PDA

View Full Version : 6" .40S&W v.s. 3.78" .45ACP

Half-Price Assassin
September 5, 2005, 10:15 PM
here is a question, i have had on my mind for awhile now. what has more stopping power,

in this corner now sweeping Law enforcement, and CCW permit holders, weighing in at 165 grains, fighting out of a 6 inch barrel, .40S&W (loud cheering)!!!!!!!

in the other corner we have the old time legend, big guy, with the nick name, "the manstopper", weighting in at 230 grains, fighting out of a 3.78 inch barrel, .45 ACP!!!! (loud cheering)!!!!!!

LETS GET READY TO RUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!!!!!!!!!

so what do you guys rather have for your home protection?

also how well do you think the 6inch .40S&W gun would do against perhaps a 4 inch, or 4.5 inch, or even a 5inch barreled .45ACP?

briang2ad
September 6, 2005, 08:03 PM
On what load - type of bullet and MV, etc. It seems to me that the 40, which comes closer to the 357 Mag in performance (155 gr at a good MV), MIGHT have an edge on the ol 45 - but I'm sure others will have data...

I've always heard VERY good things on the 357 for "one shot stops", etc.

Handy
September 6, 2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think anyone is 100% on which is "better" even out of the same barrel length. Throwing that in doesn't help matters.

mete
September 6, 2005, 10:13 PM
Nobody has really found any significant difference between the 40 and 45 on the street.Don't loose any sleep over it.

Half-Price Assassin
September 6, 2005, 10:52 PM
I know this thread seems odd but the thing that really lingered in my mind was how barrel length effects bullet performance. for instance, how long does a barrel have to be, to capture the real potential of a certain round. example, many find the 9mm to be worthless (GLOCK 17, 4.49inch barrel), but an MP5 9mm, with a 8.85inch barrel is considered suffient for stopping a threat. so simply by increasing the barrel length, by 4 to 3 inches, you can make a wimpy round, an awesome round. so which lead me to another thought, is 6 inches for a .40S&W round, considered sufficent for true manstopping capablity? and for a .45ACP round is anthing below 3.3inches considered a poor choice for self defence?

here is another thought, if you were a S.W.A.T. officer, and you had to clear a room, would you grab your MP5 9mm, or your USP45? is a 9mm with a barrel 4.44 inches longer then the .45 pistol more effective, or does the .45 still beat it? i know many of you guys think, "oh no, not another caliber war", but its on my mind right now. :rolleyes:

BillCA
September 6, 2005, 11:20 PM
Half-Priced...

C'mon now, let's not stack the deck toooo much! :D

Most any handgun round will benefit from a 6" barrel over a 3" or 4" one. It's been known for some time that lopping off an inch of barrel will often drop the muzzle speed between 28 and 50fps, depending on the round and other factors. The faster you drive JHP/JSP handgun bullets, the more likely they are to expand. The threshold, for many years, was between 1000 & 1100 fps.

"Best/Better caliber questions always miss the point - it's shot placement that counts!

And if you want me to clear a room, it'll be with a short 12 gauge semi loaded with #4 buckshot. :D