PDA

View Full Version : Kimber ultra carry 2!!!!

mustang347gt
September 5, 2005, 09:56 AM
I am going to take my ccw class in 2 weeks.I am from Mich.I put a ultra carry 2 (.45) caliber on layaway.Has anyone experince with this gun.Is this a good gun to carry concealed?What are the best ammo to shoot through the gun?Can you use hollow points once broken in?How do you like the gun if you have one.

malachi
September 5, 2005, 05:22 PM
I have a ultra eclipse (all steel) that has never failed, before or after break-in.
I use Remington ball and Golden Saber. No problems thus far. I think you made a good choice.

HappyGunner
September 5, 2005, 05:33 PM
My Ultra Carry II has worked great be sure to get a few Wilson Combat 47OX seven round Mags with non-metal followers they won't damage your alloy frame. Just keep it well oiled slide and frame and shoot 230gr FMJ Ammo. at range. :)

azspyder
September 5, 2005, 05:38 PM
I agree with Happy Gunner, particulary about the Wilson Mags. My Kimber has shot everthing I have put in it right out of the box. I shoot 230 FMJs on the range and carry Hornady 200gr JHP TAP for social loads.
Great weapon!

chris in va
September 5, 2005, 05:39 PM
I think you're starting off with the wrong CCW being a 'newbie'.

Hey, taking my drivers license test today. I just bought a Porche 996 Turbo for the class... :eek:

mustang347gt
September 5, 2005, 06:07 PM
I have been shooting handguns for the past 15 yrs now.I own na rugar super redhawk and a jennings 9mm which I dislike the jennings.I wanted a good gun to carry thats why I choose the Kimber ultra carry 2.So its like I am no newbie to firing handguns.

ethernectar
September 5, 2005, 07:21 PM
I have the ultra elite II, which I think is about the same, but with an alloy frame and a melded stainless slide.

I've fed it a bunch of different factory & reloaded ammo. The only stuff it didn't like was some Truncated Metal Jacket target loads, but with some experimentation I could probably get those to feed reliably.

m

KyJim
September 5, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have a couple of full size .45s and purchased the Ultra Carry II a while back. The Ultra Carry is much more sensitive to "limp wristing" than the .45s. Its just a question of training but you do need to be aware of the issue.

mustang347gt
September 5, 2005, 07:59 PM
KYjim how do you like the ultra carry 2 overall.The reason I am getting it so it is easy to carry.I almost got the fullsize Kimber 1911 for a carry but overall thought it would be too big whats your opinion?

KyJim
September 5, 2005, 08:21 PM
Overall, I like it very well. Well balanced, nice trigger, and more accurate than I am. I am still breaking it in on FMJ. It doesn't seem to like Sellier & Bellot -- 3 or 4 FTFs out of a box of 50. It has done fine on PMC and WWB hardball I've tried.

I've tried an IWB holster and think I will like carrying it once I get it fully broken in.

bubbygator
September 5, 2005, 08:45 PM
3" 1911's from any maker are notoriously sensitive to small imperfections. I had to get rid of mine although it felt good & was a very accurate shooter. Please, before you commit to it being your carry gun, wring it out thoroughly.

poortrader
September 5, 2005, 11:55 PM
My UCII went back to Kimber for a little treatment. I haven't had a problem since I got it back from them. I think that Kimber put a new extractor and polished the feed ramp on my UCII. It's my primary CCW and the second pistol that I bought. Just be sure to get the stainless steel version. The SS tolerates holster wear a lot better.

poortrader
September 5, 2005, 11:57 PM
Hey Chris,

Don't you need to take the driver's ed class first before taking the driver's test in your new Porsche? :p