PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24F-12?

Jelly
May 1, 2005, 04:47 PM
Quite simply, does this combination gun (12-Gauge/.30-30) work that well?

http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/specialty/24f.jpg

mtnboomer
May 2, 2005, 12:35 AM
They must, Savage/Stevens has be building them for many, many years!

Casp_A
May 2, 2005, 05:49 PM
I've checked them out at a couple of gunshops, they look pretty high quality. There's nothing that shouldn't work about them, it's a simple single-action firing mechanism sort of like on an NEF handi-rifle. The only thing unconventional about it is the moveable striking surface on the front of the hammer. It's mounted on a wheel pinned in the hammer with a tab on top to move it back and forth/up and down. Cock the hammer, push the tab forward, fire the shot barrel, recock, pull the tab back, fire the rifle barrel. The're cool, but I still haven't figured out what the're really usefull for...

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 08:11 PM
Ya know, I've never had a combo gun, but this last weekend when hunting turkeys with a shotgun, in an area with a lot of big pastures where I would occasionally see some turkeys across the way a couple hundred yards or more, I was really wishing that instead of 12 ga semi-auto, I had a single-shot combo gun like that, with a 12 ga on bottom, and a .17 hmr on top, for long-distance head shots; maybe a .22 hornet or .223 even. But I dunno what kind of practical accuracy I could get without a scope, and then the scope interferes with shooting the shotgun. But you'd definitely need a scope to distinguish a hen from a tom at long distance, if they're not strutting. So, there's got to be a better open fields turkey gun than just a shotgun only. Maybe a see through mount for a front bead for shotgun, with scope for the rifle barrel. No real need for quick follow ups on turkey, unlike waterfowl or upland game. Either you got your bird or you didn't with your first shot. They're running after a shot, and you won't be able to get a bead on that small target of their head if you miss, 99 times out of 100.

Lawyer Daggit
May 2, 2005, 08:18 PM
It should work well. If you reload experiment with 125 gr Ballistic tips.

I shoot a Contender Carbine .30-30 and the round loaded for a single shot and firing spitzers is a revellation.

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 08:27 PM
P.S. There's also the Baikal, now know as the Spartan line from Remington, which seems superior to the Savage combo, in that it has interchangeable choke tubes, rather than being stuck with the modified tube of the Savage:

http://www.spartangunworks.com/spr94_centerfire.htm

BUT, it doesn't have the range of choices of rifle calibers - no .30-30, no .17 hmr, no .22 hornet, just .223, .308, and .30-06.

BobR
May 2, 2005, 09:05 PM
Where I grew up, this type of gun is called a Turkey Gun. I have a 24V, which is a 30-30/20Gauge combo. I have used it for deer, turkey, and my always camping rifle. It is a heavy gun, no doubt about it. Mine has a wooden stock on it, which I am sure adds to the weight.

For a lot of people it fills a niche, and can come in handy with overlapping seasons.

bob