PDA

View Full Version : anyone chop their glock or modify polymer?

HighValleyRanch
September 7, 2005, 10:05 AM
Here's a link to an article by Brownells about how to modify polymer frames. For some tinkerers, this has opened up a whole new possibility of modifying their frames.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=381

I am thinking about chopping my glock 19 to the shorter glock 26 grip size for better CCW concealment. This would entail cutting the grip portion shorter to accomodate the 26 magazines.simple process, but then I might go all the way and do the grip reduction and angle change.

Has anyone attempted this project by themselves? I would like to hear from you. Seen some photos of some XD's done like this as well.
The 19 project would be somewhat like the ideal of the Kahr Covert models,
that is compact barrel/slide with subcompact grip.

Handy
September 7, 2005, 11:07 AM
Flexible plastics are very difficult to cut, grind or melt. Chances are, you WILL screw it up.

Just buy a 26.

michael t
September 7, 2005, 12:36 PM
Get a hacksaw and have fun its only a Glock. :eek: If it doesn't work well thats what super glue is for. :D Be the first on your block to have a custom Glock.

lee n. field
September 7, 2005, 01:12 PM
If it doesn't work well thats what super glue is for

Super glue, duct tape, hot glue.

I don't think I'd do anything to a plastic frame beyond maybe smoothing over a seam if it was irritating my skin.

progunner1957
September 7, 2005, 01:21 PM
I have a Glock 21 that I sent to Robar for a frame overhaul. They did a grip reduction - cut the camel hump (which I hated!) off the heel of the frame, rounded the trigger guard, made a relief cut where the trigger guard meets the grip, recontoured the grip and gave it a non-slip textured finish similar to "Rhinoliner" for truck beds.

Let me tell you, it is like a totally different gun!! It now actually fits the human hand - what a concept!! If I remember correctly, the cost for all the above work was $250, which I thought was reasonable.

I liked their work so much That I sent them my Glock 30 too.

Christian 812
September 7, 2005, 01:47 PM
I agree with Handy ... don't even intend to perform this by yourself ... and super-glue or hot melt glue won't fix anything if you miss !

Maybe you can follow the link provided by Progunner 1957 ... for for myself, I won't do that either !

Cha

IronBalls
September 7, 2005, 02:25 PM
arizona response systems is very inexpensive, and does a great glock chop/mod. I have sent them 3 glocks and have been super happy wiht each one,... however i do sand down the stipple/texture and put an agrip on them-

HighValleyRanch
September 7, 2005, 03:58 PM
Found that Novak does the grip shortening for 48.00.
"Can shorten a G19 to G26."

You guys must pay someone to change your oil as well! :D

To say that I'm going to screw it up without knowing my background is somewhat presumptuous. I'm pretty handy.

Here's a post from someone on another board that did the same thing:
jdthaddeus
05-02-2001, 07:25 PM
I hacked a Glock 22 down to Glock 23 grip length with my Dremel tool. Works great. It conceals VERY well and stays in my waistband great. Maybe I should go into business ;)

I am considering doing the same to my G19 down to take G26 mags.

Why do this? Well, the ten round mag limit comes into play. And, I am one that likes a short grip but a long slide. Longer slide gives you more velocity, more sight radius, and less muzzle flip and for me anyway that loner slide makes it easier to keep tucked into things like my waistband. These are reasons I would prefer a cut down G19 over a G26.

So, it can be done to a polymer frame with nothing more than a Dremel tool and a little skilled patience. I have eyed my Kahr P9 and considered it, but I am not ready to do it yet.

I guess you guys haven't heard the saying, "what one man can do, another can"
There are lots of shops doing this chop work on polymer frames. At first no one would divulge the "secret", but brownell, eager to sell their products has disclosed all. It's as simple as using their acruglass bedding compound for the filler, and truck bed spray for the top coat. I tried a ball headed dremel on the inside of the plug hole, and it gave me an idea of how it's going to work. Used a fine sander on the bottom to see the Melt. You just have to find the proper speed, and grit to work with plastic.
I have band saws, jig saw, grinders, belt sanders, and drum sanders, mandrell disc sander, drill presses, a whole machine and woodworking shop. Just wish I had a junk frame to play with first! :p

Zekewolf
September 7, 2005, 04:44 PM
Post some pics! I've never found Glock "plastic" to be "flexible," unless I was shooting in an environment above 400*F. I wouldn't do it, because I wouldn't want to destroy the resale value of a pistol, but I also wouldn't discourage you from giving it a try. Probably wouldn't be the most expensive mistake you ever made, if it doesn't go well.

eme
September 8, 2005, 06:47 AM
Never did a Glock, but I had an xd9 service cut down to a xd sub compact grip and use the sc mags. Sent the gun to David Bowie in Ohio. If you go on his web page it shows the services and prices. After I had the grip cut down, sold my sc, as I now have a 4" barrel with a sc grip and this is what I was after. Very happy. And, yes the polymer frame is tough. Wanted to do a little filing on the grip and found it to be workable but tough.
Good luck on your quest.

HighValleyRanch
September 8, 2005, 10:40 AM
Here's some pics I found on the web to wet your imagination!
http://www.jnb.com/~funggrip/chopglock.jpg