View Full Version : Supressor Question?

September 7, 2005, 09:53 AM
Whats involved in getting a supressor for lets say an hk usp tac. in .45? tax stamp, what forms, what signatures are needed ETC> Thanks in advance.

September 7, 2005, 02:02 PM
This is the FULL AUTO forum :eek:

September 7, 2005, 02:16 PM
:eek: OH MY GOODNESS!!! :rolleyes:

But this is the place that is most likely to have this answer. You all have gone thru this process.

I downloaded the forms for future use, but cant recall where EXACTLY where i got them. Definatly on the BATF web site

September 7, 2005, 02:39 PM
Most of the forms can be downloaded at www.titleii.com - I don't think they have the fingerprint cards, but those need to be on heavy cardstock with the proper routing numbers for the firarms & explosives division.

Assuming suppressors are legal to on in your state, here's the proceedure in a nutshell:

Find a class 3 dealer in your home state. Pick out the suppressor you want, or have him order it from the manufacturer. Once he has the can you want, you will fill out a BATFE form 4 (in duplicate), along with one copy of the US citizenship certification, two FBI fingerprint cards, and a check for the transfer tax of $200. You'll also need two passport sized photos for the two F4's. The F4 will needs to be approved by your local chief of police, the sheriff, or any one of a few other officials that qualify as a CLEO (Cheif Law Enforcement Officer) with jurisdiction over the place of your residence. Theres a complete list of qualified officials on the instruction side of the F4. Be aware, the local CLEO can decline to give you a "sign-off" for almost any reason, or for no reason at all, so be polite and dress appropriately (leave the "uni-bonger" T-shirt at home and don't go in looking like you just rolled out of the local bar.)

On the reverse of the F4 you'll notice a section asking why you need the NFA weapon in question. Generally good and acceptable answers are "for investment and collection", "for all legal and lawful purposes". "Because the voices in my head told me to" is not. "Self-defense" is not.

Once you have it all together mail everything to the address on the front side of the form 4 and wait about 3-4 months. Your dealer will receive the approved form and let you know when you can come pick it up and take it home. You cannot take possesion before he has an approved copy in his hands. Your dealer will give you the original copy of the F4 (BATFE keps the other) - keep it somewhere safe and make copies for keeping with the suppressor.

September 7, 2005, 02:48 PM
Im aware this is the full auto forum. . .point me in the direction of the supressed weapon forum and i will post there.

Thanks for the info and links everyone else. . .especially shaggy.

September 10, 2005, 07:14 AM
This is a FORUM sight and if the STAFF dosent like the placememnt they will move it.
My state INdiana.
The requirement is the same paper work as an auto just the price for the federal stamp is less.
Its a good qustion and since most supressors end up on autos, this is the correct place to ask it. :)

Dave Haven
September 11, 2005, 11:45 AM
The requirement is the same paper work as an auto just the price for the federal stamp is less. Federal tax stamp for a suppressor is $200 - same as for a machine gun.

September 11, 2005, 04:28 PM
It's a good question for here as the process is identical to get a transferable machine gun as it is to get a suppressor.

Shaggy's advice is right on. Only thing I would add is that you can have your dealer order a suppressor directly also...and have it shipped in via form 3 (tax free to him) then form 4 to you. The point being...you don't have to take whats just in stock.

September 11, 2005, 04:33 PM
OT... Why don't they just stick "& Surpressors" or "/NFA" on the end of the Forum name and call it good?


September 11, 2005, 04:37 PM
Right on Wolfe, or just call it the NFA forum...

September 11, 2005, 05:45 PM
Machine guns, silencers, and short-barreled shotguns and rifles are perfectly legal to own in most freedom loving states (this of course means that you can't own them in either New York or California and a couple of other states--ask us to see if your state is a "free state").

Basically, when you buy a machine gun or silencer, all you are doing is effecting a "taxable transfer". You fill out a simple form, attach a set of fingerprint cards and passport sized photo ID, and send this--and a $200 check--to the U.S. Treasury (that's the tax part), and in about three months the transfer gets approved and then you can take possession of your gun. It is a one-time process, good for life, and there is no special license to get or continuing fee or tax for ownership. That's it!

Dave Haven
September 12, 2005, 09:27 PM
Sorry about that Dave Haven is right Thanks. :)
I've had a bit of experience with Title II, having used Form 1 for a few MGs and a suppressor in the early '80's. :D

September 13, 2005, 11:37 AM
Thank god that New mexico is a "free state" now i just need to be 21 lol :)

C Philip
September 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
Silvanius, the Full Auto forum here seems to also be the place to ask about any Class III items. It is also the place for questions about, AOW, DD, SBR, etc. Senior guys correct me if I am wrong here.

Dave Haven
September 15, 2005, 12:46 AM
Yeah, it seems to be the appropriate forum for discussion of ALL NFA toys. Not just machine guns. :cool:

September 15, 2005, 09:30 AM
This is what i was thinking. . .

September 15, 2005, 12:24 PM
Dead on - Class 3 items as a whole are discussed here. Along with any related items.

Maybe we could get them to change the title to NFA, but it doesnt sound as sexy as "Full Auto" :)

September 15, 2005, 02:24 PM
I am just glad there people here ready and willing (and able) to help with ALL questions.

September 19, 2005, 02:01 PM
I know that a separate tax slip is required for EACH FA weapon, but is that also true for each supressor?? :confused: Supressors can be made to fit multiple barrels, and the expense will drop. I see 28 ~ 30 round magazines for my 21 all over the place. Anywhere from $30 to $55. Is there a legit Glock HiCap magazine yet? Does Gaston make a legit 21-FA, or are there just a lot of "specialized" models around?? Is a genuine Glock barrel in 1 in. threaded extended length better than all aftermarket types?? In general can it be said that collet-type supressors are better than thread-on?? After a hundred or so rounds, the threaded kind tends to expand a bit. :cool: I'll be running a laser, and not using conventional sights. Does a supressor tend to dirty-up a laser mounted on the front rail? All you BinThereDunnIt guys are a great help on this site. Thanks.

James K
September 19, 2005, 02:17 PM
You need to get approval and pay the tax (if applicable) for the transfer of any suppressor, and the approval is valid for one and only one suppressor. If it breaks and cannot be repaired, you go through the whole process for another one.

The tax is a transfer tax, and approval of the transfer is just that, not a license to do business in NFA weapons.

Once you have a legally registered suppressor, you can put it on any gun that it will fit, or can be made to fit; the gun does not have to be registered unless it also comes under the NFA. The Form 4 carries the serial number of the suppressor, not of a specific gun to which it may be attached.

If a person purchases an NFA weapon, such as a machinegun, with a suppressor attached, two separate Form 4's and two transfer taxes are required.