PDA

View Full Version : Semi auto guys, chime in here

Bonstrosity
September 11, 2005, 10:18 AM
So I've been thinking about getting a handgun and have been doing a lot of research. I started out looking atrevolvers and now am moving to looking at semi's. I'm keeping an open mind about both ends, and I know people have biases towards different brands but in the semi world what guns are like the gp100 and the sw 686 in that they are known to be a quality, basic , well working revolver at a decent price. Ones that everyone knows aren't the top most expensive gun but sure as the dickens to get the job done. The gun will be for plinking and home defense but maybe at some point for ccw. Yeseterday I was at my first gun show and looked at a lot of different guns. I'd like it to have a little larger grip, not extremely compact b/c I have big hands and hated the feel of my last one or two fingers being off the grip...maybe it was b/c the magazine was out so correct me if i'm wrong. various sizes of caliber are welcome, except the extreme ends so probably larger than the .32 but smaller than the .50.
Thanks
Bonstrosity

SR420
September 11, 2005, 10:29 AM
I'd like it to have a little larger grip, not extremely compact b/c I have big hands and hated the feel of my last one or two fingers being off the grip...

Wrap you fingers around a G21 - it fits my big hands perfectly.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/g21-a.JPG

WillBrayjr
September 11, 2005, 10:36 AM
Forget those sissy pistol glocks. If you wan't an autoloader, then get a Springfield Armory 1911A1, if you wan't a polymer frame autoloader then get a XD, if you wan't a polymer frame autoloader in 45acp then get the Ruger KP345. If you wan't a wheelgun, then get a Ruger GP100. Those are just my recommendations and opinions.

n3twrkm4n
September 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
+1 for the XD... I have a 5" Tactical in .40 calibre, great gun. Best money I ever spent and it's a great value.

Never had a FTF except with one piece of crap shell (Winchester Winclean :barf: ).

Currently has 250 rounds through it, it's still a baby but just as tight, it's getting broken in slowly though.

The XD's have REAL METAL magazines unlike the glocks... :eek: :D

Harley Quinn
September 11, 2005, 10:58 AM
Hi,
If it was not for new tech we would never have been able to go to the moon or???
I believe the amount of large city and large Police Dept's will verify that the Glock is no sissy.

My problem with the Glock for most Police is the simple trigger pull and no other safety. As advanced as they get, they like the revolver are dangerous to the carrier and people who are having the gun stuck in their faces.

Pistols with a grip safe are very good for the fact that you are stong enough to grip the gun (children) the safety on the slide is another, must be released to shoot etc. etc..

With that said, training is the thing of most importance. I feel the Glock is the Ideal weapon so in time of stress the officer will not malfunction and he/she will just pull and shoot...Accidents happen, but bad training is a crime.

Harley

NRAhab
September 11, 2005, 11:04 AM
My personal recommendation would be to go with either a GLOCK or a Ruger. Both are reliable, well built pistols, and come in a variety of different calibers. The GLOCK 20 comes in 10mm and its little brother (the GLOCK 29) is one of my favorite pistols.

skipper~ray
September 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
I would recommend taking a look at the Rugers in 9mm. The P95 with polymer frame is not as hand filling as the P89 aluminum frame, but both are comfortable shooters for a guy with large hands. The guns are reasonably priced, reliable and easily maintained. 9mm ammo is relatively inexpensive allowing for range and plinking time to maintain your proficiency.

boofus
September 11, 2005, 11:43 AM
Get a Sig, HK, or Glock. Your first semi should be a high quality piece. You'll be spoiled rotten. Nothing sucks worse than getting a dog for your first gun.

Those Certified Pre-Owned Sigs sell for quite a bit less than a new one and rivals the prices of Glocks.

WillBrayjr
September 11, 2005, 12:02 PM
I can't count how many police departments tested Glocks and wen't back to what they were carrying.

Seraph
September 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
Forget those sissy pistol glocks. If you wan't an autoloader, then get a Springfield Armory 1911A1, if you wan't a polymer frame autoloader then get a... Will, I was right there with you, until you said polymer frame. I'll second the nomination of a 1911, though. Nothing better.

http://workhorsearmory.com/seraph/Valentine_Gigolette.jpg

Henry Baker
September 11, 2005, 02:08 PM
I usually say that a good 1911 is as good as it gets, but in your case I suggest getting a Browning High Power in 9mm from http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=007B. It may cost more than what you're looking for but a used one can be found at a very reasonable price. The ammo is cheap, there is moderate to little felt recoil, accessories are readily available, it is a very reliable gun, and most importantly it will give you somewere to start. It is sort of an all around type gun, if you know what I mean. The BHP will help you learn what you like and dislike in a pistol.

Good luck,
Henry Baker

.357SIG
September 11, 2005, 04:12 PM
Fat grip generally means .45 Auto or 10mm. The only exception I can find right now is the Beretta 92/96 series. They are bigger in the grip area.

For a caliber, I'd choose 9mm or .45 Auto, though there is nothing wrong with 10mm or .40 S&W. The reasoning behind my decisions is that the 9mm is cheap to buy and still a great defensive round, and .45 is a better defensive round and easiest to reload, if that interests you. Another good thing about .45 is that it doesn't snap like the other rounds. It is very low pressure and has more of a "push" recoil that is very manageable.

Good choices, IMO and experience:
.45 Auto: HK USP; SIG P220; Glock 21 and 30
.40 S&W: Beretta 96 series
10mm Auto: Glock 20 and 29
9mm: Beretta 92 series

These all have a fat grip as well.

tinkanting
September 12, 2005, 01:17 AM
nothing beats a steel 1911 in 45 acp :D

Lord_Nikon
September 12, 2005, 01:40 AM
And for me, nothing beats a USP in .45 ACP. It's all personal preferance.

Jericho9mm
September 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
When I was looking at my first gun price was a huge factor so what is your price range? When I went to sportsman's warehouse i said "ok here is my price range, i want a quality gun but also a good first handgun." I ended up getting a Baby Eagle in 9mm, that only cost me $399 which is good and the ammo is cheap. For your first gun I recommend a 9mm because then it gives you some time and financial cushion to get used to a handgun.

Good luck with the search and I recommend looking for guns like looking for girls, get your hands on as many as possible before making a decision.

dave_in_delaware
September 12, 2005, 12:39 PM
+1 for the XD (by Springfield Armory). My girlfriend and I both have XD-9 sub-compacts, but they make 4" service and 5" tactical models. They'd be better for larger hands. 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG are the calibers to choose from, even a .45 GAP. Check them out at http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml and have fun shopping! We love our XD's!

Webleymkv
September 12, 2005, 01:20 PM
My personal favorite is the CZ 75 and 97. A Ruger P95 or P97, A good 1911, a glock or XD (Butt ugly as they are), or a Hi-Power Clone could all meet your needs well. On the more expensive end, a SIG or Walther are also top notch. If you look hard enough you may be able to find a used one at a bargain. As far as a Wheel Gun goes, a Ruger, older S&W, or newer Taurus would all do just fine. Colts seem to be overpriced for a comparable package from another manufacturer.

Bonstrosity
September 12, 2005, 03:37 PM
I was looking at the springfield XD's today and kind of like them. I'll have to go somewhere to try them out. I was leaning towards 9mm just for the fact that it's cheap and still has some size to it. Even if the 1911 are so big are they still able to be a CCW?

tex45acp
September 12, 2005, 03:42 PM
I dont know what caliber you are looking for but if it is .45acp and you are looking for full size grips:

SIG P220 or P220ST
Para Ordnance P12 Limited (double stack grip) even comes in the LDA (light double action).
Any 1911 style gun. Many barrel lengths available.
Several polymer framed guns that are wider grip.

Dre_sa
September 12, 2005, 04:10 PM
tinkanting +1
cant beat a good 1911!
try them all see what fits best.

pyrotechnic
September 12, 2005, 05:15 PM
H&K USP45 is the way to go.

Regards,
Maarten

Avec Bien
September 12, 2005, 05:26 PM
+2 for XD. It was my first hand gun and after 2,500 rounds I still love it. Go with the XD-9 service model with stainless top very confortable

Bullrock
September 12, 2005, 06:36 PM
H&K USP45 is the way to go.
Agree!!! ;) And if you can't afford one, then try the Ruger P345, or the CZ-P01...
Here's my beautiful Ruger. Thought I try and make you happy Will!!! :D
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13651

WillBrayjr
September 12, 2005, 06:41 PM
Bullrock I'm not loyal to any firearm manufacture, I just point to what works ;)

SR420
September 12, 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm not loyal to any firearm manufacture, I just point to what works

We have that in common :cool:

Jkwas
September 12, 2005, 08:01 PM
The modern semi automatic pistol is superior to the revolver in simplicity and performance. I like revolvers, but once you get past the good looks and short learning curve, they are more complex and more difficult to service once they go wrong(timing, clearances, allignment). Semi's have a steeper learning curve, like figuring out what all the buttons do, but once you get past that, they have revolvers beat.