PDA

View Full Version : What is this?!

Stiletto
May 3, 2005, 11:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/StilettoOne/wallhack.jpg

dZ
May 3, 2005, 11:10 PM
On the subject of gunfighting, the great philosopher Clint Smith says, "Always cheat, always win!" Well, cheating has been taken to a whole new level with the new Corner Shot[TM], from Corner Shot Holdings LLC. Simply put, the corner shot allows the shooter to accurately shoot around a corner from full concealment or cover, without ever exposing himself.

The corner shot is the brain child of Lt. Col. Amos Golan of the Israeli Defense Forces. Golan was frustrated by the mounting casualties in the West Bank and was compelled to do something about it. Immediately he hit on the idea of shooting from cover or concealment without exposing oneself.

He reviewed previous designs like the World War II German Krummerlauf attachment on the MP44 assault rifle, which used a bent barrel and a mirror system for sighting. The problem with the Krummerlauf was that it was only good for defending a fixed position. You couldn't really take it with you because the barrel was permanently bent.

Flash Of Insight

One day while walking down the street, Amos Golan hit on the solution. Looking at his hand, particularly the wrist, he saw how the wrist can bend either way. If there were a handgun attached to something that could bend like a wrist, corner shooting could be done. He then developed what you see in the photos, the first truly practical system for shooting around corners. Golan broke the corner shooting mold by going to a pistol rather than a rifle, and therein lies the genius of the design.

The Corner Shot is not really a weapon in itself, rather a remote sighting and firing fixture for a pistol of your choice. Simply mount your preferred sidearm into the Corner Shot fixture, sight in and you are ready to go. Observation and shooting is accomplished by sighting through the video view finder. The video viewfinder is much like what you would find on your typical consumer video camera, but this one has crosshairs on it.

Just under the gun are a laser sighting device, flashlight and a small video camera. The camera is sighted in quite similarly to a riflescope, with screw adjustments for windage and elevation. Sight-in is done mechanically rather than through software which means you will never loose your zero due to some software glitch.

Accuracy Multiplier

Once the weapon is sighted in, shooting can be done with quite a bit of precision, much more so than if the pistol were hand held. Rotating the pistol for corner shooting is instant and straight forward. The forend of the corner shot comes loose much like the lever of a lever action rifle which allows for swiveling of the pistol fixture.

The corner shot can swivel 62 degrees either way, which is the perfect angle for working corners. (90 degrees is much too sharp) Once swiveled, the forend is returned to it's "home" position with the gun pointing around the corner. Simply slide the gun around the corner and sight through the video view finder.

Once the corner is cleared, the shooter can then step around the corner and with one quick levering of the forend, the gun is once again facing forward, making the corner shot much like a small carbine.

With the gun in the straight position, the shooter can use the sights on the pistol, or if you prefer an optical solution there is a standard Weaver-type rail on the top of the device. With some practice, switching from a 62-degree pistol alignment to straight and back again, can be done in a fraction of a second so the shooter is never defenseless against a head-on threat. In all, the fully trained user can swivel his Corner Shot in about the same time it takes to cycle a pump action shotgun.

Construction Details

On the technology side, the Corner Shot is mostly of "Polymide" construction making it all but indestructible. The video unit has the ability to transmit wirelessly either several hundred meters away to a remote screen or to a clever backpack monitor that allows team members stacked behind the Corner Shot-armed person a view of what's around the corner. The device has a compact bipod somewhat similar to the ones found on the French FAMAS assault rifle and a folding stock identical to that of the Galil assault rifle.

The pistol mount has sufficient clearance for magazine changes and malfunction clearing. Currently the Corner Shot can accommodate standard and compact frame Glocks, SIGs, Berettas and full-size CZ-75 series pistols. Other pistol mounts are being worked out on a continuous basis. The full auto Glock G 18 and Beretta 93R has been successfully used as well.

Future versions will include mounts for paintball guns and Taser[R]. Some other features that are in the works are dual cameras. Camera one will be the standard camera as used on the current version. Camera two would employ a fisheye lens with a 170degree view. Switching between the two will be as easy as flipping a switch. Also in the future, the corner shot will be able to receive video signals from other corner shot units or other video sources.

Shooting The Corner Shot

Present for the demonstration were myself and several officers from the Little Rock, Ark. SWAT team. All of us got to do a little shooting and a lot of playing with the Corner Shot. At first the weapon seems awkward and unfamiliar. It is noticeably and perhaps expectedly muzzle heavy whether indexed straight forward or turned. My first thought was that a one or two pound weight on the butt stock would greatly enhance the handling qualities.

Learning the swivel action took some time for each of us, but that's to be expected. You quickly learn that less is more when it comes to the amount of force required to operate the swivel. Gentle, consistent motions make for lightning fast changes.

We all started off with some simple around-the-corner shooting at a man sized target from about 15 yards. Even without properly sighting in the system, everyone easily scored hits on the target. After that, we progressed to two shots on the target, clearing the corner and then progressing forward and changing the gun to a straight on position to engage another target. At first, the transition was unnatural, but with practice, we all did quite well.

Post Shooting Observations

After all was done, most were rather quiet about the system. You could just see the wheels turning behind the eyes of these officers. My thoughts were probably much the same as theirs:

"Need more practice before I would ever trust it."

"Who likes change?"

"I just don't know."

However, later thoughts were more like. "This really changes things in the CQB / urban combat realm." "Man, if I could practice some more with that thing, it could be awesome."

Negatives were very few. As mentioned before, it's quite muzzle heavy. Trigger pull can get a little heavy as well, running comfortably over 7 pounds for most handguns. The model I fired used standard lithium-ion batteries like the ones in my SureFire flashlight. Later models will use rechargeable battery, packs that quickly snap in and out of the Corner Shot.

I would like to see the ability to charge the batteries while in the gun from a standard 12-volt cigarette lighter in a car. That would allow a SWAT officer to keep his Corner Shot in the trunk of his patrol car. If deployed, he is assured of a fully charged battery pack. Other than these few, nit-picky things, there is little left to desire.

During the two and a half hour drive home I had a lot of time to think. I was thinking about the sniper conflict in Northern Ireland in the early '70s. To begin with, the IRA had the upper hand in that urban environment, picking off British soldiers at will. But when British snipers came in with superior weapons and training, the sniper campaign came to a quick halt. Simply put, the IRA learned that sniping was a quick way to get killed.

Tactics will have to be developed, and troops need training, but the ability to change some of the current world conflicts like the Brits did in Northern Ireland is there. Once the Corner Shot is employed by well-trained troops, the urban guerillas will, I think, quickly loose interest in that type of fighting.

Sorry guerillas, bad news is just around the corner.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Corner Shot

[3051 442-6322

www.cornershot.com

Mike Irwin
May 3, 2005, 11:25 PM
"The problem with the Krummerlauf was that it was only good for defending a fixed position. You couldn't really take it with you because the barrel was permanently bent."

Not exactly true.

The barrel was highly portable, and was easy to remove with a simple lever clamp system.

What did make it problematic was the way the recoil forces were directed on firing. It made it difficult to control, one of the reasons why it was most often (if only rarely) employed in armored vehicles.

Handy
May 4, 2005, 12:12 AM
I'm unsure why a pistol at the end of a ridiculous gantry would be better than a carbine with the same camera attached to it held at arms length.

The US is playing with such a system. The shooter wears a video eyepiece and can see where the gun is aimed.

LAK
May 4, 2005, 03:53 AM
"It's the gun that shoots around the corner!"

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149354&highlight=corner

Sturm
May 4, 2005, 05:53 AM
The Germans used the MP40 9mm SMG and the troops that tested it carried 2 barrels, original and extra crispy!

We also tried it with the M3 Grease Gun! :rolleyes: