PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a gun for mom

AttackTurtle
September 10, 2005, 05:33 PM
My mother is dead set on getting a small autoloader but she has fallen in love with decockers. Im looking for something 32, possible 380 or 9 as small as possible with a decocker. Any ideas?

WillBrayjr
September 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Beretta's M84 and M85 Cheetah in 380acp, Sigarms P232 in 380acp and P239 in 9mm.

Padawan
September 10, 2005, 06:27 PM
You might also want to check out the Walther PPK.

Half-Price Assassin
September 10, 2005, 09:42 PM
if she has around $800-$900 to spend get her a P2000sk 9mm DA/SA variant with decocker.

a USPc 9mm, or GLOCK 19, woud be nice too. get her the 9mm, it will make her feel safer, ammo is cheap, and tell her its the perfered round in europe still!

Jericho9mm
September 11, 2005, 06:20 PM
I would recommend something small enough for a purse or a hand bag but also easy to use like a Bersa/sig compact or possibly a Kahr.

AndrewTB
September 11, 2005, 06:23 PM
Id reccomend taking her to the range and also getting classes. That what Im having to do with my mother. I need a class myself too LOL. But just a reccomendation.

AttackTurtle
September 11, 2005, 07:53 PM
thanks for all the suggestions. Shes not new to guns and has already taken the class but is going to again just to freshen up. going to the range this comming sat. gun show the weekend after. They just dont have many rentals at this range ...

AndrewTB
September 11, 2005, 08:59 PM
Cool. Just thought id give the same advice given to me. It was a pain dealing with my mom. She ended up getting an SA XD-9 4" .

rmcginley
September 12, 2005, 06:32 AM
Explain the relative merits of each type. Take her to reputable gun store so she can handle a variety of PD weapons. And, above all let her make her own decision.

AttackTurtle
September 12, 2005, 05:12 PM
100% plan too. she has a little Rossi 38 sp but its too much for her :( reason for renewed interest was a funky note on her door. The police said even though it was odd, they considered it at least harrasment and were happy to file a report. (it said " I am famous now" signature was not legible. was writting on a pirates of the carribian memo. Whoever did it then stole a broom and my leather conditioner)

I wanted to get her a tomcat guardian but her obsession with my decocker kills those.

john in jax
September 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
I highly recommend revolvers or those pop-up bbl berettas for girls or older people who may not have the strength or dexterity to work a slide. As Will mentioned above Beretta make a pop-up bbl in both 32acp and 380acp.

Revolvers are just simple - - it is really hard to forget how to use one, and that includes loading and unloading. The pop-up bbl Beretta is the same - easy to load and unload.

AttackTurtle
September 17, 2005, 02:43 PM
Well, I think she has settled on a Bersa Thunder .380. She seems to like everything about it. It has good size and fits well in her hands. It has a decocker built into the safty and a little beaver tail for slide bite. I let her shoot .38's out of my revolver and 9mm out of my Taurus 92. We rented some sort of POS SIG. I useually enjoy shooting SIG but this little P232 sure did give us crap. I would introduce the magazine into the magazine well and when it got to the top, it would jam the gun. Showed the owner and after fixing it (ten minutes later) he said it one of his associates put in a spring backwards. He also regreased it so then it spit all over us. I have a feeling the problem was "rental related" but she quickly grew to hate it. Whoever put that magazine release there needs to be shot. That got old quik too.

So anyway, she settled on the .380 and after picking the from several, likes the Bersa .380. I did a search and have seen some heated debates. In general, How does THR feel about Bersa? I cant tell if its hated more than Taurus or not which would bother me.

michael t
September 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
The Bersa a fine pistol for the money several people have them If you or mom want to talk with owners come to http://bersatalk.com The 380 have been 99.9% trouble free. Was a issue with 45 acp. Older ones had weak recoil springs. Factory now has new springs for pre 04 pistols.

SW40F
September 18, 2005, 08:23 AM
Borrow, rent, or otherwise try the CZ 75D PCR, or the newer P-01. :D

Compact, decocker, 9mm.

kymasabe
September 18, 2005, 09:00 AM
...hates Taurus....Oh..that hurts. My Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro has been 100% reliable since day one. Has around 1000 rounds thru it now and it's perfect. Might not be what your Mom wants but goes BANG everytime it needs to. She might want to look into one actually. I was considering the Bersa .380 before I bought my Taurus. The Bersa is a great little gun too, I prefer it over the Walther. But after shooting both I kinda like my Taurus better. 9mm, 12 rounds, fits my hand well, very comfortable, considered sub-compact. Give it a try. Taurus did have problemsm with the older Millennium series but the Millennium PRO's seemed to have worked the glitches out.

Christian 812
September 18, 2005, 09:12 AM
I would also recommend the H&K P2000 SK 9 mm with decocker - SA / DA (guess it is V3 version). OK, expensive ... but what a piece of semi-auto !

My girl friend shoot it and got allmost same accuracy than me on first trial (Grrr !) and found it very easy to handle and shoot.

Webleymkv
September 18, 2005, 09:47 AM
CZ 70. Has a safety/decocker and can even be carried cocked and locked. .32acp and best of all seem to go for about $150.

DoItRight
September 18, 2005, 10:54 AM
So anyway, she settled on the .380 and after picking the from several, likes the Bersa .380.Good choice, IMHO.

AttackTurtle
September 18, 2005, 02:58 PM
kymasabe, you have me all wrong. I LOVE TAURUS. Taking into account all the hate for Taurus, what I meant was that if I were to see more hate for Bersa, Then I may have to assume there is some truth to it. If the hate were to equal that of Taurus, I would assume there isnt much there since I own and know others whom have no problems even though there are some on this board who trash Taurus.

and Bersa .380 it is then :D