View Full Version : Acquiring a FA and/or suppressed weapon in PA?

Vitamin G
May 16, 2005, 01:11 PM
Greetings all,
I've heard lots of different rumors on exactly how one buys a class III funstick in PA, and I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. I will be graduating with my Masters in August, and I would love to save up for an MP-5. Worst comes to worst, I would settle for a Walther P22 with a suppressor.

How do you I begin this process? Forms? Background checks? Tax stamps?

May 16, 2005, 11:29 PM
First, questions about your choices on this and other boards. Try to attend a mg shoot in your area and try shooting a few different guns -- usually they have them for rent. Normally during the mg shoot, they will have a quiet time for suppressed guns only and you can listen to different suppressors. You might also take a look at the new Silencer Tests web site, http://www.silencertests.com/. You can locate a class III or II dealer at: http://www.subguns.com/c2c3/c3state.htm#Pennsylvania

May 17, 2005, 08:40 AM
NFA weapons are legal in PA (thats where I have all my stuff). Basically you need to first check with your sheriff or chief of police to see if you can get a sign-off. If you're in Pittsburgh, I highly doubt it. Thats not an absolute no, but it just makes things a little more difficult and more expensive. If you can't get a sign-off from your CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) you'll need to form a corporation and purchase your NFA weapons as corporate assets.

Basically the process goes like this; find the gun or suppressor you want and pay for it. If its out of state you'll nee to have it transfered to a C3 ealer in PA. Once in their possession, it can be transfered to you or your corporation. Whether its coming from another individual in PA or from a dealer in PA, you'll need to complete a form 4 in duplicate, FBI fingerprint cards (in duplicate), pay a $200 transfer tax, and complete a US Citizenship Certification. More info at the link below.

More info (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169343)

May 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
Try to attend a mg shoot in your area and try shooting a few different guns -- usually they have them for rent.

A very good idea. if you're near Pittsburgh I'd highly recommend going to Bulletfest this June 24th and 25th. Bulletfest VI info (http://www.bulletfest.net)

May 19, 2005, 10:35 PM
One other thing to consider regarding sign-off. If you live IN Pittsburgh itself, you obviously have to try the main sheriff there. Any big city in PA unlikely to sign off. BUT, do some digging. Find people who are selling in your area (or even owning). Ask them who they dealt with.

I had same problem in my area (suburbs of Philadelphia). My county sheriff (as I am in small town with no police dept - just state troopers) wouldnt even go near the paperwork - refused to talk about it. After a lot of searching talked to an assistant in DA's office who said go to my state police. The guy signed (had just done same for another guy in my town a few months back). Guy congratulated me on my acquisition and was super helpful.

Now, this only worked because I have State Troopers and no sheriff in my town. But maybe you are in Pittsburgh 'area'? Also, those who are allowed to sign are those who have certain arrest powers (Chief Sheriff, District Attorney, some judges, etc . . .). Give us some more info and maybe there's an alternative.

But yeah, the corporation thing is a quicker (but slightly more annoying, if only one time purchase) option. But on other hand, you will probably get hooked and buy more :)

Good luck!

Vitamin G
May 20, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yup, im definately in Pittsburgh. I was under the impression that I just had to go through a thorough background check or something.

So if i want to own it personally, I need signatures from important people

And if i want some company I just happen to own, to own it, I just create a company and fill out a form?

May 20, 2005, 09:50 AM
And if i want some company I just happen to own, to own it, I just create a company and fill out a form?

Pretty much but theres's a few things to keep in mind. First, you MUST keep the corporation alive and in good standing - file all income taxes, pay all franchise taxes/fees, business licensess (if necessary), etc.. If the corporation 'dies', even for lack of filing some minor paperwork YOU will be in possession of an unregistered NFA weapon which is a felony. (remember the corporation is the registered owner, not you)

Second, if you use the corporation for other activities or carrying on other business, you should consider forming a seperate company for holding your NFA weapons. As assets of the corporation, they can be used to satisfy debts and judgments against the corporation.

Additionally, only those members of the corporation who are specifically empowered to by the corporation, AND who would otherwise be legal to possess an NFA weapon can possess it. In other words, you can't form a corporation and let your 17 year old brother use the NFA weapons unsupervised even if he is a shareholder and/or specifically empowered by the corporation to do so. His possession would still be illegal.
Similarly, you couldn't let your business partner in the corporation possess any NFA weapons if he had a felony on his record, for example.

May 27, 2005, 05:01 AM
You just need one... Pete's ... Call the office first to make sure they don't want something mailed. There's nothing worse than standing in line all day with everyone and their uncle to only hear "We can't do that here, you have to mail that..."
I honestly don't know one way or the other if they want it mailed or not.. I haven't needed to get them to sign off on anything for class III before.


Allegheny County Courthouse / Room G-8 / Pittsburgh, PA

MONDAY - FRIDAY 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
SATURDAY 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Phone: (412) 350-3044