PDA

View Full Version : Stevens line from Savage

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 09:13 AM
Well, they're button rifled like the regular savage, which should deliver their legendary accuracy, and free-floated bbl, so what's not too like? Talk about a value....thank you Savage!

Only thing is, calibers are limited to .25-06, .270, .30-06, 7mm remmag, and .300 winmag, and no short action. No accu-trigger, but a lot of people think those are more hype than substance anyway and replace them with timneys or whatever...are the drop in replacements identical to the savages? If replacement stocks and triggers are available aftermarket, then I see no reason to buy a regular savage, or any other turnbolt rifle for that matter, as far as I'm concerned, in one of *those calibers* anyway.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm

Smokey Joe
May 2, 2005, 11:36 AM
Please forgive me for my cranial density, but I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking. Could I humbly request a restating of the question?

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 02:28 PM
Oops, sorry I didn't make clear.... This is not the usual 'have a question' thread. Rather, it is one of the less common 'I'm making a statement!' threads. Those are allowed, I believe. :) The statement is, Stephens rifles are the new value leaders, on the low end, it would seem - that's my prediction anyhow. The appropriate responses, if any, might include 'here, here!' or 'I beg to differ!' type responses. I.e. Post anything you know about the rifles, especially if you've gotten one, good, bad, or indifferent. Perhaps another way to put it is, this is a Joan Rivers thread - "Can We Talk?". :)

To further clarify, main point being, Savage's rifles typically have as good or better performance/accuracy than many more expensive brands, in large part due to their button-rifled barrels. Well if the Stephens's are also button rifled, I see no reason why they wouldn't offer the same performance, for even less price than the already-good-valued Savages. And if you're a utilitarian kind of dude like me, who values performance over looks, as well as being pretty squeaky tight, you get excited when something like this comes along from an American-owned, and American-made (I think) manufacturer.

Actually, there is one question in there...does anyone know if the aftermarket triggers available for the Savage 10, 11, 110, 111, will work in the new Stephens? If so, that further enhances their value to me.

Jseime
May 2, 2005, 09:48 PM
i believe that i saw on the website that they are offering a short action in all the usual short action calibers. i cant wait till left handed ones hit the shelves.

Tom Matiska
May 3, 2005, 03:42 AM
Yup. Just change the "200long" to "200short" and you have 5 more reasons to like Savage.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

FirstFreedom
May 3, 2005, 08:04 AM
Wow, excellent - I do believe their website changed just since yesterday to add the short action.

Davis
May 3, 2005, 08:27 AM
Well, what you get, which is really great, is a massive price drop on the traditional Savage 110. What is great is that the Accutrigger didn't raise prices of the 110. What Accutrigger did was drop the price, for all practical purposes, on the basic 110.

The Remington 710 at the same price of the Savage was already not a good deal. The Stevens, at LESS than the 710, there is no reason to waste time and money on the 710 when a superior rifle can be had for less. And, when money comes available, one can dress that Stevens up in any number of ways, from a nice stock to better trigger, to what ever. With that 710, that's it, a dead end that's more expensive.

Davis

Davis
May 3, 2005, 08:33 AM
The aftermarket triggers should still work. After all, the Stevens is so cheap, they can't have established new machinery for them. I imagine the Stevens is being produced to take advantage of machinery that would otherwise have been idle or needed retooling. Of course, one can take the standard Savage trigger and modify it to make it adjustable with a drill, tap, and set screw.

Davis

rbernie
May 3, 2005, 09:07 AM
So when do they hit the shelves?