PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 8400 -- what scope?

M1911
May 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
I'm ordering a Kimber 8400 in .270 WSM. I'm going to use it for hunting deer in VT. I expect that the range I'll need will be between 50 and 200 yards.

What scope should I get?

The Kimber 8400 is a very light rifle, so I don't want to make it top-heavy with a monster scope. The action is short, so I'm concerned that I might have a problem mounting a scope with a lot of eye relief.

Given my druthers, I'd prefer to keep cost well under $1,000 and I'd like to buy American. I'm leaning to Leupold, but which one?

Jaywalker
May 5, 2005, 08:15 PM
I've got a Leupold VX-III on my M84, and there is definitely too much eye relief. The problem is the power adjustment ring - where it sits is where I want the ring. If I get tired of the extended rings I put on it, I'll put a new Leupold 4X on it in place of variable, and that should work just fine on a hunting rifle.

Jaywalker

JB in SC
May 5, 2005, 10:50 PM
M1911,

The Kimber presents some difficulties in mounting some scopes for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but seems to be the overall action length, and in particular the length from the rear receiver ring back to the tang.

At least that's my theory..... :)

You might consider the new VX-II Leupold Ultralight 3-9X (the old Compact line). Better coatings and click adjustments, a little better contrast and less flare. You do sacrifice some light transmission in comparison to a full sized scope, but it does have a shorter eye relief and goes with the lightweight platform. I would get the 4a reticle, if possible. It should go about 9 ounces or so.

I used the older Vari-X 3-9X Compact on my Ultra Light Arms .270 for seven years. Never noticed the lack of low light performance.

Best,
JB

M1911
May 8, 2005, 07:11 PM
JB: What scope ring height would you recommend for the VXII ultralight? With only a 33mm lens, would it work better with short or medium height rings?

JB in SC
May 8, 2005, 09:20 PM
Low Leupold rings should be fine. I don't think the scope will present any clearance problems using lows.

Best,
JB