View Full Version : Taking a rifle to Canada

June 28, 2005, 07:49 AM
A friend and I plan to travel to British Columbia this September for black bear. I know we will have to register the guns with Canadian Customs on entering the country. However, I've also read it's wise to list your gun's info on a U.S. Customs form ahead of time to avoid any confusion when bringing the guns back to the U.S.

Can anyone tell me how/where to go about registering serial numbers with U.S. Customs (I'm in Fort Worth/Dallas area)? Thanks for any advice. This is my first out-of-the-country hunt.

June 28, 2005, 09:14 AM


June 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Eghad.

June 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
FWIW, US Customs were not interested in my guns when returning from Canada last fall. They did look at the meat and the paperwork that went with it. Make sure you have the required USDA form, along with the Canadian forms.

July 2, 2005, 11:32 PM
Actually, bringing back your firearms and other personal items (cameras, computers, etc.) into the USA is a painless procedure IF you just abide by a very simple regulation. Doing otherwise can lead to a complicated import process and even forfeiture, more if the goods are foreign made. Moreover, after the September 11 attacks and with the enactmnet of antiterror laws, just attempting to bring firearms across the border without the proper documentation can put you in a VERY serious problem.

When you are at the last USA international airport of your trip or, if by land, at the border customs station, you go to the U.S. Customs office and request the form for taking out and bringing back personal items.

The form is free. You write in your personal data (name, address, etc.) and the description of the goods. A customs inspector sees them and verifies the data (item description, make, serial number), stamps the form and files a copy. You keep the original. When you return to the USA you just show the form to the inspector at the port of entry, they verify that the description matches the data in the form and that's it.

You can find the name and number of the form in the US Customs website.