PDA

View Full Version : Baretta Type "F" & "G"

MatchGrade
September 6, 2005, 02:38 PM
What is the differece between the two. I'm new so bare with me.

ATW525
September 6, 2005, 02:39 PM
F has a combination safety/decocker
G has just a decocker and no safety

MatchGrade
September 6, 2005, 02:42 PM
The pic looks like there is a safety on both.

ATW525
September 6, 2005, 02:45 PM
There's a lever on both. On the F it's actual safety, that also decocks the pistol. On the G the lever only decocks the pistol and will return to the "fire" position automatically when you release pressure on it.

MatchGrade
September 6, 2005, 02:50 PM
Which is more popular?

ATW525
September 6, 2005, 02:55 PM
In 92 series, the F is the most widely available with Gs found primarly in the Special Duty pistols and surplus Government contract pistols. Many people like the G, though, because the risk of accidently having the safety on when you need it with the F model (of course the safety on my F model 96 has never accidently engaged by itself... but hey, you never know...).

The PX4 will be readily available in both types.

MatchGrade
September 6, 2005, 03:01 PM
My cop friend says the LAX Airport Police are forced to have the saftey of their 92FS on while holstered. Must be fun having to unlock the safety before you draw on a criminal. High pressure situation and an extra thing to remember.

Average Joe
September 6, 2005, 03:23 PM
Its so well designed, just a simple flick of your thumb, and the safety is off. Really a non issue.

Avizpls
September 6, 2005, 04:19 PM
Its so well designed, just a simple flick of your thumb, and the safety is off

You must be confusing this with the 1911's. Does'nt the 92 have the safety that is backwards from the natural motion of the hand upon grabbing hold of the pistol?

ATW525
September 6, 2005, 04:29 PM
Up is off on the 92, the opposite of the 1911, but the safety is also above the thumb instead of below it, so it works out well that way. Basically you're flicking it forwards with your thumb and it will continue to swing forwards and upwards until it locks into the "fire" detent.

Wildcard
September 6, 2005, 04:44 PM
Beretta type F is manual safety and decocker
Beretta type G is decocker only, no manual safety

Billy Sparks
September 7, 2005, 07:00 AM
If you are like me and like to carry pistols without a manual safety (Sigs, Glocks, etc) you really like the G version.