PDA

View Full Version : S&W 5906 question

Klaud Wachnen
September 6, 2005, 05:20 PM
How is this gun? The price is very good and has attractive looks. Any owners can tell me pro's and con's?

Thankyou.

Eric Larsen
September 6, 2005, 06:19 PM
Well its a fine weapon. Lots of information if you search it on this and many other forums. Lots of hi caps for cheap, nice reliability....etc.
A "NICE" price would be in the 225-275$ range........300-350$ is still worth looking at. Especially with night sights...........
Shoot well.

Flashpoint
September 6, 2005, 08:34 PM
The one my dad owns has a trigger as nice as any Sig I've handled. Even though it's a service pistol, I don't think it would be very hard to conceal. I've been looking real hard .45 acp version CDNN is selling.

Hawgleg44
September 6, 2005, 08:34 PM
I've owned two of them before.

Pros- excellent ergonomics, 100% reliable with all types of ammo in my experiences, and a very well made gun. You'll never wear it out.

Con- It's HEAVY!

The reason I don't have them anymore is because I feel they are too heavy for a 9mm. And, I like Smiths 3rd Generation DAO's, too. So, I ended up with a 5943. The "4" designates DAO, and the "3" is for an aluminum frame.

You can find 5903's out there, too, but they are usually more expensive.

Logs
September 6, 2005, 08:39 PM
I have one, gave $300 with night sights. I like it a lot, very dependable. Accuracy is okay, my Glock and Sig out shoots it. :)

PeterGunn
September 6, 2005, 11:50 PM
I've owned more S&W pistols than any other brand...

915 (essentially a simplified 5904)
4516-2
4506-1
SW1911

While I only retain the 4506 and the 1911, the 9mm are all excellent performers and should serve well as service sidearms or as a home defence weapon. As has already been mentioned, a 5906 is a solid (read heavy) piece of equipment but can handle the hottest of all the rounds available, assuming it is mechanically sound to start with.

Simply put... never a misfire, no FTE to speak of... and at the prices that are being spoken of here, a tough gun to pass up.

God Bless!

3 weelin geezer
September 7, 2005, 02:56 AM
Yes I agree that it is heavy. I would say the ruger comes next then the beretta then the taurus. Its very dependable and rugged though. I think it allows quick follow up shots because its heavy and does not flip as much. This also absorbs recoil energy more too. Being that its totally made of stainless unlike the other alloy frame guns I chose this one for durability, looks and that is heavy. I happen to own a 686 .357 magnum too and I just like how they point in my hand too. Grip's not too big or too small so I can reach the trigger without making my hand into the shape of a witch's spell casting hand.

Hawgleg44
September 7, 2005, 08:03 AM
I own, or have owned a LOT of S&W autos. 2-5906's, 2-6906's, 6946, 2-3913's, 3954, 3953, 2-645's, 4506, 457, 910, 5943, and 8 Sigmas. Out of them all, I've had one, yes ONE malfunction of any kind.

I can't say that for any other brand pistol that I've owned, and I've owned them all!

Klaud Wachnen
September 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thank you all, I may look into buying one sometime.

Juna
September 7, 2005, 07:33 PM
What do you guys make of the SW9VE vs the SW99? I held these at a local store and was wondering what kind of quality they have. They're pretty inexpensive!

Hawgleg44
September 7, 2005, 08:39 PM
The Sigma Series is one of my all-time favorite pistols. Some will disagree with me on this, but I've owned or been issued 8 of them so far, with a 9th coming within a few weeks, and have been more than impressed with them since day one.

The only malfunction I've ever had in a Sigma was one FTE in a 1st Generation SW40F. I had over 8000 rounds through that pistol. That's a great record if you ask me.

Right now, I have an SW40VE, SW9VE and SW40G, with an SW9GVE coming soon. Never a malfunction of any kind in any of them. I shoot mostly cast bullet reloads with Unique powder. Not exactly clean burning, and my shooting sessions are up to 500 or 600 rounds with no cleaning or oiling in between.

The Sigma is extremely well designed ergonimically, 100% reliable in my experiences, adequately "combat" accurate, and the trigger is heavy, but easy to master with a little practice. I can take any of mine and put them all into the head of a MA "Q" target at 15 yards, firing as quickly as I can get the sights aligned again, too. I have found that recoil seems lighter with the Sigmas than other comparable sized pistols. I think it's the way the grip is designed.

I've never had an SW99/990, but I did own a Walther P99 in .40 for a short time. I didn't find any of the 3 backstrap inserts comfortable, and the trigger didn't impress me at all. Accuracy was decent, but no better than the Sigma.

For the average gunshop price of less than $300, the Sigma is the best deal in the combat type handgun market. If you search in this forum, you will see many threads on the Sigma. The S&W Forum at www.Smith-WessonForum.com is another excellent source for good Sigma info, too.

guntotin_fool
September 8, 2005, 12:15 AM
I have a 6903 and I like it a lot. I usually carry a 45 but the smith works first time every time. it has become a summer time bug

Hawgleg44
September 8, 2005, 09:32 AM
You mean a 6906? As far as I know, S&W never made a 6903 (although that's what they should have named the 6906 with its aluminum frame).