PDA

View Full Version : 25mm Chain gun

us.armysniper
April 22, 2005, 12:50 AM
What is the biggest caliber weaponsystem you have ever fired? I was hangin out with some 3rd ID dudes and they were shooting gunnery Tables 7-12 and they let me get m2a2 bradley gunners seat and fire off some 25mm he and AP oh and it aws most definetly awesome. It fires on single shot, low and high, which are basically just different speeds that the chain gun cycles. I wish everyone could have that experience. and the funny thing is that Bushmaster makes the 25 mm for the m2a2 bradleys and the bolt and assembly take apart much like an m-16 just much bigger. It was awesome!

And once again forgive the bad spelling as i said before there are people on here who think I am not a solider because I have bad spelling. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to die for your country!

max popenker
April 22, 2005, 03:39 AM
the "Bushmaster" /Chaingun is not related in any way to Quality Parts ? Bushmaster arms company.

Original Chain guns were developed by Hughes Aircraft, then bought and carried on by Mcdonnel Douglas; IIRC modern 'Bushmaster' series of cannons are by McDD.
see: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/m242.htm

Adam Firestone
April 22, 2005, 05:47 AM
Largest caliber weapon system I ever fired was a 155mm howitzer - M109A4 I want to say. . . .

Largest caliber weapon system I fired with regularity was the M256 120mm cannon.

Which makes it all the more amusing that the three weapon systems I fire the most now are a 5.56mm AK variant (the Krebs KTR-03V), a 7.62x51mm FAL, and a 5.56mm M4-gery.

Jim Watson
April 22, 2005, 09:56 AM
Does a 20 pounder Parrott rifle count?
The best part is that you can have one of your own.

Mike Irwin
April 22, 2005, 11:02 AM
12 pounder Napoleon, blank charge only.

Davis
April 22, 2005, 03:54 PM
12 gauge. But, my great uncle got to fire the 16 inch gun (one of three in turret, of course) on the USS Alabama.

Davis

utaherrn
April 22, 2005, 04:04 PM
potato gun :D

IZinterrogator
April 22, 2005, 05:12 PM
Largest weapon system that required a driver: M256 120mm on an M1A1 Abrams.

Largest handheld weapon system: M82A1 Barrett .50 cal rifle.

Never pulled the lanyard on the Paladin, but did call in a strike from the FIST-V once.

STEVE M
April 22, 2005, 06:22 PM
105mm main gun on a m60a2 tank. Even though the gun is moved mechanically you still had to be able to hold steady to hit your target. The trigger was on the grips used to move the gun. If you jerked the trigger it was easy to move the gun off target. Any way, it was fun plinking at old trucks and such. Just thought of them as big tin cans!

Marko Kloos
April 22, 2005, 07:21 PM
The biggest gun on which I personally got to pull the trigger was the 20mm AA cannon on which I was certified at some point in my German Army days.

Davis
April 24, 2005, 08:18 AM
Oooo, what was I thinking.

4 inch PVC potato gun, electrically fired, primed with White Rain hairspray (ether doesn't work and propane works, well, too good, cracking our first production model).

It's a smooth bore and range is pretty short, say 100 yards, and white rain does causing some fouling on the electrodes, but, it is bigger than my 870.

Davis

BillCA
April 24, 2005, 12:19 PM
I used several people I know as references...

Dad: (USAAC) Boeing B-17 with 17,500 lbs of ordinance (Italy, WW-II, Bombardier)

Ex-Boss: (USAF) McDonald-Douglas F4-G Phantom II, Shrike/HARM Missles. (Pilot)

Coworker1: (USN) Harpoon anti-ship missle

Coworker2: (USA) - 152mm Shillelagh; Mounted on an M60 Tank

Family Friend1: (USAF) Minuteman II ICBM (dummy payload), Wyoming, circa 1974

Family Friend2: (USN) - 5 inch deck gun on a Destroyer (Korea)

Me: An antique Howdah pistol - about 8 gauge! :eek: (comments: Ow!)
Hmm... in light of the above list, somehow that Howdah seems so .... so inadequate.

Wildalaska
April 24, 2005, 12:36 PM
I once touched the Enola Gay, does that count?

WildmineisbiggerthanyoursAlaska

Magnum88C
April 24, 2005, 03:13 PM
Brass cannon, fired a 16-lb bowling ball 400 yards through a washing machine.

support_six
April 24, 2005, 03:59 PM
Largest weapon with my face less than two feet from both the muzzle and breech -- M67 90mm Recoilless Rifle.

Oh, I've fired 105mm Howitzers, the 105mm main tank gun on the M60A3, and the 106mm recoilless rifle but you are feet, not inches away from the muzzle when that overpressure turns your head to jelly! I've also fired live M72 Light Antitank Weapons (LAW) but that 90mm was the most impressive -- laying prone on the ground firing a weapon with a round larger than most WWII tanks had! ...and with your face only 18 inches from the muzzle! That's a "once in a lifetime" opportunity (read: I never want to do that again!) ...and yes, I hit the target (truck hulk at 400 yards).

Andrew LB
April 24, 2005, 05:32 PM
Civil War Cannon while visiting a family friend in Gettysburg, PA who is a civil war historian and painter. He had a wide assortment of 100% original civil war weapons from handguns to artillery pieces. We fired the cannon (artillery) across one of his fields on his property. It was a blast.... literally. :eek:

oneeyeross
April 24, 2005, 10:33 PM
Largest crew served that I touched off was the 152mm gun tube on a M60A2. I didn't like the change over from the A1 to the A2. The A1 had that nifty 105 that you could get two rounds down range, target/target sensing inside of 15 seconds, easy.

Now, the A2 had that silly electric breach. In a direct fire combat vehicle. You know, THAT is almost the silliest thing I ever saw....

Hand held, shoulder fired...hmm...that'd have to be the LAW rocket. Don't know if the new kids on the block still have those..

Stiletto
April 25, 2005, 02:03 AM
They have AT4s and Javelins instead. :)

Personally, biggest gun I've fired is a USP45. I'm a 19-year-old college student. :rolleyes:

gburner
April 25, 2005, 09:49 AM
Civil War Coehorn trench mortar. We used to fire a round about a hundred yards downrange at an old pine tree, trying to hit it square in the trunk. We got pretty good. I love the sound...'Fire'...BOOMringgggg.