View Full Version : Site for Class A full auto license

News Shooter
July 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
Can someone please tell me where to get the application form? I can't find it on the BATF site?
Thanks much

July 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
You don't need a 'full auto license', if any such thing exists. You just have to be over 21 and capable of passing a background check.

News Shooter
July 16, 2005, 04:37 PM
then who do you apply to?b

July 16, 2005, 05:20 PM
some states require one to have some sort of license in order to purchase a class-iii firearm.

www.packing.org should have the info for your particular state.

News Shooter
July 16, 2005, 05:22 PM
I was under the impression that there was some federal law/license that superceded states..guess Iwas wrongbbbb

July 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
What are you trying to do? Do you want to buy a machinegun or do you want to get a license to manufacture machineguns?

If you only want to purchase a machinegun, and they are legal in your state, there are no federal licenses involved. Just some paperwork, a transfer fee, background check and a long wait on approval.

News Shooter
July 16, 2005, 05:28 PM
Tht's what I wanted to know. I am only interested in purchasing one

July 17, 2005, 01:57 PM
In that case the easiest answer is to find a local FFL who sells NFA guns. Before buying, given that it is legal in your state, make sure that you live in a county where the sheriff or other CLEO will sign off on the form 4's. Some counties are run as petty fiefdoms with the CLEO not being willing to do the background checks that the Federal Law requires him to do for citizens purchasing these guns.

It would be a real downer to jump through all the hoops and then drop $10,000 on a gun only to find out after the fact that the Sheriff doesn't believe citizens should have the RKBA. :(

Johnny Guest
July 17, 2005, 09:55 PM
News Shooter, I don't know the law in Massachusetts - - Whether or not there is a STATE law prohibiting full auto ownership. If so, the feds will not approve your Form 4, the application for the necessary $200 tax stamp.

Under current federal law, you cannot legally own a machine gun which has not already been registered. A licensed DEALER will have all the forms and can give you the details of the application process. If you happen to luck into finding a private owner who wants to sell his machine gun, it is legal to do a private transfer within your home state.

If you want to see how the Form 4 appears, go to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) FORMS page at - -

and scroll down to - -
ATF F 5320.4 (Form 4)
Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm

For more information, go back to FORMS page, look in the left-hand column, and click on HOME.

Hope this answers some of your questions.