PDA

View Full Version : P11 vs P3AT

axslingerW
September 7, 2005, 06:03 PM
Went to the local shop yesterday to look into a pocket pistol. I know the P3AT is popular, so I looked at it first. Shop owner tells me he has the 9mm at the same price. I tried it with a balco pocket holster and I can carry the P11 as easily as the .380. He has a new P11 for 300 and a like new P11 for 250, both with a single 10 round magazine. Is this a good price? and is the P11 more reliable than the P3AT. I would MUCH rather carry the 9mm.
Would like to hear about expieriance from others who own or have owned these 2 guns, not "why not spend $50 more for a (insert gun of choice)" as I am on a really tight budget right now.

kirkcdl
September 7, 2005, 06:05 PM
More than you want to know about Kel Tec firearms:www.ktog.org www.ktrange.com :D

kymasabe
September 7, 2005, 07:45 PM
If you go to the Kel-Tec Range and join up....pay close attention to rule #6 or their supreme ruler gets his panties in a twist.

Marcus
September 7, 2005, 08:56 PM
They`re both good guns for their intended purposes. IMO the P-11 is probably going to be more reliable. Mine has over 10K rounds through it and has jammed exactly once and that was user induced (his palm was behind the slide,doh!). Personally I don`t consider the P-11 a good pocket pistol because it`s kinda blocky (although not as bad as a Glock 26/27) but I know a lot of folks who pocket carry them fine. The P3AT on the other hand is super slim and ultra light,even compared to a P-11. The trigger is actually better than the P-11 but it is MUCH harder to shoot well due to its size,weight and unusual sights. Making good hits at 25yds with a P3AT is pretty much a luck thing. A P-11 can (with LOTS of practice) put 10rds. on a paper plate at that distance consistantly. Marcus

alamo
September 7, 2005, 09:26 PM
He has a new P11 for 300 and a like new P11 for 250, both with a single 10 round magazine. Is this a good price? and is the P11 more reliable than the P3AT. I would MUCH rather carry the 9mm.

I own both. I carry the P-3AT most everyday.

I wouldn't consider $300 a good price for a P-11 unless gun prices are pretty high in your area and it is a chrome P-11.

The P-11 is the most reliable KT pistol. It has been out nearly 10 years. It has a pretty long trigger pull that takes some getting used to but is not overly heavy at 8-9 lbs. If you can conceal it and will carry it, then I would go with it over the P-3AT. A trigger shoe (available from KT) and a trigger stop can really help the P-11 trigger:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#White%20Trigger%20Stop

Avizpls
September 7, 2005, 09:36 PM
for pocket, Id go with the 380. It's nothing. Its not there.

the p11-its small....but not THAT small.

(i have both)

chris in va
September 8, 2005, 02:14 PM
I have a P11. It works reliably with whatever I put through it and the ergonomics are pretty darn good for such a small gun. Trigger sucks though. Recoil is impressive.

When it's time to 'deep conceal' it goes in a DeSantis IWB and no one is the wiser. Otherwise I just carry my fullsize CZ.

CajunBass
September 8, 2005, 05:37 PM
I can carry my P-11 in the pocket of a pair of dockers, or a jacket, but it would be a bit big for anything else. Those prices seem a bit high, at least based on what I see around here. New $265.00 or so, the only used one I ever saw was $199.00.

payne
September 8, 2005, 06:07 PM
I'd definatly check on some other places cause the price seems high. Dealer selling the p11 for $225 out the door. Good gun by the way. i would rather have the p11 because I'd rather have a 9mm as opposed to a 380

N.H. Yankee
September 9, 2005, 05:24 AM
I have had all 3 Keltecs, and now only have the P11. I find the P11 easier to shoot due to the grip size and use the higher capacity S&W magazines in mine. The P11 I own ( 5 month's old NIB ) shoots very well and has been 100% reliable. I find the 9mm recoil not to be any worse than the 380 due to the fact the guns grip is bigger and the gun weighs somewhat more. the power advantage with the 9mm is a no brainer also. The 380 is nice as a pure backup and beach attire gun perhaps.

at-home-daddy
September 9, 2005, 06:05 PM
I have a P3AT...but it's only because I wanted a carry gun that fits comfortably in a pocket. If it's going in your pocket, then the P3AT is your ticket, while the P11 is not. However, if it's not pocket carry you're after, then your wisest choice is the P11 for its more comfortable grip and more potent caliber.

Russ5924
September 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
My P3At was $265 brand new out the door including tax an a fee for call in to register.I have both and have always carried the P3AT don't like the P11 as well but to me both are hard to get used to with that DA trigger.Found have to use the tip of my finger to be able to pull the trigger straight back and shoot accurate :)

axslingerW
September 9, 2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replies! I wish I could try them before I buy, but I haven't found any available to rent where I live. Seems to be about 6 to one and 1/2 dozen to the other. I'll probably go to the p11. It does hide well and I would feel better with 9mm. Only bad thing I saw on the forums was an assembly pin that can work loose after 1200 rounds or so. I'll buy a few and treat it as a maintinance item every 800 rounds. Anybody know a range in the St. Louis area that rents these? I'd be willing to drive +/- 60 miles or so to try them.

kymasabe
September 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
Marcus posted a concern about hitting his target at 25 yards with a P3AT. Realistically, you'd probably never use that gun at that distance. The P3AT is a last ditch point and shoot gun. There are no sights to speak of, you don't aim the thing as much as you point it. I practice using mine at 7-10 yards which is a realistic self defense range and I have no problem keeping all the shots in center-of-mass on silhouette targets. I'm not gonna lie and say I group 2" or anything like that but I put them all between the nuts and neck. That'll do in my book.

leadcounsel
September 9, 2005, 11:07 PM
Here's my personal review of the P3AT.

I've owned it a very short time and put about 100-150 rounds through it.

Price: Don't pay over $250 for it.

Accuracy: I was very very very very impressed with the accuracy of mine. I was expecting difficulty hitting a paper target at 15 feet. To my pleasant surprise, that little guy hits exactly where I aim on the sites, and I can generally get darn near close to the bullseye. I don't know if this is typical, and expect it is atypical, but I'm happy with the accuracy.

Size: I don't know about the P11, but the .380 is literally the size and weight of a toy or squirtgun. Easy to carry and conceal in any attire. You'll forget its there. A great backup too.

Caliber: 9mm has about 22% greater one stop shot takedown according to real world data. I'd take a 9mm over a .380 for primary carry. I bought the .380 solely for backup and beach attire.

Trigger. The trigger is excellent, smooth, and crisp. It has a long trigger pull which makes it safer because there is no safetly. If it's in my pocket I like that feature. I will say that the trigger guard strikes my finger in a weird way and gives me a blister on my finger tip, which is painful.

Shooting. This gun is NOT fun to plink with. Due to it's lightweight and small frame and painful trigger guard, I put it down after about 18 shots.

Up to this point I'd give the gun a very high rating for a backup or a primary beach attire gun.

Reliability: This gun is fussy and delicate with ammo. It WILL NOT eat Wolf ammo. I experienced one jam every 5 or 10 shots and that was frustrating. I switched to Independence brass and it seems fine. But it also could be that I'm breaking it in. I refuse to carry it until it's 100% reliable.

I'm confident in the gun and in KT for lifetime repairs of it. If I can't make it reliable soon, I'll send it back and they'll fix it.

leadcounsel
September 10, 2005, 03:50 PM
Okay,
So for some time now I've wondered why my guns jam and I'm not a good shot.

The answer, my friends, the long awaited answer, it that the Wolf ammo I've been using is aweful.

As for the P3AT, my first 100-150 shots with Wolf ammo resulted in regular jams. Today, after 25 shots and about 10 jams, I gave up the Wolf ammo.

I switched back to Independence and had zero jams after 50 shots. And many more accurate shots with the Independence.

If you get the P3AT, don't use Wolf ammo.