PDA

View Full Version : 257 Weatherby Mag - thoughts/advice

DR_MAX
April 13, 2005, 06:02 PM
I have a wild hair to get a 257 Weatherby magnum. The most economcal way seems to be the Vangard Sporter (I like wood). I don't hunt much - well not any more. But I like stuff that has a lot of capability, and is fun to shoot. I would appreciate any opinions, thoughts, comments, etc. to guide my efforts
(or redirect them if it's a bad idea).

Jseime
April 13, 2005, 06:47 PM
if you can afford it giver nuts. ive heard great things about all of the weatherby line.

Death from Afar
April 13, 2005, 08:45 PM
It is a good caliber- but what would put me off is it always hard to get the procey weatherby brand ammo. I dont think anyone else loads for the .257? I honestly think a 7mm remington mag would be a better choice...

cheygriz
April 13, 2005, 10:58 PM
The .257 is a terrific long range cartidge. But unless you're wealthy, you need to reload for it, and you will probably need to replace your barrel about every 1,000 rounds. (Or maybe a little less.)

Death from Afar
April 14, 2005, 01:52 AM
I shot a few chamois a few years ago with a borrowed .264 Win Mag which is ballistically quite similier. They too were "barrel burners" and the ammo was very pricey..$4 a round! Ouch.

DR_MAX
April 14, 2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys. A lot of these things are what I have been hearing, but I have more confidence in the opinions on this forum than most other sources. I have to agree that the 7mm mag is hard to beat. I already have one in that caliber, an older Browning BBR, that shoots really well. I guess part of it is I don't have anything by Weatherby, and I figure, if the rifle is going to be a Weatherby ... well you know. Also, I don't have anything in 25 cal genre. Of course, there isn't a lot in 25 cal, and if I was really going to do a lot of shooting, I'd probably get a 25-06. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Samuel_Hoggson
April 15, 2005, 07:09 PM
A friend had a stainless WBY in this caliber. 26" barrel, kinda heavy. It was not so accurate, would do about 1 to 1.25 MOA was all. He tried many loads and .257 heads. He eventually sold it. On the plus side.....it was really fast.

Sam

GON2FAR
May 6, 2005, 11:38 PM
I loaded some 257 ammo for a friend a few years back. Part way through the season he let me borrow the gun, very impressive cartridge on deer. Exceptionally flat shooting as well.

Sturm
May 7, 2005, 01:43 AM
This is a very special crtridge, so what the hell Doc, why not make it that special one! I would say .270 Weatherby, but the WSM's will do the same work and there is no contender to the .257! ;)

"I coulda been sumbody, I coulda been a contenda!"
(Marlon Brando)

zeke
May 7, 2005, 06:55 AM
Have an older (Japanese made) WBY 257 Mark V (whatever the designation, has 9 lug bolt) mag with 26 in mid-weight sporter barrel. Free floated the barrel to keep POI from shifting after 3 shots (load developement). Been using it for deer hunting past seven years, from a stand. Most of deer got is in 200-250 yard range) Rifle Is capable of .5 in groups with loads it likes, very mild recoil, flat shooting and very effective on deer.

It is also very heavy, cumbersome, brass is expensive and uses alot of powder for a 200-300 fps gain over the 25-06. Accuracy drops significantly after 20 full bore rounds, and cleaning the barrel is a chore (copper build up, which makes the accuracy drop off)

If had to do over again, would probably get a lighter and shorter 25-06 for greater versatality (different hunting scenarios). Wouldn't really advise getting a 257 WBY, just cause they are fun to shoot (which they are). Any prolonged rapid shooting sessions with loads faster than then the 25-06 will probably significantly decrease barrel life.

DR_MAX
May 12, 2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks again guys for all the valuable info. I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in the deluxe sporter version, 257 WM today. Like I said, it's more for the collection than any practical considerations. I will more than likely get some type of 25-06 later on - especially if I'm going to do much 25 cal shooting. The Weatherby will probably be used to blow up gal jugs at prodigious ranges
and/or the occasional prarie dog, but, who knows. I read somewhere that the 257 was Roy Weatherby's personal favorite. Looking forward to seeing if I agree. Will let you know.

Booner
June 23, 2005, 02:16 AM
Last year I got Mark V SBGM as birthday gift from my wife in the 257 WM. I must say it is hell on wheels. Broke the barrel in like what was suggested in the Barnes reloading manual. It is accurate and in the 3700+ fps range with a Barnes XLC 100 grain. Do the game you hunt a favor and use a bullet that will not break up on impact. Just to shoot, I use a very light "slow" load to make sure I have a barrel some years down the road. IF what they say is true about a barrel not lasting long oh well. You only live once.

Hello123
June 23, 2005, 06:48 AM
It is going to take you a while to put $1000 rounds through it. Then, it will have earned itself a new barrel, which would be a fun upgrade.

gak
June 23, 2005, 07:56 AM
Here's what Chuck Hawks has to say about the .257 Wby:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/chucks_rifle_cartridges.htm
If this doesn't take, go to his site and under the "free" (left) side of his menu/index go to "Favorite Rifle Cartridges."
Given his positive comments, he may also have more to say about it elsewhere on his site.

Fremmer
June 23, 2005, 08:51 AM
Two years ago, I hunted with a friend who used the .257 Weath mag. The gun was indeed heavy. He used hollowpoint rounds.

He shot a doe at about 150 yards. On impact, the doe didn't just drop -- she flopped.

When the doe was gutted, my friend had to literally scoop a mush of innards out of the body cavity. The internal damage was impressive (and messy!). As I recall, four ribs were broken on one side of the doe.

It is an impressive round. Have fun with it!

PSE
June 24, 2005, 10:57 AM
i have taken a good number of whitetail w/ a MKV deluxe in 257. while it is probably the most ineffician round it drops them like nothing else. i have had everyone shot fall onto thier feet like God plucked thier life from them.