PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy another barrel for my Brazilian Mauser?

FirstFreedom
May 1, 2005, 01:26 PM
The barrel is shot out I think. It's super dark, and no matter how much I clean it, it stays dark; and, it's horribly, horribly inaccurate. I think it's done for. I want to keep it in orginal config. Who has a replacement barrel at a good price - this is one of the Mausers that was .30-'06 originally. And, how much gunsmithing it going to be required to install said barrel - what all is involved? This is a '98 style mauser. Thanks.

Dfariswheel
May 1, 2005, 01:45 PM
Probably the best source for a military type stepped barrel is going to be Gun Parts Corporation, or Springfield Sporters.

I know Gun Parts have original 30-06 military barrels with or without sights installed, BUT these are in "Good" condition, not new.

Installing a new barrel IS NOT just a case of screwing a threaded piece of pipe on the action.

EVERYTHING must be carefully fitted, and this takes a significant amount of money spent on tooling, and a good investment in time spent learning how to use it.

At the minimum, you need a special barrel vise, (NOT a standard bench vise), barrel vise inserts, a FITTED action wrench, chamber cutting tools, and a set of headspace gauges.
In MOST cases you will also need a lathe so that the barrel shoulder can be cut back to allow aligning the barrel's sights properly.

Due to the expense, and the high risk of ruining a good rifle if improper tooling or techniques are used, I recommend having a gunsmith do this for you.

If you don't have a local gunsmith who can do this, the E.R. Shaw company offers barreling work at a good price.

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 09:50 AM
OK, thanks. I'll ask my 2 gunsmiths if one of them is up to the task, and how much, and go from there. Otherwise, I'll send it to E.R. Shaw, or try to get my $150 I got it for, back at the next gunshow. But I'm probably too kind to pawn it off on someone else, given its condition (curse you, conscience!), so Shaw may be re-barreling this one. Someone shot the holy living crap out of this one - lol.