PDA

View Full Version : sharp shooter supply vs. bell and carlson for new stock and a ? about muzzlebrake

sthrnfryedyankee
May 3, 2005, 07:41 AM
im in the market for a new stock,i just recently learned about sharpshooter supply and i was wondering if they had quality stocks im interested in the thumbhole sporter, would a stock like that be good for my 7mm rem mag? they specialize in savage models but i dont know if they compare to bell and carlson stocks if anyone has done business with them good or bad i would like to know

they also do muzzlebrakes.
on a magnum caliber like the 7mm rem mag is it recommended to have a muzzlebrake installed the recoil doesnt bother me but i feel it might be causing a slight accuracy problem and making me flinch thinking the scope is gonna hit my eye,also what are the advantages of having one put on

just out of curiosity would the mcmillan a-2 stock be overkill if used as a hunting rifle

DnPRK
May 3, 2005, 04:40 PM
I am familiar with SSS stocks because I have 3 of them. They feature an aluminum bedding block to cradle the action and keep the barrel free-floated. The shell is fiberglass and in between is a stiff syntactic foam, a resin filled with glass micro-balloons. I also have a laminated BVSS stock that works every bit as well as the SSS stocks.

I am not familiar with B&C's entire product line, but the Carbelite seemed kind of flimsy to me. The Duramax is supposed to be stiffer, but I don't know how it is made (maybe another glass-filled nylon like the Choate stock?) The Medalist by B&C appears to be similar to the SSS stocks in materials and construction.

I can't help with muzzle brakes because I don't like them much. To me, flinch can also be caused by the tremendous muzzle blast/report caused by a muzzle brake. I'd rather the propellant gas/noise go down range rather than back towards my face. To handle recoil, get a heavier rifle and shoot a lighter bullet.

sthrnfryedyankee
May 3, 2005, 05:40 PM
you highly recommend them do you think the thumbhole sporter is overkill for my 7mag did you have to do anything special to them and how is there finish smooth, rough, perfect
I want the thumbhole sporter with the better recoil lug in charcoal gray i think i would have much better control
do you find your stocks accurate would you buy more in the future

DnPRK
May 3, 2005, 09:11 PM
The SSS stocks I have were bought 3 years ago and are painted fiberglass with slight texture. They are not molded-in color with a gelcoat like some of the fancy McMillan stocks.

Lycanthrope
May 3, 2005, 10:25 PM
I have the Bell and Carlson Thumbhole Sporter with the aluminum reinforced recoil lug area with my 7STW. It has performed perfectly for nearly 5 years of hard hunting.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~jefwolfe/7STWSMALL.JPG

Shorthair
May 4, 2005, 08:59 AM
I figure since you mentioned it you're putting this on a Savage. Attached is a picture of my custom Savage 7 Mag. It has a Bell and Carlson stock, Douglas barrel, B&L Elite 3000 scope, etc. Stock came black, so paint job is a spray can special, inculding texture. Pillar bedded it with bronze bushings and JB Weld. Barrel is free floated.
Stock has held up through many seasons of hunting. Accurate from -0 F through +80 F, it regularly groups into .5", as can be seen by targets.
(Edited to add that the stock is an early pre-checkered Carbelite)

Zak Smith
May 4, 2005, 01:31 PM
Unless you are concerned about benchrest-level accuracy (in which case I am not sure), a muzzle brake will not hurt accuracy. Accuracy International ships muzzle brakes on their military sniper rifles. The winning team at least year's International Tactical Rifleman Championships used one on their precision rifle. They are standard in USPSA MOR shooting.

Muzzle brakes do increase blast and loudness of report, but they significantly reduce the recoil impulse and considerably increase the shooter's ability to spot his hits/misses.

Here's a picture of the AI brake on the end of my AWP:
http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AI-AWP/155_5541_img_s.jpg (http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AI-AWP/?large=155_5541_img_s.jpg)[ link to LARGER image ] (http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AI-AWP/?large=155_5541_img_s.jpg)