PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Gold Cup vs Sig P220 Sport

stang46gt
September 11, 2005, 12:13 PM
I have narrowed down my search to these two, sig p220s or colt 1911 gold cup. Looking for the better target handgun. I'm familiar with the 1911 gold cup but not the p220s. Which would you purchase and why.

I use to be a national match gunsmith and served on the Fort Bliss shooting team but that was 25 years ago and I am jsut now getting back into it, the shooting part not the gunsmith. This forum has some excellent advice from some very experienced shooters. Love this place.

Thanks in advance for the help.

at-home-daddy
September 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
As much as I enjoy my P220ST, I can't imagine the DA/SA trigger of the SIG would be preferable over the 1911 for a target gun. As nice as the SIG triggers are -- and I have three -- they truly can't compete with a finely-tuned 1911 SA trigger. Now I haven't shot either of the two specific pistols you mention, so can't really give an informed comparitive opinion...but when boiling it down to the essentials -- a SIG trigger vs a 1911 trigger for target purposes -- the 1911 would seem the wiser choice.

CobrayCommando
September 11, 2005, 01:12 PM
Ernest Langdon seems to have done pretty well for himself using a SIG P220. He added new sights and modded the trigger to 6.5 pounds DA, 2.75 SA.

stang46gt
September 12, 2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Zekewolf
September 12, 2005, 12:57 PM
Go with the Gold Cup, or, better yet, some other brand of 1911.

stang46gt
September 12, 2005, 04:38 PM
If the 1911 is the better choice of the two (P220S or goldcup), what 1911 would be better than the Gold Cup?

Black Majik
September 12, 2005, 05:09 PM
The Gold Cup is a pretty good target gun, but there are others.

The 1911 market is huge, most 1911s would work well as a target pistol. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm waiting for my DROS on a Les Baer Premier II, which has a match barrel and Adjustable sights. My intended purpose would be for target shooting, but its a little on the expensive side.

Simple fact is, there are so many 1911 makers out there, it'd be difficult to pick. Do some research on the different 1911 varieties out there, find out what bells and whistles you really need, and go from there.

But on a purely target pistol aspect, the 1911 beats the P220 easily.

I'd say the 220 would be more for a defensive weapon, even if it is a Sport model.

Go with a 1911.

stang46gt
September 12, 2005, 05:49 PM
Good info Majik. I will research others, specically Les Baers. I did notice them in my earlier search and they caught my eye. You mentioned "waiting for my DROS". What is a DROS?

CobrayCommando
September 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
I have to say if its going to be a pure target gun the 1911 is probably the better choice, I think if you get the Gold Cup you will be happy.

tipoc
September 12, 2005, 06:38 PM
The Gold Cup is intended as an entry level bullseye target gun but can be easily upgraded should you choose to do so. You may want to take a look over to www.1911forum.com for some background on the many guns that are available.

tipoc

Jim Watson
September 12, 2005, 06:59 PM
The SIG-Sauer P220 Sport is a well made pistol but I cannot think of a sport that it is really competitive at. And no Sigarms afficianado has been able to tell me of one.

What kind of shooting do you have in mind?

By the way, a DROS is the application by which a California resident begs permission of the Schwartzenegger Reich to purchase a firearm.

stang46gt
September 12, 2005, 08:29 PM
I plan to use it for bullseye and perhaps IDPA if I can. I would prefer a gun that I could use for target/competition/defense. Does a Les Baer, let's say premier II, have anything over a gold cup?

Sounds like DROS is a 4 letter word. Glad we do not have that system in NH. I bought 3 handguns in the past 4 months. The 1st two took about 10 minutes each, the last took about an hours because the system was clogged due to the aftermath of katrina.......everyone wanted to arm themselves.

Jim Watson
September 12, 2005, 08:34 PM
P220 Sport has a compensator, not allowed at all in IDPA. They are revving up to offer a Sport Stock without comp but those railed steel SIG Sauers are at or over the IDPA maximums. E. Langdon had to do some grinding to get his to make weight.

I'd rather have a PII than a Gold Cup.
But what I shoot mostly is a buildup on Caspian slide and receiver by a local man, so I am not the best source on that choice.

tinkanting
September 15, 2005, 01:27 PM
you said it yourself, youre familiar with the gold cup.
get it and start practicing
good luck

impact
September 15, 2005, 06:18 PM
I love my Sigs! But I would go with a 1911 for bullseye and IDPA. I would also pass on the Gold Cup. The Gold Cup is a nice gun but there are better guns for less money. I shot a Gold Cup one time and was not impressed. I think I expected this gun to be the gun of guns! I shot IDPA for three years and love it. I use a Kimber Coustom Classic 1 in Stainless. The gun is flawless and works very well all the time. I'm sure there are other guns that will work just as well that will fit the bill. This may sound crazy but one of the things I like about my Kimber is the grip and thumb safety. Here is a pic of my Kimber and Springfeild loaded. Notice the safeties.http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/RickySherman/DSC00912.jpg

Ozzieman
September 15, 2005, 08:57 PM
Mine has a 4 LB trigger and its one of the best shooting 45s I have ever owned or shot, Its been in my collection since 1978 and there is no ammount of money that will take it out of my collection, NONE.