PDA

View Full Version : Is the Leupold VARI - X III 6.5-20X40MM EFR Good?

Dob
May 3, 2005, 01:29 PM
I am looking for a scope for target .22 shooting 50m-100m is the Leupold VARI - X III 6.5-20X40MM EFR a good choice?

Jim Watson
May 3, 2005, 01:41 PM
I think it would be a very good choice, optically. I have a 4.5-14 VXII that Leupold furnished as a replacement for a bent 3.5-10 and it is a nice scope.

Be sure to check the rules of any competition you enter to be sure it is allowed.

Mike Irwin
May 3, 2005, 01:43 PM
I have an older 6.5x20 that I swap among rifles.

It's not a good scope.

It's a FREAKING GREAT SCOPE!

Yeah, I like it.

FirstFreedom
May 3, 2005, 03:15 PM
YES. That is a most excellent choice for a rimfire or better still, an airgun, of a very accurate persuasion, if you'll be shooting at shorter ranges, in addition to the ranges you indicated, because the EFR feature (AO) eliminates parallax at short ranges (10, 15, 20, 25 yards, etc). Having said that, *IF* you're truly going to shoot ONLY at 50 yards and beyond, then frankly NO, there's no need to pay the extra premium for the EFR that you have to pay, since most any scope which is designated as either "rimfire", "shotgun", or "muzzleloader" will be set to be parallax free at 50 yards, although sometimes at 75 yards. In that case, the amount of parallax error between 50 and 100 is very small, relative to the amount of parallax error from 5-45 yards, you see. But if we're talking about a precision target rifle, then heck yeah, it never hurts to completely eliminate parallax, so if you've got the US $650 that that scope runs (last time I checked), and your rifle is accurate enough to take advantage, then shoot yeah. But it really shines for close in shots on critters with .22 and airguns, maybe even crossbows. I don't think you could possibly be disappointed with that scope, and will find youself wishing you had 4 or 5 of them, to put on several other rifles. If you've got the dough, do it!

Mr. Irwin, since you are such an advanced expert on firearms, I am compelled to nit pick you on one of my pet peeves. As you know that is a 6.5-20x40mm, or just a 6.5-20, NOT a 6.5x20. The punctuation between the two extreme power ranges of a variable scope is a DASH, and is spoken as "To", whereas the punctuation between the fixed power and the size of the objective lens is an "X", and is pronounced "By". This is a fact. It's no biggie of course, but nevertheless is irritating when *knowledgeable* people do it. Have a nice day. :) Mike, is yours the EFR or non-EFR? And that is a nice scope to put on the .17hmr which you inevitably must buy. :)

cheygriz
May 3, 2005, 04:28 PM
Anything with the name "Leupold" on it is good.

FirstFreedom
May 3, 2005, 05:08 PM
cheygriz, although I generally agree, are you intending to specifically vouch for the "Rifleman" economy line of Leupolds as well, because I've heard some negative on them?

Drue
May 3, 2005, 05:34 PM
I have one on my smallbore, hunter, silhouette rifle. It works perfectly between 40 and 100M. The elevation and range focus are reliably repeatable and the optics are great. I have tried a couple of other scopes that would not focus down to 40M but the Leupold ERF can do it perfectly. As has been pointed out, it will go down to 10 for air rifle. Great scope.

Drue

Mike Irwin
May 3, 2005, 07:07 PM
HeyxFirst-Freedom,

xGet-xborexsighted!-

:)

I know my firearms. I don't know scopes. I've never had much of an "affinity" for them. Peep sights? Yeah, I like peep sights.

Mine is non EFR, probably going on 20 years old, now.

Currently it is resting on top of my Remington 722 in .300 Savage, which I haven't shot in close to 8 years.

It spent a lot of time on my .243 groundhog gun.

The one that's on that one right now is a Leupold 3 9 (x - insert whichever is appropriate)

FirstFreedom
May 3, 2005, 08:10 PM
Aaaaaaaaah! :p