PDA

View Full Version : My Kimber Problems

Eghad
September 10, 2005, 06:07 PM
Just purchased a new Kimber Tactical Pro II

put 100 rounds through it the first time... about every few rounds a jam :eek:

next 50 rounds ( only 50 cause it started raining) :(

I carried a Wilson magazine and the Kimber worked without a flaw.

Moral: If you buy a Kimber and the magazine comes with a bumper pad, take the pad off cuz its worth a $1.25. Throw the magazine in the trash cause you wouldnt want anyone to get ahold of it :D . Next to the Wilson's and CMC's they look pitiful. I wrote them a e-mail. Maybe they will send me another magazine I need the bumper pad for the new magazine I bought. LOL

CobrayCommando
September 10, 2005, 06:14 PM
Its stupid that such an expensive gun would come with such a cheap magazine.

2oaks
September 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
Could you describe the nature of the jams? I posted the thread about my Kimber jamming problems (which you responded to, thanks) and I was wanting to know if the jams you were getting were similar to mine. I have a couple of Wilson mags & some CLP on order but it will be a while before they show up. Kimber wants to put on a new slide, but I'm hoping that the new mags will solve the problem. My brother has an Ultra CDP and has'nt had any problems at all. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Eghad
September 11, 2005, 10:00 AM
The slide failed to go back to the forward position. It would not push the round all the way into the chamber. Sometimes I could use the heel of my non firing hand to perform immediate action to push the slide so the round was chambered.

Put the Wilson magazine in and viola...no failures

Put the Kimber slide back in failures.

Did not even need to add additonal CLP.

Compating the Kimber magazine to the Wilson and CMC magazines I can visually see a difference in metal thickness where the lips of the magazine are. The Kimber magazine is thinner.

BradS
September 17, 2005, 11:21 PM
I just purchased a Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm. Fits my hand nicely. I made a trip to the range yesterday and took along 200 rounds of WWB. The pistol came with one magazine and the dealer included a second magazine in the deal.
After putting about 75 rounds thru the pistol with no malfunctions, the slide failed to lock back after the last round, but only while using one of the mags. After sending more rounds thru the gun, I had difficulty extracting the magazine.
I got the mag out, loaded it up and inserted it into the pistol. After releasing the slide and loading a round, the bottom plate on the magazine fell off and the spring, follower and ammo fell onto the ground. I tryed to replace the bottom plate but it kept falling off. Both mags are marked Kimber on the bottom of the plate. I finished off the 200 rounds in the other mag with 0 malfunctions. I was disappointed that after spending so much money on this pistol that the mag would fall apart. :(

Majic
September 18, 2005, 07:01 AM
It seems for every Kimber story where the mags fail you also hear of them working flawlessly. Wilson is making a killing selling magazines.

Eghad
September 18, 2005, 08:27 AM
Thats because the Wilson mag worked :p and the freebie supplied with the gun didnt that says Kimber on the bottom.

I am going to ship it to an owner who posts he has not had any problems with Kimber Mags for grins and giggles.

stay tuned....

HappyGunner
September 18, 2005, 11:43 AM
That the Mags being supplied with their 1911s were causing major problems. :o This is why so many have switched to Wilson Combat and Metalform and also other Mags. Now Kimber is selling a Mag. made by Metalform and trademarked as the Kimber Pro. Mag. What Kimber really should do is recall all their worthless and Alloy frame damaging Mags that they have been sending with their 1911s for years and replace them at no charge with the new Kimber Pro.Mag. :) This would do two things (1) fix the many Mag. related Kimber 1911 problems and (2) Show the Handgun buying World that Kimber wants to be known as a quality handgun Company. ;)

azspyder
September 18, 2005, 12:14 PM
I run only Wilsons in my Ultra Carry...primarily because of the alloy frame. I have run about 20 rounds through the Kimber mag with no problems, but it started to nick the frame. Would I trust it? No way, I'll stick with Wilson.

boing
September 18, 2005, 08:52 PM
Wilson is making a killing selling magazines.

Well, if I sold a product that took an $800 jam-o-matic and made it run like a sewing machine, I'd expect to clean up, too.

With the exception of tuning/replacing the extractor, my guess is that nothing has rescued more malfunctioning 1911s from the junk heap of unreliability than switching to Wilson mags. If every 1911 manufacturer included Wilsons as their OEM mag, maybe the mass produced guns wouldn't have such the iffy reputation they suffer under today. Maybe.

Of course, my first WC mag broke the first time I used it, and my Springfield doesn't really like them in the first place, so you never know... :D