PDA

View Full Version : deal on a mak 90

overlordofwar
April 13, 2005, 04:21 PM
i recently saw a chinese mak 90 for sale at a local gunshop. i didn't look at it very close but did take time to notice it has a thumbhole stock, which according to a friend of mine means it's a post ban weapon. the price was marked at $350 for cash or $399 with trade. would that be a good deal? and if it is a good deal would something like that be around for very long in salina KS? any input would be helpful.

shaggy
April 13, 2005, 05:35 PM
$350 isn't a bad price for a new or very good condition MAK90. Lately I've seen them as low as $325 and as high as $400.

impact
April 13, 2005, 08:38 PM
I picked up mine for $300 used with plastic stock and 2 30 round mags. The stock I have looks like the wood stock but plastic.

ksstargazer
April 14, 2005, 08:42 PM
I live in Marion County, about 60 southeast of Salina and have a MAK90. For $350, I might just part with it. I bought it in 1994 and was told that it was a preban because of its threaded muzzle and other features. I do know that it shoots pretty good as I have put a few hundred rounds through it. I would include two, thirty round mags and an extra buttstock that I bought, intending to do some experimenting with the butt stock. I consider the rifle to be in excellent shape. I am thinking of attending the Council Grove gunshow on Saturday morning - could meet you there. Or, if you want to shoot it first, you could come to my home and test it out - I live in the country. My email is [email protected]

jtb1967
April 14, 2005, 10:04 PM
I remember ordering them for $169.99 not too many years ago. It's amazing what the "assult weapons" ban did to the prices.

overlordofwar
April 15, 2005, 01:12 AM
ksstargazer, I've been told that the easiest way to see if it's pre or post-ban is whether it has a pistol style grip or a thumbhole stock. I would definently be interested in taking a look at it sometime. I'll send you an e-mail later tonight. Thanks.

Powderman
April 15, 2005, 02:28 AM
Milled receivers also command a premium over the stamped ones.

Tamara
April 16, 2005, 07:46 AM
ksstargazer, I've been told that the easiest way to see if it's pre or post-ban is whether it has a pistol style grip or a thumbhole stock.

All MAK-90s were shipped with thumbhole stocks, as all were post-'89 imports, and folks hadn't yet savvied to the parts count dodge back in those olden times.

Sodbuster
April 16, 2005, 07:52 AM
All MAK-90s are post ban. The name implies this. They are Modied AKs to comply with the ban imposed in 1989; therefore, starting in 1990 they were modified. They all have thumbhole stocks. If they don't, they are modified modified AKs and may have been illegal, or not, depending on parts count. With the sunset last year of the AWB any stock is now legal.

Tamara
April 16, 2005, 08:35 AM
With the sunset last year of the AWB any stock is now legal.

Well, there's still the parts count issue. Remember: While domestic-made guns are now hunky-dory, foreign-made ones are still evil and dangerous. :o

Sodbuster
April 16, 2005, 11:45 PM
A subtle, but correct and important point, Tam. And not only are Norincos evil and dangerous; they cannot be imported anymore. Oh well, there are other fish in the sea. :)