PDA

View Full Version : Where would you start debugging AR feeding problems?

MeekAndMild
April 10, 2005, 09:09 PM
So that is the question. Where would you start? I've noticed intermittant feeding problems in my varmint rifle using Colt factory shorty magazines and soft nosed bullets. Sometimes the front of the cartridge pops up but the back doesn't, so they jam until the bolt is backed up a couple of inches and the jam relieved. Happens in cycling them in to begin firing and not between shots.

(No, I don't think it is humane to shoot a coyote with hardball ammo so that is out. Got to use soft points. There is a state limit on hunting with magazines over 10 rounds.)

45 Fu
April 10, 2005, 09:40 PM
WHen you say "soft nosed bullets" do you mean exposed lead or the polymer tipped expanding bullets? If you're using the soft nosed lead you might try something like Hornady's V-Max or equivalent.

It could also be the feed lips on your mag(s) are not right.

Handy
April 11, 2005, 12:14 AM
Sounds like you already narrowed it down to the magazine.

Why not switch to spitzers or match HPs?

Zak Smith
April 11, 2005, 01:02 AM
When having feeding issues with an AR15, the first thing to do is to try USGI spec magazines with new springs. Most feed issues are related to bad magazine springs, feed (rise) rate, or malformed feed lips.

If it is just a problem with the first round, make sure you fully retract the charging handle and let it go when chambering the first round.

MeekAndMild
April 11, 2005, 06:55 PM
Actually it is just a problem with the two Colt factory mags which came with the rifle.

The bullets are soft point lead nosed bullets just like I use in bigger rifles when I hunt deer. I spent some time looking at this last night and found that it actually occurs with the first two cartridges and I counted the number in the magazines and found that somebody, we won't say who, had put 7 rounds instead of 5 in them. :o

I wonder if V-Max might work, but I want to stay away from non expanding bullets out of consideration for the coyotes.

Thanks guys.

Handy
April 11, 2005, 07:06 PM
Why not switch to spitzers or match HPs? Yeah, what he said.

G56
April 11, 2005, 10:51 PM
Soft point bullets feed fine in my AR, I'm using used military 20 round magazines and have absolutely no problems with deformed bullets. My advice is to try some military 20 round magazines.

This group was shot with Hornady Spire Point bullets, which are soft points, rifle comes from a J&T kit with Stag Arms lower receiver, stainless 24" bull barrel with 1-8 twist.
http://www.pbase.com/wingman26/image/41810168.jpg

fanoblack
April 12, 2005, 12:03 AM
Just posing a question, but I thought Match HPs were hollow points in consideration of a weight thing(shifting it further back thus making it more stable), not a means of expansion?

G56 that is an awesome grouping. That sounds exactly like the rifle I would like build once I get some money freed up. What distances do you shoot at with that? I am curious because when I build mine I would like to stretch its legs out to 300-500 yds. I realize I would need a heavier bullet for the longer stuff.

fanoblack

Greenfurniture
April 12, 2005, 12:11 AM
Sounds to me like you might need to clean your bolt. If that doesn't clear it up switch ammo.

Pthfndr
April 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
When having feeding issues with an AR15, the first thing to do is to try USGI spec magazines with new springs. Most feed issues are related to bad magazine springs, feed (rise) rate, or malformed feed lips.

Absolutely. Even factory Colt 10 rounds are usually marginal ...for as long as they last. USGI is the only way to go.