PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever build a 10/22 brass catcher?

Cowled_Wolfe
April 24, 2005, 07:33 PM
Hey guys. I was stumbling around online and found a 10/22 brass catcher, but they wanted $30/shipping... That's like, a quarter of my yearly 'income', lol.

Anyone here ever build one from stuff laying around the house?

Wolfe.

fanoblack
April 24, 2005, 08:58 PM
Most brass catchers are for the sake of reloading, why in the world would you want to reload .22lr? Or is this some way of keeping things clean when you shoot?

Why not bend a couple of hangers and use a zip-lock baggy?

fanoblack

jonathon
April 24, 2005, 09:43 PM
If your shootin iron sights, use the dinky rail that came with 10/22 to mount a framed bag.

Tried it once, found it more of a nuisance than its worth. Besides, we'll never need gravel again with the ammount of .22 brass in our driveway.

Cowled_Wolfe
April 25, 2005, 12:40 AM
Lol, it's not for reloading.

Recently I was shooting up in a national forest, near our campsite... And alot of the time I'll be shooting in other areas where picking up brass is a pain, but neccesary... Hence, a brass catcher would be nice...

Come to think of it, not having to pick up other people's camping garbage would be nice also. :-\

Now... For this hangers/ziplock idea... *Blinks.* *Gets working.*

Death from Afar
April 25, 2005, 03:08 PM
Well done with picking up your brass. I always make an effort to pick up the empties- its just good manners in my opinion.

railroader
April 25, 2005, 08:50 PM
How about a rake? Mark

Edward429451
April 25, 2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know about a brass catcher but it'd be nice. I've been picking up 22 brass for awhile now, as much as I can stand to. One of these days I'll get that Corbin swage kit that reforms fired 22 brass into jacketed .224 slugs for reloading.

Thats how Speer got its start. Selling .224's made from reformed 22 brass.

Death from Afar
April 26, 2005, 02:29 AM
Me and a mate tried to make decent projectiles with that swager, but without much luck. They do not make hugely accurate bullets, but they are super explosive on impact. With a .223 they disintergrated rabbits. VERY impressive. With my VS we got about 4 MOA. Not nice. :barf:

Edward429451
April 26, 2005, 09:35 AM
Maybe a different load would've tightened them up? I did hear that they're super explosive, that being due to the fact that 22 jackets are thinner than commercial jackets. I had a guy who made some and sent me 10 that were made with 22 cases and 10 others that were made with the commercial (j4?) jackets. I loaded the ones with the commercial jackets and got real good accuracy with them. I got the target around here somewhere. I havent loaded the bullets made from 22 cases yet.

dewmonkey6
April 29, 2005, 04:29 PM
I have found that if you lay out one of those blue tarps where you are shooting picking up the brass is as hard as folding up the tarp. Just my .02 cents. :)

Cowled_Wolfe
May 1, 2005, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the site, Dewmonkey... :D

I hope you like it here... Don't let the natives scare you. ;)

Oh yeah... The tarp thing would be great, but when I tried it with an old blanket I soon discovered that an all-day shooting session tends to cover a large area.