PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable P3AT AMMO ???

kymasabe
September 9, 2005, 10:16 PM
I have a second generation P3AT that had serious problems, was returned, and now seems to be working much better. It's not quite at 100% but getting close. I still need to break it in a little more.

The question is...it's currently loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks but with a .380 I really don't need to worry about over penetration so am thinking about using FMJ instead. What is the best/smoothest feeding, best ejecting, most reliable, I don't care about the cost when I'm betting my life, ammo?
It's gotta go in, go bang, and get out, 100%, all the time, every time.
Mine is still a little sticky with JHP ammo so am making a change.
Let me know what is working and what's not. Please.

leadcounsel
September 9, 2005, 10:51 PM
I have the same 2nd gen P3AT.

First 100-150 rounds were new Wolf ammo, FMJ, with their new coated casings. I got a jam every clip minimum and was very disappointed. I cleaned it and oiled it and still had problems.

I recently bought "Independence" .380 FMJ and only had time to put 12 shots through it (the range was closing and kicking me out and that was my last gun) but I was SO happy to get zero failures or jams. I think it's the ammo. I'm convinced that Wolf is just not good in 9mm or .40 or .380. It's not accurate and causes jams.

Oh, and check out the Kel-tec website for links to Keltec owners sight were they have lots of tips on babying the .380.

Good luck

kymasabe
September 9, 2005, 11:04 PM
My local range also sells Independance ammo. 100 rounds with no failures until I tried shooting one-handed. So, I think that'll work but they don't always have it and switch back and forth with Remington. So, am looking for others as well. Am thinking maybe Cor-Bon Powerball but I need to check on it, I don't want +P.

Avizpls
September 10, 2005, 08:10 AM
defensive, GoldDots

Target, WWB is all i've tried with 99% success

leadcounsel
September 10, 2005, 03:52 PM
So for some time now I've wondered why my guns jam and I'm not a good shot.

The answer, my friends, the long awaited answer, it that the Wolf ammo I've been using is aweful.

As for the P3AT, my first 100-150 shots with Wolf ammo resulted in regular jams. Today, after 25 shots and about 10 jams, I gave up the Wolf ammo.

I switched back to Independence and had zero jams after 50 shots. And many more accurate shots with the Independence.

If you get the P3AT, don't use Wolf ammo.

vikingsfaninmi
September 10, 2005, 08:46 PM
Mine likes the cheap Blaser, Winchester value pack and MagTech.

ShelbyV8
September 11, 2005, 05:38 PM
I have shot over 200 Gold Dots 0 malfunctions. It is the only thing that has been in P3AT. These little guns like hot ammo.

kymasabe
September 11, 2005, 06:43 PM
Keep'em coming folks.

Lou22
September 11, 2005, 07:58 PM
My P3AT shoots Golden Sabers and Gold Dots with 0 failures. I have a couple of boxes of Wolf I've yet to try.

Lou

michael t
September 12, 2005, 04:31 PM
The soon to be released CorBon 380DPX I under stand was designed with the KT in mind. I now carry the DPX 45 compact in my 3" 45's and have experiance no trouble and very accurate. Just a mite costley.

kymasabe
September 12, 2005, 05:43 PM
I spoke with one of the techs at Cor-Bon today and they said the .380 DPX was in it's testing phase and they'll probably be available in the 60-75 days range. So, I'm guessing sometime around the first of the year I'll be looking for them. They said it's a solid copper bullet with a hollow cavity and the projectile has been extensively designed and tested to feed properly thru small carry guns like the Kel-Tec .380