PDA

View Full Version : USP first impression

bronicadave
September 6, 2005, 09:04 PM
I rented a 9mm full size USP at the range today. This was one of the guns I wanted to try before making a purchase decision. I was not as impressed as I wanted to be.

I shot the gun very well, as accurate as anything I can shoot. It seemed very top heavy to me. I had the feeling the the bore axis was higher than the other guns I am familiar with (Beretta 92 and S&W 686). The grips also seemed too short. I felt like my pinky finger was slilding past the bottom of the grip. I found the trigger to be very nice. I had been lead to believe the DA trigger wasn't the best but this range gun was very good (I imagine the rental is very well broken in). I may try it again before I make a decision, but you know what they say about love at first sight. This is definitely a fine gun but it maybe just doesn't fit my hands.

payne
September 6, 2005, 10:28 PM
In reguards to it feeling top heavy. Many polymer guns wil feel that way when empty. With a full mag it shouldnt though. I'm holdin mine now and it seem to me to be well balanced. Ya must have some large hands to have your pinky slippin off the USP grip. i hope you like the weapon, and eventualy get one. They have some stellar accuracy reports.

CobrayCommando
September 6, 2005, 10:30 PM
The one I used rattled, it was a full size in .45, it was massive and seemed to have oddly excessive recoil.

Half-Price Assassin
September 6, 2005, 11:02 PM
if you find the USP9/40 to small, that your pinky finger slips off, reach for a USP45! oh and if that is still to small, get some magazine extensions, for it. i have the oppisite problem my hand is to small for mine, i cant seem to get the middle of my index finger to touch the center of the trigger, so my shots sometimes go left. thats why i like GLOCK so much. The GLOCK seems to fit my hand alot better. but hey if you dont like the USP, dont forget the MARK23, i think that is bigger. or look at Sigs, or berettas. HKs are kind of heavy for a plastic pistol, and the "recoil reduction system", i dont think really does much in combating recoil. but they are accurate, and rugged as a tank, and thats why i bought one (well more then that)! :)

bronicadave
September 7, 2005, 08:37 AM
I plan on trying again on another visit to that range (my usual range doesn't have rentals). I do say I shot very accurately with it but it did seem to have more muzzle flip. I figured this was related to it feeling top heavy to start with. Is the distance from the center of the barrel to the grip higher on the USP than on the Beretta 92? I'm not sure where you would measure on the grip. Is there any references that would show some standardized measure for different guns?

dgludwig
September 7, 2005, 09:58 AM
If your hands are too big for the USP 9, the previous poster's advice to try the USP45 seems good. However, if, after trying the .45 version of the USP, you still don't feel comfortable with it I would pass on it and try the fit of other pistols until you find one you like-and like a lot .

I have a USP40 and find its grip to conform well to my hand. But there are so many good handguns out there and, because I believe that how well a pistol fits your is of such vital importance, my advice is to keep looking and (whenever possible) shooting different ones until you find the one. Have you tried the larger variations of the SIGs?

John Ringo
September 7, 2005, 10:03 AM
The USP45F is a good handgun. I bought mine several months ago. It did seem rather large at first, but I got used to it. Mine doesn't rattle. Fired one that did as a range rental. Most range rentals are heavily used & abused.

Smurfslayer
September 7, 2005, 03:49 PM
I have both the 92 & USP 9.

You're correct about the perceived muzzle flip / top heavy feel between the 2. The USP is a lighter gun, and as PP pointed out most of it's weight is up top. I don't think the bore axis is as much to do with it. I've shot 9, 9+P & 9+P+ through both, and the USP definitely jumps a little more, but I don't think recovery is significantly affected with the proper grip. The USP also has a slightly better 2 stage recoil spring which to me seems to make a difference also.

If you find the grips are too short, get + 2 mag extensions and wollf +10% springs :D