PDA

View Full Version : Who is a Closet barrel Slob?

Wildalaska
April 23, 2005, 03:03 AM
Me Im coming out of the closet, not in that way ya filthy minded pervs, but rather, Im baring my chest and screaming...

My name is ken and Im a barrel slob...

Yes I have come to the conclusion that even my precious Eurotrash sniper rifles only need to be cleaned every hunderd rounds or so..I justify it by my fear of wearing out the bore via the rod, but in actuality...

Im freakin lazy! I hate cleaning barrels! My 338 hasnt seen a rod in 3 years (then again, I have only fired 20 rounds in 3 years out of it)...I havent cleaned my AR since the ban expired! The barrel of my highpower looks like their is chocolate in the bore...there are dust bunnies in my Seecamp, i HAVENT CLEANED MY mARLIN 39 SINCE I MOVED TO ALASKA 9 YEARS AGO!

OK, I clean my garand and broomie, but thats only becuase I use corrosive ammo...Im lazy, not stupid.....

Who else wants to confess.....come on...my name is....and IM A BARREL SLOB TOO

WildhasbeenonthesamebottleofhoppesforfiveyearsAlaska

IZinterrogator
April 23, 2005, 03:11 AM
Okay, I admit it. While I have cleaned all of my Sigs since the last time I went shooting a week and a half ago, my USP is in another case that I have not bothered to open yet. I have not cleaned my Beretta 96 either, which is my HD gun, except for taking a Q-tip to the feedramp to make sure that I didn't have any problems chambering rounds.

When I left for Iraq, I had shot over 1200 rounds out of my AR the week before and I didn't clean it before I left. My friend who was watching it took it shooting a little while after that and was not able to get the bolt to move in the bolt carrier freely because it was so gunked up with carbon.

My shotgun has gone months with little more than a Boresnake through it, even though it gets taken to the range on a regular basis.

I need help.

Pappy John
April 23, 2005, 05:28 AM
Nope, not me. I actually enjoy cleaning after a range session. Its kind of a Zen thing. Very relaxing.

;) And if you'll just send me all your dirty guns.......... :D they'll come back clean as a whistle.........after a thorough function test, of course. :D

P.S.
Send ammo too!

1BadF350
April 23, 2005, 05:50 AM
LOL, I'm with Pappy John!
BTW, Pappy maybe we should start a business, get our FFL and people can ship us their firearms for a "professional" cleaning. :D

Pappy John
April 23, 2005, 06:30 AM
:rolleyes: Hmmmmmmm....

You know that just could work! :D

BryanP
April 23, 2005, 07:42 AM
*raises hand*

Yeah, me too. I clean my guns about every 3rd range trip. I may pull a boresnake through a little more often than that.

fal308
April 23, 2005, 08:17 AM
I'm a barrel slob too. I think I cleaned some guns about a year and a half ago IIRC.

novus collectus
April 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
Guns have to be cleaned?? Now someone tells me.

I AM A BARREL SLOB!!!

I have two blackpowder pistols that I have not cleaned in 6 months. I just hope that the rust doesn't keep them from functioning. And besides I like the nice, crusty green patina on the brass.

My buddy didn't clean his Yugo SKS after firing 300 rounds out of it once. Next time he went to shoot it was a bolt action SKS. I did the same and had to get help from someone at the range to help me strip and fix it. Talk about being publicly embarassed because of being a gun slob.

N.H. Yankee
April 23, 2005, 08:46 AM
When it comes to guns I am the Felix Unger type of the odd couple, I neither enjoy nor dread the job but view it as part of the shooting experience. I do admit as I get older I tend to wait perhaps a day or so after the session but use no corrosive ammo. I usually run a patch down the bore with a hoppes solvent, run a dry patch then run a soaked patch of Kroil and let it sit for a day until I am in the frame of mind and physiacally up to a good cleanup session. If I am not using the gun for a long time (for me about 3 months) after final cleaning I run a wet patch of kroil in the bore and leave a large patch in the chamber and muzzle to both not let solvent get into the firing pin hole and remind me the bore is wet and to dry before shooting.

STEVE M
April 23, 2005, 09:06 AM
I guess I'm in between. I clean after every range session (may wait until the next day though). But I don't always do a spotless job of it. I don't spend the extra 30 minutes to get that last bit of dirt from every nook and cranny. I clean what has to be clean, coat the rest with a light coat of clp and call it a day.

novus collectus
April 23, 2005, 09:23 AM
I don't clean my gun because I want a good defense for shooting a burglar. My excuse would go like this:

"The first time I shot him was in self defense. The second and third time I shot him accidentally happened when I was cleaning my gun." ;) :D

Malamute
April 23, 2005, 10:22 AM
I'm a long time lazy gun cleaner. 8 years in Arizona, and 15 in Wyoming in this very dry climate has encouraged it. Some of my regular, daily carry guns (open carry in the hills) get dusted off every couple or more months, and actually cleaned maybe once or twice a year. Tho I think a couple have gone well over a year between cleanings. I don't, however, never look at them, just blindly trusting that will will work. I handle and dry fire the pistols regularly. If or when they act gummy or sluggish, they get oil, or actually cleaned. I've never had any malfuntions in my revolvers. Rifles get cleaned when or if they look like they need it. Yes, I do actually look at them once in awhile. The ones that get carried in the rain or snow get looked at more often.

Auto's are another story, but cleaning does not seem to be the issue, just my luck with auto's (I kept my auto's clean when I carried them, they just were not absolutely 100% reliable)

cheygriz
April 23, 2005, 10:32 PM
I am lazy. Very lazy.

But I clean a gun EVERY time I fire it. Even it it's only one round!!!!! No exceptions!!!!

My every day carry weapon gets THOROUGHLY cleaned every couple of weeks even on those rare occassions when I haven't fired it.

Guns in the safe get cleaned, inspected and lubed about every six months if they haven't been out of the safe.

I am very anal about cleaning guns. So anal that it overcomes my laziness. Fifteen years as a police firearms instructor will do that to you!

jonathon
April 23, 2005, 11:38 PM
The longest I let a gun sit without cleaning(after being shot.. even if I only shoot it once or twice IT GETS CLEAN) was the day I got my Henry, I forgot to get a new cleaning rod(mine was broke at the time), so I let it sit for 3 days after shooting 30 or so rounds through it.

As of now, you could almost see your reflection in the bores of all of my guns :D And my dad's to.. only 'cause I get stuck with cleaning after a range trip :mad:

BusGunner007
April 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
I have never been afflicted with the malady of having to clean a gun every time I used it.

"Keep coming back; it works!" ;)

beenthere
April 24, 2005, 09:43 AM
When I stop to think about it with honestly, that may be one reason I've become so attached to the NEF Handi-Rifles. Yes, every one I've shot or bought has been very accurate and they are a dream to carry, but the break open style rifle is utter simplicity to clean. Brush, Swab, oil and you're done. Once a year you open it up and check the innards.

I confess to being just a shooter. I don't fondle and admire them or hug them at bedtime but I sure want them to go bang when I pull the trigger. It helps that being a single shot I don't tend to BURN ammo anymore either and that reduces cleaning. Pays off in cheaper shooting and concentration on where this One bullet is going.

spacemanspiff
April 25, 2005, 12:34 PM
i'm not sure if its indicative of every barrel slob, but wildalaska is a slob in other ways, far slobbier than anything i've ever seen.

he wears the same clothes 4 days in a row. SWMBO complains because he only does 'sponge baths'. the only time he does get into the shower is after he has shot the garand and it takes a shower with him. apparently WA has found out the hard way that butchs bore shine is NOT a healthy alternative to soap or shampoo.

but ya just gotta love the cantankerous foul guy. at least on days like yesterday. his shooting was making me proud of my 5-8 moa groups. its bad when out of a five shot group, you hear 'flyer', 'doh!', and 'sonofa...' grumbled by the shooter.
:D

Wildalaska
April 25, 2005, 03:35 PM
Dud e I bathe for everyone but you...Sundays is the unwashed day...and you are a part of Sunday..

PS gang...altho groups were bad, I did manage one .934 out of the 308 and a similar 6.5x55, together with 2 inches at 100 yards with the Grail...with the Grails miniscule 1901 sights none the less...spiffy cant even shoot 2moa with a scope

WildstinkyAlaska

dfaugh
April 25, 2005, 04:10 PM
I clean 'em when I get around to it...which could be anywhere from hours to weeks after I shoot 'em. My best shooting buddy on the other hand, cleans them regularly, even when they haven't been shot. Since he owns 100+ guns, it's pretty much a full time job!

DunRanull
April 25, 2005, 11:21 PM
The cleaning Im anal about is stuff like my Lugers and so forth- a pitted bore kicks the collectable value really really hard. When I carried a pistol every day as part of my job I kept it clean, lightly lubed and INSPECTED. But then they were payin me to do that, heh.
Most of my milsurps shoot vast quantities of corrosive ammo which require at least swabbing and oiling of the bore and gas system (if any) to hold them over a day or two for fuller attention. The WORST nasty corrosive I have shot is the 8mm Turk surp. Nasty stuff and will eat the bore if not cleaned meticulously and several times. But really really cheap!
My so-called hunting rifles are rarely used anymore, they are lucky to see a cleaning once a year (Dry climate, stored well-oiled and greased).
Bore chroming is God's gift to shooters. They say it degrades accuracy a bit, but not so's you'd notice, in my opinion. Never cared much for stainless guns, but I find myself wishing Mauser had used stainless steel barrels years ago, heh.
Bottom line- I don't really care for cleaning guns that much, but do it in order to preserve my lovely guns...
:::Fondler, hugger, admirer- aye, lover- of good steel things that bark and bite::::
Wish there was a cologne that smelled of warm steel...

novus collectus
April 26, 2005, 06:01 AM
The cleaning Im anal about is stuff like my Lugers and so forth
If I had a few lugers I would never be a barrel slob again. I would take the oath to be vigilant in my cleaning duties, promise not to be remiss in my chores and pledge to be ardent with the task at hand. :)

Then again I have a 1903 Springfield (Rock Island arsenal) made in 1911 that I never wait to clean.

FirstFreedom
April 26, 2005, 08:33 AM
hee, like someone said, guns need to be cleaned? Bah, I don't worry about it unless it's a muzzleloader, or I've been out hunting with it and dirt is all in the action. I clean every now and then when I get the chance...sometimes a particular gun will sit for a year or so between cleanings - that's one of the wonders of smokeless powder. 'Specially with rimfires...I'm under this belief, whether mistaken or not, that rimfires need to be a little dirty to 'settle in' for max. accuracy.

bean357
April 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
As mentioned by FirstFreedom, the muzzleloader usually got the best attention...I suppose I could have been considered a barrel slob until recently my hubby and I installed a workbench and shelving/pegboard area for gun maintenance and a reloading setup in the spare bedroom. Having a spot with everything handy made all the difference. No room for overnight guests, but no more barrel slob either! :)

steelersfan0000
April 26, 2005, 05:29 PM
Not for me i clean my guns after every use even if i just shoot a few rounds. i have done it so many times i bet i could do it blind folded ;)

Ramcharger
April 26, 2005, 07:15 PM
So the EMPTY spider egg sack in the barrel of my 870 is a bad thing right? :cool:

Mannlicher
April 27, 2005, 06:23 AM
Maybe I am "A" Retentive about it, but I clean my barrels after each session at the range. Probably not necessary, but I do it.

Billy Sparks
April 27, 2005, 06:41 AM
With my pistols I am not a slob....rifles and shotguns is another story. Maybe it is because I don't shot the rifles that much so when a chance to fire rifles comes up I load 3-5 in the truck and shot them. Then because I don't shot them a lot I have to get the book out to field strip them. Then they are bigger and more unweldly at the kitchen table to clean. Then....got to think of more excuses.

Now showering my body I do it every day at least once. I even shave every day of the week at least once a day.