PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Pro Carry Jamming Problems

2oaks
September 7, 2005, 06:15 PM
I recently bought a Kimber Pro Carry HD II .45 and from the beginning have had jamming problems with it. I fired about 350 rounds and finally sent it back to Kimber. I just got it back and sent 150 rounds through it and I'm still having the problem. It looks like the fired shell is getting hung up on the next shell in the magazine as it's trying to be extracted. I have 5 Kimber magazines and have been using the Winchester FMJ/230gr (Wal-Mart special). Any ideas on where to proceed?

Eghad
September 7, 2005, 06:25 PM
I just bought a new Kimber Tactical Pro II and the owners manual definitely states that it takes about 500 rounds to break one in. The pistol should be field stripped and given a good cleaning prior to the first shooting. I am going to give them that since it is stated as so. I have already had a few problems after 100 rounds.

They also stated that it should be cleaned every 150 rounds. I have cleaned mine in prep for the next 100. It also states the lube they use is FP-10 in the manual and give you suggestions for lubrication areas. I followed that. However I used CLP because it has served me well for number of years.

My problem is the slide does not close all the way on the round. I apply immediate action and hit the rear of the frame with my left hand and keep on trucking.

I was using some white box military 230g FMJ Military issue stuff I have had for a while. I have some American Eagle and Winchester White box up next in the chute.

I have some CMC mags I'm taking with me next time to try out.

I will let you know how it goes next trip to the range.

HappyGunner
September 7, 2005, 06:38 PM
The old style Kimber Mags are worthless. Get some Wilson Combat 47D Mags or the new Kim Pro Mags that MetalForm Mfg.s for Kimber. Use factory 230gr FMJ Ammo. and put a lot of Breakfree on slide and frame. You will quickly notice the mis-feed will go away. :) Good Luck

Eghad
September 7, 2005, 06:46 PM
define a lot of CLP/Breakfree :confused:

HappyGunner
September 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
I let it run down the slide and wipe off the surface. I just give the plastic bottle a squeeze and it pures out and down the slide. :rolleyes: It's not rocket science just a known fact that 1911s need plenty of Lub. when breaking in. :)

Ramcharger
September 7, 2005, 07:19 PM
:cool: A Kimber Jamming. Oh my. Aren't they supposed to be perfect? ;)

HappyGunner
September 7, 2005, 07:38 PM
Kimbers are perfect it's some of the people who are using them that are not perfect. ;)

osuflipster
September 7, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have KImber Pro Carry SS, there are two things you need to do

1.) get Wilson #47D or Tripp Research Mags
2.) call Wolff get the recoil spring made specifically for the Kimber Pro Carry

Optional: get Meprolight night sights

You will then enjoy shooting your Kimber and it will be incredibly accurate and reliable, based on my experience.

2oaks
September 7, 2005, 09:40 PM
Does anybody think this could be an ammunition specific problem? :rolleyes:

DAVID NANCARROW
September 7, 2005, 09:50 PM
If it don't shoot with ball ammo, it is not gonna shoot with anything else.

2oaks
September 7, 2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be ordering some Wilson Combat magazines tomorrow. :)

sageowl
September 7, 2005, 10:38 PM
Definitely the Wilson mags. Haven't tried the Kimber Pro yet but the standard mags are decidedly CRAP. That solved most of my Ultra Carry problems. Cleaning every 100-150 during break-in can't hurt, nor can giving it a nice CLP bath. Let us know what ends up working.

MK11
September 8, 2005, 09:02 AM
Wilsons may not be the cure. Check out the Kimber section on 1911forum. I've got Wilsons that work great in my Classic Custom Target but my Pro Carry gags on every other round with the same mags.

2oaks
September 8, 2005, 11:27 AM
Just an update. Spoke with Kimber this morning and their guy in the custom shop seems to think that the slide is out of specs, so he wants to give it a new one. So its off to Kimber it goes. Sure hope they get it figured out---I really am trying to like this gun. Will keep ya'll posted. :o

HappyGunner
September 8, 2005, 11:44 AM
I would like to know about your slide. Did Kimber give a reasion why they thought the slide is out of specs? :confused:

2oaks
September 8, 2005, 12:05 PM
No actually they did'nt. Do you see any reason it could be the slide? :confused: The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to give the Wilson mags a try first (I'd like to have some anyway due to their reputation) and see if that works. Kind of makes me wonder if Kimber is just throwing something out there and see if it sticks. If the mags and the Break-Free dont work I'll send it back to them then.

shield20
September 8, 2005, 12:17 PM
The problem with my Pro Carry HD II was the external extractor. The fired round would only partially extract from the chamber. I could see on the brass were the extractor had scraped over the rim - very little purchase - definetly not enough, esp. once the chamber got a little dirty. Had 1 or 2 jams a mag (different brands including Wilsons). Sent it back - they swapped the extractor and only made it margnally better. Ended up selling it off.

HappyGunner
September 8, 2005, 01:13 PM
I think it's a good idea holding off sending it back to Kimber. You can always do this if the Mags and Lub. fails to fix the problem. IMHO the chances of a slide not matching the needed numbers are slim. They run them on CNC machines then inspected then they match the slide to a frame and they get the frame number on the slide. Again holding off is a good idea that $40 Fed.X shipping charge is better kept in your pocket for now. :)

Eghad
September 8, 2005, 07:02 PM
Try the CLP bath and taking a box of American Eagle and Black Hills tommorow.......

auto45
September 9, 2005, 09:48 AM
IMHO, if the custom shop guy from Kimber thinks it might be an out of spec slide, I'd send it in. You'll have a new slide and some hand work done for free.

He might know something you don't...see's lot's of Kimbers. ;)

Eghad
September 10, 2005, 12:53 PM
Problem fixed.... Kimber magazine in the trash (minus the bumper pad).

Had a Wilson Magazine..... nary a fault with it :D didnt even need the CLP bath.

American Eagle 230g went thru like greased lightning.

Kimber magazine = Jams :mad:

So if you buy a kimber at the gun shop get the guy to take the bumper pad off throw the Kimber magazine in the trash and buy a Wilson Magazine.