1911 without a barrel bushing won't shoot for squat. I beg to differ.....mine has no bushing and is a tack driver and so I kept it. I have since customized it to my liking, much cheaper than I could have bought the same gun for from the factory.

I also own a Kimber TLE II and a Wilson CQB. Both are much more expensive and the increased fit, finish and function are evident. They too are great shooters, with the Wilson the best of them all. You would think the slide on this gun is moving on lubricated bearings......this is what you get for $2000.00.

Buying the perfect handgun that exibits zero problems out of the box is like buying a new car in today's world. It's a hit and miss situation and even the upper end cars have their problems, and this is why they all have warranties.

tinkanting
September 15, 2005, 01:24 PM
could be an internet legend???? :rolleyes:

Avizpls
September 15, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cant WAIT to see how the 'mid priced' but supposedly high end Taurus 1911's do!