PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec or Beretta .32?

NRAhab
September 10, 2005, 05:58 AM
I need a pocket pistol. Before anyone can tell me to get a bigger gun, I already have a couple, but due my employment and where I live, sometimes I need something that can just go in a pocket. I narrowed my choices for projectile down to a .32 ACP, and the guns are the Beretta Tomcat or the Kel-Tec P32. I've test fired both guns, and like them both, so now I have decided to subject myself to whims of the internets.

Velocity226
September 10, 2005, 07:10 AM
Beretta all the way.

Silvanus
September 10, 2005, 07:17 AM
I've never shot the Kel-Tec, but the Beretta was quite reliable and accurate(for such a small gun ;) ). I cant say that it is better, but I think you wont go wrong with the Beretta.

Avizpls
September 10, 2005, 08:07 AM
well, be prepared for "32 is too small, get a .50AE!!!.

but seriously, the keltec P3AT (.380ACP) is about a 32nd bigger than the P32, and offers considerably more power.

I would go for the keltec either caliber, but I would also reccomend the 380.

good luck

Te Anau
September 10, 2005, 08:09 AM
Definitely the Kel-Tec.

NRAhab
September 10, 2005, 08:22 AM
I've test fired the KT's in .380 and there was just something about it I didn't like. It's not something I can pin down, it just doesn't quite felt right.

Now, my question to both sides is "why?" I have not developed a preference for either weapon yet, so I'm wondering why someone prefers the Beretta or the Kel-Tec.

Logs
September 10, 2005, 08:27 AM
Beretta.............................. :)

tlm225
September 10, 2005, 08:35 AM
I've owned both. For accuracy and quality I prefer the beretta. I chose to go with the Kel-Tec for pocket carry because of bulk but mostly because I found that the hammer spur on the Beretta would sometimes catch on my pocket during a draw.

Marko Kloos
September 10, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'm a fan of the Beretta Tomcat (my wife's carry gun of choice), as it's much easier to shoot well (and better fit and finished) than the KT P32.

That said, the P32 may be superior in the pocket carry role for some, due to the fact that it's half as thin as the Beretta, and 30% lighter.

I'd pick the Tomcat myself, though, because I have more confidence in my ability to put the bullets where they belong. The P32 is a dream to carry, but it's like trying to shoot a credit card with a trigger.

NRAhab
September 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
but it's like trying to shoot a credit card with a trigger.

This is possibly the most apt description of firing a P32 that I have ever heard.

mtnbkr
September 10, 2005, 10:10 AM
I've owned a P32 for years. When I bought it, I considered the Beretta, but chose the P32 because it was going to be carried in a pocket. The P32 isn't easy to shoot, but after some practice, you'll do well enough.

The 2nd Gen P3AT has better sights IMO. It's not much bigger and ammo is less expensive. If I were buying another pocket pistol, I'd get that.

Chris

kymasabe
September 10, 2005, 10:23 AM
Some say the Kel-Tec .380 is better than the .32 but...my local indoor range guys all carry the .32 as a back-up guns as they say the .32 has proven to be far more reliable. As far as the Beretta goes...I've shot them and really didn't like them. When my Kel-Tec was out for repair, I tried some other small guns and really liked the North American Arms Guardians. Their .380 was pretty nice, the .32 was great, and they make a cool little .32NAA which is a .380 round necked down for a .32 bullet. THAT gun was awesome and because of the neck, feeding was flawless. .380 balistics in a .32 package. The NAA forum has lots of info on them and some gunsmith they all like says the internals are really good and better than Seecamp. Make good guns for personalization, and modification (melting, gutter sights, trigger jobs, etc...)

So...there's my two cents worth in a nutshell. My choices would be down to Kel-Tec or NAA, Beretta just didn't cut it for me.

I've decided to keep my Kel-Tec for now because I already had invested in it before I sent it out for repair (extra mag, finger rests, holsters). But if it ever acts up again, it's gone and a NAA Guardian is my next bug gun.

Scarface
September 10, 2005, 07:36 PM
Dear NRAhab,

I bought the Beretta Tomcat, primarily for my wife because of the tip up barrel. Istill think it's a wonderfulconcept for people with weaker hands. We have yet to have a failure of any kind with it. It's difficult for me to fire, however, because I have very large hands. Unless I'm very careful, I get a slide bite evry time I fire it. We also bought a Kel tec P3AT, largely on the good success our oldest son had with his P32. I don't get a slide bite with the P3AT and find it plenty accurate for a defensive weapon. I painted the front sight red and the rear notch white to help with my old eyes. For loading, I'd go with the Beretta, but for carry and shooting, I'd go with the Kel Tec. Even with my big hands I can handle the Kel Tec very well.

Be Well,

Scarface

Alaskanmonte
September 10, 2005, 07:49 PM
I don't own either pistol, but I have heard good things about the Tomcats quality. Most Beretta firearms are well made and fuction correctly. Kel-tec pistols have a reputation of being hit or miss as far as quality goes. If you do get a bad one I have heard they have good customer service, and they are willing to fix it for you. If it was I looking for a pocket pistol I would go with a NAA Guardian or a Seecamp, but thats just me.

tshadow6
September 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
Kel-tec is picky about which ammo it likes. Mine likes only Winchester silvertip. A friend of mine carries his tomcat everywhere. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

abcman
September 10, 2005, 08:56 PM
:o Well not to bum out any Tomcat owners but I had trouble with it. Had to modify the follower to keep from spitting out last round everytime. Then started having FTF problems after about 200 rounds and upon examination discovered it had a cracked frame! Took it back and two weeks later they sent a new one which I promtly traded on a new p226r.

Anyway I love the size and it was accurate and well made but too unreliable for me. Right now I have a S&W 642 in 38 cal. for carry. Thinking about a Sig 232 in 380 for carry also.

Hope this helps some.

Rich
226r 9mm
239 40
S&W 642

denfoote
September 10, 2005, 09:53 PM
Here's a sample.

I used to own a Tomcat, but after about 1000 rounds, it self-destructed. (the slide jammed back and up, damaging the little top rail at the end of the frame) I was using standard commercial ammo. Up 'til that point, it had been very reliable and accurate. I found it a bit chunky compared to other .32's, but otherwise it seemed well designed. A friend of mine had 2 Tomcats fall apart at about 1000 rounds, and I recall a gunmag writer calling it a "thousand round gun", suggesting that you "carry it a lot, but shoot it rarely". The problem seems to be the fact that it is a straight blowback gun with a short slide stroke over a light aluminum frame. The frame takes a beating in this case. Have others had this happen?

I'm not sure how old this is but it was posted on the mouseguns.com site.

http://www.packing.org/oldnews/article/?article=5937

BobK
September 10, 2005, 11:40 PM
I love my little P32!!

dogngun
September 11, 2005, 11:01 AM
Keltec. THe P-32 is a well designed pistol that will really surprise you with its accuracy when you learn how to shoot it. (PRACTICE!!!)
It's reliable, something I have noe experienced with the several small Beretta's I have owned. I know many people who have reliable Beretta pistols. I'm not one of them.

I carry my P-32 everywhere, and am thinking about a second one.

Mark

gmeister
September 11, 2005, 12:46 PM
The Beretta is definitely a better gun...BUT....the Kel Tec is much better to carry. I also worked in a job where a very small/light pocket gun was the only choice. I've owned a bunch of Kel Tecs and virtually all had some problems. Once the early P-32 I had, got the problems worked out, I carried it when I had to and felt adequately armed.

FLA2760
September 11, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hi
I have a Kel Tec P.32 and I am satisfied with the gun. My .32 likes Winchester Silvertips and Speer Gold Dots. I am looking into loading it with FMJ for more better penetration. The gun just disappears when you use a good pocket holster. I use a Don Hume pocket rig. I have no experience with the Beretta but if weight is an issue the kel tec is the way to go.
Steve :D

cuate
September 11, 2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry, I haven't owned either, all my .32 bizz has been with a bring home J.P. Sauer & Sohn .32 and a 1910 Mauser. I have not seen a Kal-Tek but have a Baretta
.22 pistol. It requires regular cleaning and lubrication and
I have no complaints. I vote for Baretta.

michael t
September 11, 2005, 03:30 PM
Get a Seecamp a little more money and worth it. The 32 Beretta isn't all that small. Grip area real thick.A Kel Tec is well a Kel tec. They have strong family ties in Fl and they seem to like to visit family offten.

rmcginley
September 11, 2005, 04:51 PM
I don't own a Kel-Tec...yet but I soon will. I'm retiring my Tomcat to the bottom of my gun safe. After less than 1000 rounds the thing is deteriorating right before my eyes. The slide wear seems highly accelerated. The trigger often sticks in the full rear position. It jams on the last round regardless of the ammo used. And, after shooting 20 rounds or so the grips get lose enough to require immediate attention.

On the positive side the weapon has some great features, and I find it very accurate to shoot. It is certainly concealable but so is the Kel-Tec. Somebody recently said they didn't like the looks of the Kel-Tec because it reminded them of a child's water pistol. Not sure I agree with that but I do think the Beretta has a better look to it...if that criteria really matters.

I'm dissappointed with the Tomcat...I expected better from Beretta.

FLA2760
September 14, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hi Rmcginly
Check out the KTOG.org site for Kel Tec info.

Steve :D

IM_Lugger
September 14, 2005, 04:58 PM
for Beretta…

I wouldn’t trust any kal tec. With Beretta you at least know they you’re getting a quality gun. :)