PDA

View Full Version : Has Wolf Ammo gotten better?

jonathon
May 7, 2005, 06:48 PM
I recently purchased a 500 round pack of 7.62x39mm Wolf ammo at a gun show, and shot most of it up.

Now, I noticed something different about all the rounds I fired compared to my last box of wolf I got. First off, it seemed cleaner. Another thing is that it was(for sure) MUCH louder than previous Wolf that I've put through my gun. Accuracy was about the same, 3-4" groups at 100 yards resting. I just got done cleaning and noticed that my gun wasn't as gunked up as it normally is with Wolf.

On another note, I was taking out pop cans at 75 yards with my .44 today.. Standing :D

Samuel_Hoggson
May 7, 2005, 06:52 PM
At the '05 SHOT I spoke with the Wolf rep. He said that the .223 was going to be loaded "closer" to M-193 spec.

So maybe they've upped the performance across the board??

Sam

novus collectus
May 7, 2005, 06:54 PM
Hope they don't raise the price too.

38splfan
May 7, 2005, 07:40 PM
It seems that in the past there were A LOT of complaints about Wolf ammo.
It got to the point where some of the ranges I used completely banned it.

Apparently Wolf has heard and is responding. Recent batches I've bought have been much better than some of the older stuff. I've noticed a big improvement in cleanliness.

Brenden
May 7, 2005, 07:42 PM
So they changed other things besides just the Polymer coating??

jonathon
May 7, 2005, 08:02 PM
So they changed other things besides just the Polymer coating??

I'd take a gander and say yes :eek:

I only paid $45 for a box of 500 rounds of new Wolf 7.62x39, cheaper than the surplus crap was. My only complaint was the red stuff the primer left on the bolt, but I got it all of so :P

TPAW
May 9, 2005, 07:47 PM
I've been shooting Wolf ammo for a long time. Over the years it has really caught on and more and more people are using it. Because of it's early reputation of being dirty, and due to the fact that they are selling it much more than in the past, the product has cleaned up quite a bit. Of course, I can only speak for the 7.62x39 in 154 grain soft point. That's all I shoot from my SKS, AK and Mini 30. I find the accuracy in the 154 grain to be much more consistant and good for hunting. It equals and is slightly better than the 30-30 balistics. At 100 yards the SKS and Mini 30 (scoped), I can put 5 shot groups into a 1 1/2 to 3 inch circle. The AK (Arsenal, Sam 7 Carbine, iron sights), 4 to 5 inch circles. All firing was done from a supported position.
I also agree with Jonathan, they are louder than before, perhaps better power? I remember at one point having to re-zero my rifles to accommodate the hotter load.

Lycanthrope
May 9, 2005, 08:54 PM
Wolf rimfire ammo is absolutely awesome. Not just good.....awesome.

cheygriz
May 9, 2005, 09:18 PM
[/QUOTE] So they changed other things besides just the Polymer coating??

I always thought the ols stuff was pretrty good for plinking, even with the lacquer coating.

If the new stuff is even better, that's great!

40CalGuy
May 9, 2005, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear from someone that's shooting Wolf 7.62x39 in SP from an aka and SKS. I plan on getting an SKS soon, and I am thinking that since the rifle will be cheap, and to start will be iron sights only, I'll shoot cheap ammo through it. Wolf is the cheapest, and as I don't reload, and have 2 kids cheap is good. If it's spendy to shoot, I can't even think about it. Thanks for the info guys!

Wraith
May 9, 2005, 09:54 PM
Personally, Wolf is my favorite brand of ammuntion.

Yep, I said it.

Sure, it's not what I use to compete with but it's what I use as cheap fodder.

Why? Because it's cheap and reliable.

My one complaint is the red flakes left behind from the primer. Sure it's dirty, but I clean my rifles. ;)

jonathon
May 9, 2005, 09:56 PM
I shoot whatever I can find cheapest from wolf.. this last batch was 122gr FMJ.

I've heard nothing but praise about the .22LR Wolf, but I can't afford that.