PDA

View Full Version : P99 Or Glock 23

bk83gold
September 5, 2005, 02:27 PM
OK guys,
I have been looking at either a Glock 23 in .40 cal or the Walter P22 in .40 cal. I am looking for an accurate reliable gun that I can put a tactical light on. I like the look of both these guns. Which one is better?

On the flip side I would consider a nice 1911 style spring field, Kimber or Para that would accept a light rail. I would like 10+1 for capacity or higher. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Thank You,
Brandon

BerettaCougar
September 5, 2005, 03:19 PM
Even though im a P99 owner.

For the price, I would go Glock next time.

Glocks makes an awesome pistol
It's ugly as sin, but it is a combat weapon, built to defend not to win beauty contests.

The magazine capacity is also greater than the p99 (in 40)

timothy75
September 5, 2005, 03:23 PM
You wont go wrong with either. Personally I'd take the glock with the utmost confidence.

Duxman
September 5, 2005, 03:45 PM
I am a P99 owner (2 of them) and my brother in law is a big glock supporter. For finish, ergonomics, accuracy - I would go P99. Although mine has never malfunctioned on me, I would begrudingly give the reliability to the glock.

Overall I would go P99.

Slateman
September 5, 2005, 03:52 PM
Try them both :)

P99 has an amazing grip. Fits like a glove.

Glock is. . . . Glock. Reliable and functions well.

I'd go P99. Then again, I think you should forgo this .40 S&W nonsense and get some 10mm :D

dpetreikis
September 5, 2005, 04:06 PM
well let's see.. i carry a walther as my issue duty weapon at work and have owned several glocks, including a 23, 27,30, and 32 and have fired hundreds of rounds through each. i personally have had no malfunctions with my walther, but i have shared the firing line with several other officers who did - several times when i was right next to them to witness. one slide failure, several failures to feed/fire/extract and the magazine base plates seem to be weak, breaking when dropped during speed reloads. on the other hand, i have not personally had or heard of any failures from any of my glocks or from anyone i know who owns one. yes, the p99 does feel more ergonomic, and "feel" is very important, but a defensive handgun MUST BE RELIABLE 100%. advantage = glock. (imho)

briang2ad
September 5, 2005, 04:22 PM
If you like brand X get a Glock. 'Everybody's' got one.

If you want some ergnnomics and a better looking plastic gun, get a Walther.

2002gti
September 5, 2005, 05:18 PM
sjop here for a glock http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

Silvanus
September 5, 2005, 05:33 PM
I've got a Walther P99 AS in 9mm and I've never had a malfunction. It fits my hand pefectly and is very accurate. I shot a friend's .40 too, it's not quiet as accurate as the 9mm but still very good.

I like Glocks too (and have shot several), but IMHO the Walther would be the better choice.

BerettaCougar
September 5, 2005, 10:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/jessejesse123/Heath/p9.jpg

My p99

BlueSix
September 6, 2005, 01:46 AM
I'd recommend a P99 over the Glock. I just don't like glocks :(

Have you considered the XD line at all? To me they are the guns that 'out-Glock' the Glock.

I own both a P99 and a XD and love both. The 'anti-stress' feature of my P99 trigger, however, I could live without.

-B6

Silvanus
September 6, 2005, 06:12 AM
BlueSix, you could buy a QA or DAO, they have the same trigger pull from the first to the last shot.

denfoote
September 6, 2005, 04:07 PM
A Walther P22 in .40S&W???!!!!

I'd be all over that one in a heartbeat!!! ;) :D

bk83gold
September 6, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have shot the Glock 23 before and I like it allot. The thing that sparked my attention was I bought a Walter P22 and it has been perfect. I figured that if there P22 felt and shot so good maybe there .40 cal would be just as good if not better. This is going to be a desert plinking gun. Yes reliability is very important in case I decide to carry. How may rds does the P99 hold. I think the Glock holds 15+1 although I could be wrong on that, I am strictly going off memory of my dads Glock.

Brandon

ATW525
September 6, 2005, 06:53 PM
I'd take the P99 over the Glock as long as it was a P99QA... better ergonomics and you can release the tension on the striker without pulling the trigger, which I see as an added safety bonus. Normal capacity from the Glock 23 is 13+1, and the P99 is 12+1.

Webleymkv
September 6, 2005, 07:22 PM
I'd go P99 because it fits the hand better and is a lot better looking. Capacity is really an overstated issue. If thirteen won't do it then one more probably won't help. Also, I'm a big Walther fan.

TiP99
September 6, 2005, 08:58 PM
P99 It doesnt have a wack grip angle. The glock can touch the grip of the P99. It belongs in your hand. I like to say the P99 is the Glock that grew up.
Truthfully you can go wrong with both. So buy them both

9mm1033
September 8, 2005, 10:41 AM
My 9mm P99 is good enough for me. Yes, it's made in Germany.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/OH25shooter/DSCN1027.jpg

R1145
September 8, 2005, 11:57 AM
Shoot, shoot, shoot. Decide.

2002gti
September 8, 2005, 04:59 PM
where's all the G23 men, you gonna let them run over you like that?

Alex_L
September 8, 2005, 06:20 PM
Two just about the same plastic German guns, one fits the hand better. The answer is obvious :)
I'm not sure that Glock is more reliable. Maybe, for 9mm FMJ it's fine. Walter is deadly reliable. As for Glock, I personally had misfires with HP ammo.

jonathon
September 8, 2005, 06:25 PM
I've a Glock 17, 2nd gen. From a rest it will consistently nail 2.5-3" @ yards if I'm doing my part..

I'm sure the P99 would do the same :cool:

I chose Glock for a number of factors:

I liked how it shot and felt
Easy to perform maintence on ALL parts without shipping it off
Reliable
Rugged
Accurate
Excellent customer service and warrantee.

I think the first 2 factors were the reasons why I went Glock :cool:

I know the XD is fairly similiar, though my greatest dislike is that its got a grip saftey. That, and compared with the original HS2000, the XD is ugly as sin.

TiP99
September 8, 2005, 09:10 PM
Two just about the same plastic German guns, one fits the hand better. The answer is obvious

The Glock is Austrian. BTW. Hate to be a stickler.
Both have tennifer
Both are uber reliable.
CON-Glock has DAO
PRO-P99 Comes in a variety of trigger configurations

PRO-P99 Fits your hand like a glove
CON- Glock Has to be one of the worst grip configurations EVER

SHOOT THEM BOTH, THEN DECIDE

Thomas Nowicki
September 9, 2005, 09:27 PM
I've tried to like the G23 but the finger grooves just don't work with my hands. I loved the grip on the P99 though. However both are very reliable, durable, and accurate. It's gonna be a try each and decide which one you like better deal. Can't go wrong with either as long as they fit your hands.

bulbboy
September 10, 2005, 10:46 AM
I have the G23 and absolutely love it!! I am thinking about getting the P99 though - it does look good! The G23 is one of the best out of the box shooting machines I have ever shot - great weapon and fun to shoot!! Somehow try them both - I have heard nothing but good things of either weapon!! Another gun in the same range and style would be the XD - heard great things about those also. Is there a range in your area that rents guns? Or use this site to find someone in your area to go shoot with that has one of these!! Probably can't go wrong with either one - Good Luck!!

bk83gold
September 10, 2005, 11:13 AM
I got the chance to shoot both the glock 23 and P99 side by side the other day. They both felt great in my hands. I think it is going to come down to looks and I like the look of the P99 better. I thank all you guys for your input. Have fun shooting.

Brandon

seth
November 19, 2005, 08:45 PM
how are the P99 triggers, though? I've held one before, fits me like a glove and feels better than the Glock 17 or XD service. However, I never got to firing it, and read an entire thread on this forum about new P99s having tough and gritty DA/SA trigger pulls....

Do the new P99s (2005 and newer) have crappy triggers?

ikiddp5
November 20, 2005, 10:24 AM
I would go P99, it is a newer design, has better ergonomics, you can change the size of the grip, has differents trigger configurations, it is accurate, reliable, and has excellent quality.

Para Bellum
November 20, 2005, 02:03 PM
Check out the Glock 19, you get two rounds more in the same frame. We tested the Glock 23 vs the Glock 19 with the same type of ammo, Federal EFMJ and IMHO the .40 was not at all superior over the 9x19mm. Make up your own mind: http://www.raoulwagner.com/tests.htm click on Tests II 2005

.357SIG
November 20, 2005, 08:25 PM
I'd go with the P99. I like the looks and the grip better than those of the Glock. As far as everything else is concerned, I'd say they are about even.

My Walther P99 in .40 S&W with the OD "military" frame:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/G31/IMG_0043.jpg

wayne1one
December 27, 2005, 12:16 PM
I own a P99 but, I would also say get the glock because of the amount of parts and accessories out there for the glock. Better support at local gun ranges and shops. Both are reliable, and I have never had any reliability issues with .40 P99.

WalP99
December 27, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would go with the P99. I owned two Glocks (G19 & G30) and their reliablity and perforance was not even comparable to the P99. The AS trigger needs a little getting use to, but it is worth it. Then again there as two other trigger systems you can choose from with the P99 also.

Here is my 99's