PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Info on Norinco NHM-90. To buy or not to buy

stantonizm
May 7, 2005, 12:11 AM
OK...I'm in college and getting ready to move home for the summer tommorow. I came across an ad in the bulletin board for a Norinco .233 AK47. I went and checked it out and it looked pretty nice. I noticed it didnt have the Pre/no ban features and couldn't find any identifying markings. the serial number began with NHM90.... I thought it may have been a Mak90, but it had a pistol grip stock. I thought maybe it had been added, but the owner said he bought it new around 10 years ago and thats the way it came. He said it has less than 30 rounds through it and he'll sell for 475 as opposed to the original 500$. Caught up in the moment I said I'd take it and gave him a 10 dollar deposit. Now that I've been researching I'm not sure its the deal I thought it was. The kicker is I told him I'd buy it and I have to do it sometime before tommorow afternoon before I leave town. So...what do these guns run for, are they good guns. If its not a real good deal I dont care to take a 10 dollar hit and find something else at a gun show tommorow. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Stanton

Sodbuster
May 7, 2005, 07:40 AM
My first concern would be the availability of magazines. I believe these take the same magazines as the .223 MAK-90, which are somewhat expensive and can be problematic finding. Not sure about the price, seems high even for a 98% rifle. Does it come with box, cleaning equip, mags, sling, etc. Someone else here can speak better than I to the price. You might visit the Norinco site at www.ak-47.net and contact JA there, or try to send him a personal message here at TFL.

John Ringo
May 7, 2005, 08:05 AM
Ahhh WVU :-)

My buddy is an ER Doctor over at Byrd Medical Center......

Sorry, no rifle info.

shaggy
May 7, 2005, 09:54 AM
Its a good rifle, and likely one of the guns caught in transit when the '89 import ban came down, so probably a "pre-ban" with respect to the '89 import ban. Just try to document the fact the gun came with a pistol grip, etc. when you bought it and who you bought it from. Personally, I'd say $475 is on the high side for a Norinco, but the 5.56 guns were much more rare so you're paying for that rarity. As a comparison, a MAK90 (7.62x39, post-89 ban) generally goes for about $300-375 (I got one last week though for $265 delivered :D ). 30rd steel 5.56 AK type mags generally go for about $30/each, so keep that in mind on the deal. For example, if you're getting 3-4 steel mags with it, there's about $90-120 in value right there (thus pegging the gun itself at about $355-385). consider how many mags and what accessories. K-VAR currently lists 5.56 Bulgarian waffles for about $15 though, so if you don't mind plastic mags (the Bulgarians are suppossed to be quite good), $15 each isn't bad.
K-VAR Bulgarian waffles (http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=202&1=204&3=639)

(edited to add - I just realized those are just mag bodies, no followers, floorplates, or springs, so its probably not that great of a deal on mags, but KVAR does have other mags for about $30 each)

Generally I'd say its a bit high, and if you're not absolutely dedicated to the idea of a 5.56 AK type, I'd probably pass and get a 7.62x39 gun. I personally prefer the AR15 for 5.56 and the AK for 7.62x39 or 5.54x39. And for $475, you're only $150-200 short to get a nice AR15 instead.

stantonizm
May 7, 2005, 05:23 PM
Well I've sorta decided to wait...but I'm not completely decided. It's one of the nicest looking AK's I've seen, and it has a great trigger. It comes with a 10 round and 2 30 rounders. Plus, around here a used Maadi costs 400 with thumbhole stock, a Wasr-10 at the local pawn shop is around 600........... I'm also considering an AR. But for the 1000 dollars it would cost to get a nice AR, I could have the AK which would probably suit me pretty well as a fun gun and use the other $500+ to buy a nice pistol too. Does anyone know if the tube welded over the threads on the NHM-90 can be removed easily...That would be a plus. The info you all have given me already has been helpful, and anymore would be great.
-Stanton

stantonizm
May 7, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well....I went ahead and decided to buy it. A few people reccomended it on another ak-47 forum, and one said he'd buy it off of me at 475 if I didn't like it. ++Plus++ I just sold a Tec-9 I had, with a disassembled trigger group, for 425. I look at it like trading a Tec (that needed proffesional help to work --and when I say work I mean work like a Tec-9 does, it would require a LOTof work to make a Tec shoot like a quality gun) plus 50 dollars for an AK that should function as well as the ~$1000 84-s Underfolder. It should be a decent gun just for fun shooting, and if I don't like it I can always sell it. Thanks for your alls help though.
-James Stanton II

jonathon
May 7, 2005, 08:14 PM
Norinco's are well made, and fairly accurate :) You'll enjoy it.

BusGunner007
May 7, 2005, 09:09 PM
BUY SOME MAGAZINES FOR IT ASAP.
Have fun!

stantonizm
May 7, 2005, 11:41 PM
Here's a pic.