PDA

View Full Version : The Definative Wolf Ammo Thread

jailbait
April 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
Okay, so i used the search feature and got entirely to many hits to go through. So i thought i would start a thread that would pretty much sum up any questions future users might have. that said:

What is everyone's opinion on Wolf ammo. Be it 9mm, 7.62x39, .223... whatever. My main focus is the 7.62x39

midwayUSA has 1000 rounds for like $89.00.

CaptainRazor
April 17, 2005, 10:32 PM
I have found that the Golden Tiger 7.62x39 ammo is cleaner and more accurate than the Wolf for my SKS.

The last Wolf I shot was 9x18 Mak. It was dirty, but seemed to function well.

Accuracy was marginal, but it's plinking ammo, not match grade stuff.

novus collectus
April 17, 2005, 10:43 PM
I had reservations with the steel case, but my SKS loved it. I can't recall a FTF after 1000 rounds.

38splfan
April 17, 2005, 11:49 PM
I have used approximately 1000 rounds of Wolf ammo over the past few months. I have had no problems with it. Accuracy is acceptable for as badly as I shoot anyway. Besides, it is the only thing cheap enough for me to shoot continuously without the wife complaining about money. Signed :The Wife :p

Andrew LB
April 18, 2005, 12:11 AM
I wont put Wolf or Blazer in any of my firearms. Dirty, inaccurate, and i don't like the steel case.

jefnvk
April 18, 2005, 12:12 AM
People tell me not to use it, that it is inaccurate, that it is dirty, that steel cases are bad.

But feeding my SKS for a fifth of the price of any other brand, and my .45 cheaper when I run across good deals, and as soon as the AR is up snd running, again on the order of tens of dollars, outweighs minor annoyances. I am by no means an accurate target shooter. I don't mind cleaning guns. What I am is a poor college student who enjoys gettting much more trigger time. Who cares it I get a half inch better at 100 yards, when I am not even to top shooting shape? I can't honestly do better with match ammo yet, why spend a lot more to shoot?

MAUSER88
April 18, 2005, 01:55 PM
I only buy the 7.62 x 39mm for my AK and SKS. It works fine for me.

jonathon
April 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
Works for me, just avoid the laquer cases :p

Note: Who cares if its a bit dirty? You clean your guns right?

stevelyn
April 18, 2005, 03:06 PM
My BHP has never gagged on it once. It burns a bit dirty, but that's why they make MPro-7.
Now that I have my C&R, I suspect I'll be shooting a lot more Wolf. :D

steelersfan0000
April 18, 2005, 04:06 PM
i have used probably 500 rd.s of the stuff in my AK and i dont think my gun has jammed on it once. It does shoot dirty though if you have heard that before it is true. All you have to do is clean your gun real good after you shoot it.

OBIWAN
April 18, 2005, 04:13 PM
E. It may be ok but why risk it

MTMilitiaman
April 18, 2005, 04:21 PM
In Russian and Sovet Com-Block weapons like the SKS and AK-clones I use Wolf almost exclussively for plinking. It has been cheap and reliable in these weapons in my experience. My brother and I ran about 3 cases through our SKSs and have ran about 500 rounds through our Romanian AKs with only two problems, both of which were easily cleared. In one case a bullet was pushed back into the case upon chambering and in another the bullet tore sideways through the case neck. Both times the rifle, a 1954 Russian SKS, jammed. The action was cycled, the malfunctioned round cleared and firing was commenced without incident. There may be better 7.62x39 on the market for more serious occassions, but for general plinking, IME, there is none better for the price.
Wolf used to lacquer their ammunition pretty heavily. Over the course of several hundred rounds through a single setting with our SKSs, my brother and I would note a red gummy residue building up along the bottom corners of the receiver around the take-down latch for the receiver cover. However, this could be cleaned fairly easily with any sort of small pick (we used a dental pick my brother mooched off his dentist) and we never experienced any failures to feed or extract due to the lacquer, even shooting 400 rounds quickly in a single setting through each of our rifles.
I have very limited experience using Wolf ammo in 5.56mm in a Ruger Mini-14 and it seemed to do okay but I never made a habit of it since my dad reloads for the .223. I have no experience using Wolf ammunition in pistols.

Dadx4
April 18, 2005, 04:38 PM
Plenty accurate for target plinking, but dirty as all get-out. Takes easily twice as long to clean my .380 or .45 after using it as anything else I have shot, but I have never had any feeding/ejecting problems. I have probably shot around 4-500 rounds.

FirstFreedom
April 18, 2005, 04:48 PM
be it 9mm, 7.62x39, .223... whatever.

Since that includes .22lr, and since Wolf .22lr match ammo is superb, that raises the average Wolf grade from fair up to average, maybe a little better. I heard steel cases are hard on a gun's chamber, however, after 10 to the umpteenth power number of rounds.

carolinaflats
April 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
Wolf gummed up my AR so bad every other ammo I used after jammed until the gun was thoroughly cleaned. I won't touch the stuff. :barf:

jefnvk
April 18, 2005, 04:56 PM
It may be ok but why risk it

Simple. I get a lot more trigger time for the same price. It is great for people like me, who don't have a lot of ammo money lying around, but still like to shoot. And when you take new people out, I don't want to spend $12 for a box of ammo for them to shoot.

shaggy
April 18, 2005, 05:05 PM
I've run thousands upon thousands of rounds of Wolf, in both full and semi auto, through m16's in both 5.56 and 9mm, M11's, and Uzis with zero ammo related problems. I've also run a couple cases through semi-auto AKs, also without any problems. Its not the most accurate stuff out there, but it works fine for cheap plinking ammo.

9mmsnoopy
April 18, 2005, 06:31 PM
i didnt vote in your poll because i cant rate something ive never used(unlike alot of posters), but having said that, i would never shoot any wolf in my guns,just based on what ive heard about them. why skimp to save a couple of bucks on ammo to use in a quality(and expensive) firearm? i use only American made ammo, winchester,remington,or federal. (kinda ironic i suppose since most of my guns were foriegn made)

Moe Mentum
April 18, 2005, 06:51 PM
Used it for years, never a problem, It comes with a money back guarantee, I don't know anybody that ever sent it back.

Drue
April 18, 2005, 07:39 PM
I shoot Wolf 7.62x39 in AKs and SKS' all the time. It is cheap and works all the time. These guns were designed for steel cased ammo anyway. It may be dirty, but these rifles will run just fine when dirty. I have shot a fair amount of Wolf .22 ammo. The .22 stuff is really SK Jagd manufactured in Germany and it works well. I have also fired some Wolf 9Mak and 5.45 ammo and it works perfectly. I have never used any Wolf .223 but I know a few guys who shoot it in rack grade AR-15s for plinking and it works fine. No one that I know will use in in a higher end match rifle though. For practice and plinking it works fine and is dirt cheap.

Drue

ccwolff
April 24, 2005, 12:17 AM
It is very bad ammo YOU should not use it if you have some right now stop and send it to me and I will despose of it. :D

I have gone through a few thousand rounds of 7.62x39 and about 500 of their 12gage slugs out of my mossberg 590.

Afew ftf too few for me to remember on the 7.62 and a fair ammount of red build up.
No problems out of the 12gage and no red bildup either.
I would use it in my glock but they don't make it in 10mm.

Clean your guns after your done and you'll be fine.
Whats the point of keeping your gun as clean as possible while your training with it.Bottom line you can afford more rounds so you can practice more and thats really what its all about right? :confused:

jonathon
April 24, 2005, 12:55 AM
Wolf gummed up my AR so bad every other ammo I used after jammed until the gun was thoroughly cleaned. I won't touch the stuff.

And that is why you CLEAN your guns :rolleyes:

Like I said earlier, I use it in my SKS, and it loves it. Dirty, but at the same time, got to factor in these rifles were made to eat the cheapest garbage there was and still ask for seconds. I don't know if I would use Wolf in any other gun other than my SKS, mainly since the price difference is mediocre compared to say WWB or Remington .22LR plinker packs at Wally World or Bi-Mart.

gxi.llc
April 24, 2005, 01:50 AM
So it seems the concensus is: it depends on what you're shooting it with. Would I use it in a mil surp? Sure. Would I feed it to an expensive pistol or match rifle? No. Clean your guns, have fun.

Lycanthrope
April 24, 2005, 12:33 PM
Wolf rimfire ammo is some of the BEST ammo out there and rivals some of the better match ammunitions.

I've used the steel case stuff in my Kimber .45 without problem, but since I reload I prefer brass casings.

VirgilCaine
April 24, 2005, 01:05 PM
Ditto on the wolf rimfire. the match extra is awsome.

Magnum88C
April 24, 2005, 03:09 PM
I voted average.

It's perfectly good and reliable commie ammo in my perfectly reliable commie guns. however, it gets bumped down to "average" because it's not that accurate. The Barnaul and the varios "Bear" ammo is much more accurate and just as reliable, but harder to find.

Vitamin G
April 24, 2005, 04:03 PM
I use it almost exclusively in my SAR-1, never a problem.
Used it once or twice in my AR-15, but found that WWB is a little more, but makes me feel ALOT better.

Pistols, nope. Mental block against it. Friends use it, and it works fine.

dfaugh
April 24, 2005, 05:22 PM
and the 7.62 was the laquered stuff, 'cause I bought it some time ago. NEVER had a malfunction (but I did have a a couple stovepipes with Barnaul). It is "dirty" and innacurate, but hard to beat for cheap plinking ammo.