PDA

View Full Version : Enfield

USP45usp
May 4, 2005, 06:22 PM
**First, sorry I haven't been on for awhile, had a bad upper respiratory infection, viral, not bacterial**

My Enfield came in today from AIM. Since I didn't pay the $$ for manufacturer of choice I ended up with an Indian (India). It was made in 1952 (so it most likely didn't see any action). I haven't cleaned it yet so I can't see the marks well.

Oh, it's a No. 1 MKIII and looks to be in good shape. Heck, I can't complain for $113 doller rifle.

Anyone have any good sites to go to for more information on the markings (when I can see them clearly).

Thanks,

Wayne

dasmi
May 4, 2005, 06:24 PM
**First, sorry I haven't been on for awhile, had a bad upper respiratory infection, viral, not bacterial**
Glad you're back. Healthy now?

Pthfndr
May 4, 2005, 08:32 PM
http://www.303british.com/

jefnvk
May 4, 2005, 09:36 PM
I got the same in .308. Not a bad rifle, if I may say so.

dr.magnum
May 5, 2005, 05:35 AM
Also check out www.britishguns.net Some very knowledgeable people there.

No4Mk1
May 5, 2005, 11:22 AM
USP45usp, you can go to the Brit Rifles forum from the link in my sig-line. Lots of friendly & knowledgable people there to help.

Ishapores are looked down on my some Enfield purists, but in truth they are often better shooters than their war-worn counterparts. Many of the most accurate Enfields I have seen are either Ishy made or Ishy refurbs.

Enjoy!!

USP45usp
May 5, 2005, 12:20 PM
All,

Thanks for the links :).

As for "knowing" about enfields, I don't, so I couldn't have ordered a specific manufacturer anyway :o and I'm happy with what I got :).

I am finding that I am having a hard time removing the trigger guard screw in the rear, the screw head is twisting out of shape, any idea's on what to do? I put WD-40 on it to see if that will help. Do I even need to remove it to take off the bottom wood?

Thanks again all :).

Wayne

Lone Star
May 5, 2005, 02:10 PM
Ishapore rifles may well have seen service against the Chinese in the China-India border wars, so the fact that one was made in 1952 doesn't mean it didn't see war use.

Also, British rifles made then may have seen active service in Korea, Kenya (Mau-Mau "Emergency"), Malaya, or elsewhere where shots were fired in earnest.

I suspect the most accurate SMLE types would be No. 4 Mk. II's.

Lone Star

USP45usp
May 5, 2005, 08:45 PM
Question: How do you get a 3.7' rifle into a 2.5' box?

Answer: (see the really bad pictures :( )

I swear (sorry for the swearing) but I don't know what is more fun:

1. Buying them
2. Learning how to take them apart
3. Cleaning them
4. Putting them back together
5. Shooting them

I've never had this much fun with rifles before. This is number 2 that I've bought, had brought to my door, learned about, taken apart, and now am cleaning. The putting it back together and shooting it comes later.

Wayne

JRLaws
May 6, 2005, 02:00 AM
My brother and I were shooting a .303 at 50 yards with some old FMJ ammo. After his second shot I noticed the weeds moving behind our target and we went to see what was going on. The bullets had gone through the paper target, a 12 - 18 inch thick maple log and an old piece of 3/4 inch plywood. :eek: It was scary to think of being on the wrong end of one of these guns and quite an eye opener about "cover".