PDA

View Full Version : 100 yds group size, WASR10 AK 7.62X39

HankC1
April 13, 2005, 11:38 AM
Interested in 7.62 WASR10 AK, I know it is not known for accuracy, but I don't want a shot gun pattern as well. Wonder what is it capable of at 50 yds or 100 yds, standard sight and/or scope. Thanks.

k_dawg
April 13, 2005, 12:38 PM
I shoot at a 4" metal target @ 100yards with my Saiga with Tacpoint reddot scope all day. Nothing is so fun as going "Blam! PING!.. BLAM! PING!" with semi rapid fire :-)

of course, that pisses off some of the trigger pullers at the range, who fire once a minute or so...

steelersfan0000
April 13, 2005, 02:15 PM
I have a WASR-10 my self and I can get about 5 to 6 inch patterns at 100 yards. The accuracy is not as bad a alot of people say. But when i got my gun from the gun store the front sight was high and it made it shoot about 2 inches high. So i would invest in a front sight tool. You can get them for about ten bucks. Then you can adjust it to what you like.

G56
April 13, 2005, 03:42 PM
The accuracy of any rifle is greatly dependent on the ammunition being used.

steelersfan0000
April 13, 2005, 08:25 PM
What is the best 7.62 ammo you would recomend???????? :confused:

Death from Afar
April 13, 2005, 08:47 PM
Very very few Ak's shoot better than 2.5 MOA. I have never shot one that does better than 3MOA.

As far as ammo goes, it all seems to shoot the same. The cheapest will normally do as well as the most expensive in these rifles.

h8theun
April 14, 2005, 12:56 AM
I have a vepr in .763x39 with a19" barrel and a siaga with a 14" barrel.On a good day i can get 2" groups at 100 yards with the vepr and 4 or 5" with the siaga.This was with wolf ammo that had bimetal bullet jackets,i wonder if the copper jacket bullets are more accurate and why if that is the case.Part of the reason why the vepr is more accurate is the longer barrel and sight radius,and a heavy RPK receiver.I also think its built better.Its so tight that i broke 4 sight tools getting it straight.Two of them were voluntiered by people who didn't believe that you could break a sight tool.Both aks are fun to shoot and mags and ammo are cheap,they make me so happy.Niether are precision instruments though.Oh and I used to have a romak that was good enough to hit a 1 quart gatorade bottle over and over at 200 yards.

:D
:D

MTMilitiaman
April 14, 2005, 02:10 AM
My Romanian WASR-10 came with a target showing a 5 shot 4 inch 100 yard group with the weapon's serial number on it. The conditions and ammo under which this group was shot can only be speculated but if it was done by a human then the rifle is capable of better because as the rifle came, it had hellacious trigger slap and the typically bad AK sights that I despise. I haven't gotten a chance to really accuracy test mine because I slapped some Mojo ghost ring sights on it and polished most of the Fire Control Group to eliminate most of the trigger slap, and haven't gotten it to the range for accuracy testing sense then. I think the AK has an undeserved reputation for being unacceptably inaccurate. Every AK-clone I have ever touched has been accurate enough to do its intended job--put bullets fired from a intermediate powered rifle round into a target the size of a human torso out to 300 or maybe 400 yards. As a general rule, the AK isn't going to be as accurate as the AR, but then, it can be said that the AR will never be as low-maintence or reliable under adverse conditions as the AK.

h8theun
April 14, 2005, 02:22 AM
Good post MTM, im hopeing to get the"peep" style sights for both my AKs soon.First i need to get a trigger job and a better rear sight for HK91.Strangely the triggers on both my
AKs feel very good,better than my Colt HBAR.The trigger on the romak i used to have snapped my finger when the bolt traveled toward the mag after fireing.I think that the AK front sight post is to wide,maybe i could file it or find a better one.
:cool:

HankC1
April 14, 2005, 08:38 PM
Should I even consider .223 caliber AK to get better group for less recoil and shoot flatter? I know it is not a true AK caliber and I wonder about availability of replacement parts. I just want a fun gun to shoot, I believe the standard AK will fit my need very well, just want to know all the options. Would a milled receiver help accuracy, is it just the weight or stiffness? I can add weight easily myself. What would be the first things to do to improve acuracy without spending too much money? I will be happy if I can get the group down to within 4-5 MOA. Thanks.

TPAW
April 14, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hank C1......Don't think that a 223 AK is going to out perform a 7.62x39, it doesn't as far as I've seen. A few guys that I shoot with have the Jap AK .223 folding stock, and not one of them can produce the groups that I get with my 7.62x39. At 50 yards I'm able to group my shots in an area no lager than a tennis ball. At 100 yards, no larger than a softball. I tried all kinds of ammo from the most expensive to the cheapest, and only two really performed. Corbon 150 grain soft point, and Wolf 154 grain Soft Point. For some reason, the heavier grain was more consistant than the usual 123 or 125 grain FMJ or HP.

h8theun
April 14, 2005, 11:48 PM
if you want a somewhat accurate ak then get the vepr