PDA

View Full Version : Lazzeroni Rifles

Who Dey
April 27, 2005, 06:22 PM
Any body know anything about these rifles. Not familiar with them. What calibers do they come in ? Might check one out if they are any good. Thanx

leadbutt
April 27, 2005, 09:10 PM
Check their web site,, very pricey, basicly custom built, uses his own ammo and the rounds are very fast and hot

Who Dey
April 29, 2005, 04:24 PM
Just as I thought. I think I'll stick with the Savage's. Sort of like comparing a Buick to a Cadillac. :)

keens
April 29, 2005, 05:17 PM
I like the Lazzaronis and the Dakota rifles are nice too if you are in to high end guns...Kimber makes a nice "Montana" rifle for just over $1000 that is really nice and accurate I am told.

Smokey Joe
April 29, 2005, 09:08 PM
Tony Lazzeroni seems to be carrying on the tradition of Roy Weatherby: Let's take a caliber, and see just how much powder we can possibly stuff behind the bullet for that caliber. Ours must be the hottest round available, bar none. And the Lazz's are, just as the Weatherby's were in their day, and mostly still are.

If you like really hot rounds, and pricey rifles, fine. I'll give 'em this: Lazzeroni's are reputed to be highly accurate (my personal criterion for whether a rifle is interesting--thanks, Col. Whelan).

But you can get accurate w/o that degree of priciness, and w/o that degree of recoil, and in a cartridge that is not proprietary, rather, generally available in stores.

Put the $$$ you save into a really nice 'scope, so that the rifle can deliver on its inherent accuracy.

Randy in Arizona
April 29, 2005, 11:17 PM
Smokey Joe,
Amen to what you said!
I'll stick to my old 03A3 SC in .300 Win Mag. :D

Ruger4570
April 30, 2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Randy in Arizona: I used to live in Tucson, sure miss it and am looking forward to getting back there. As far as Lazzeroni rifles go,, well they sure are pretty to look at, shoot a bullet at the speed of light (almost) very accurate and way more than I can afford. Kind of like David Millers guns. You are surrounded by some big names in guns there, Lazzeroni, Miller,Lawson and Stirling Davenport to name a few. Take care.
Who Dey: Hmmmmm. you sound like you are working with the same budget most of us worker bees have available.

Paul B.
May 1, 2005, 06:50 PM
Ruger45-70. I've seen Sterling Davenport's work first hand. For the money he charges, they are a real bargain. FWIW, after seeing one of his guns, I decided I wanted one. My wife said that's a bit much for a rifle. Well, one day, when she went to the range, Mr. Davenport was there sighting in a rifle that he'd just finished. (.416 Rigby as I recall.) She looked at the workmanship and said, you want one, go ahead. :D I've got the money saved up, have the action on hand, (Mauser of course.) and now, if I could make up my mind as to what I want it chambered to, I'd be OK. Choices are 7x57 mauser, 30-06, and .35 Whelen.
FWIW, Sterling davenport has a neat philosiphy. he feels every man should be able to own at least one fine rifle and his prices reflect that. Figure $3,000 versus the $15,000 plus from David Miller just for his starting rifle, a very plain piece of work. They're nice OK, but if I had $15,000 to spend on custom guns, Mr. Davenport would be hard at work for a while. Miller has, from what I've heard, a five year wait. Mr. Davenport told me three months on average.
Maybe I ought to sell off most of the run of the mill stuff I have and have a few more rifles made up.

Randy. Which range do you shoot at? Threepoints or the new one out by the fairgrounds?
Paul B.

Smokey Joe
May 1, 2005, 08:28 PM
Wheesh, Paul B--$3k is a little stiff for us working stiffs, for one rifle. But, you got the bread, you got the itch, you go for it!

Interesting that one of yr. choices is the grand old .35 Whelan. That's the one I'd second, except that I'd suggest considering the .35 Whelan Ackley Improved. This is one of THE most efficient cartridges there is, in terms of powder expended for velocity of bullet weight achieved.

Had I a choice of any cartridge for my next rifle it'd be .35 Whelan AI fer sure!

Matter of fact I was looking for that for my next rifle but couldn't find one anywhere, so settled for a .300WSM. A little smaller bullet, a little faster, a little less efficient. Mind you, I'm not unhappy with it. But.....

Ruger4570
May 2, 2005, 10:03 AM
PaulB: I used to do a lot of stock work and bought wood from Harry Lawson a lot. He was a real character, I mean that in a good way..He definatly had his ideas of what was right, and he was usually right. I had met/seen Stirling there on many occasions. You are also right, his work is first class and a lot more affordable than David Millers. Miller on the other hand told me he creates works of "functionable art" and that his rifles are. Drop dead perfect and gorgeous. Brian "Murphy" gun shop had one there at one time,, I think it was a cheapie.. $12,000.00 if I remember right. Too bad the envirmental wackos got Tucson Rod and Gun Club shut down I really liked it when it was available. Good luck

Randy in Arizona
May 2, 2005, 11:20 PM
Randy. Which range do you shoot at? Threepoints or the new one out by the fairgrounds?

Paul, I shoot in an arroyo east of my house in Vail, but the area is building up fast, so I must find a new area soon. I tried the old Titan Site off of the Old Sonoita Highway, but IIRC the county has put in a gate to keep folks out. Have you tried the fairgrounds range?

Randy

Yankee Doodle
May 3, 2005, 04:09 PM
Always wanted a Lazz. Never been able to afford one. Bought a Rem. 700 in 7mm Ultra Mag. Close enough for me. Not as pretty, but 140gr at 3400+fps into .5 groups is good enough for me. Saved a bunch of money as well. Drops speed goats like Thor's hammer.
Just my take, you may not agree.
Y.D.