View Full Version : Quick Legal Question ???

August 4, 2005, 09:40 AM
A Legal question concerning NFA rules:

If you have an MG on your form 4 in a given state can it be transferred directly to another individual on their form 4 in the same state or must it always go through a transfer to a dealer then to the individual from the dealer?

I already know that out of state transfers must go through a dealer.

August 4, 2005, 09:47 AM
An individual can transfer an NFA weapon on a form 4 directly to another individual in the same state on a F4 with the payment of only ONE transfer tax. IOW if you own a MG on a F4 and have a buyer who is in your state, he just needs to do another F4 with you as the transferor and him (the buyer) as the transferee. Pay one tax and supply all the other normal forms (fingerprint cards, US citizenship certification).

James K
August 30, 2005, 12:08 PM
What Shaggy says is true with one proviso. Preface his post with "Unless state or local law says otherwise..."

Some states require the MG sales go through state or federal licensed dealers or require state registration. The CLEO should be aware of anything like that, but it never hurts to check in advance.


August 30, 2005, 07:30 PM
And, of course, a C&R machine gun can be transferred directly to an out-of-state C&R holder on a single F4 transfer (no dealer).