PDA

View Full Version : NEF Handi Rifle Problem...

Ruger # 1
April 10, 2005, 07:26 PM
A buddy of mine recently bought a new New England Handi Rifle w/bull barrel in .243 Win. When he fires it, it has a tendecy to break open, ejecting the empty. This especially happens when firing prone with a bipod.Anybody else have this problem? Is this a safety problem, and should he ship it back to have it fixed?
Thanks for the help!

Jseime
April 10, 2005, 07:28 PM
that is for sure a safety issue. dont let him fire it again and have it sent back ASAP.

Brian Williams
April 10, 2005, 07:59 PM
Send it back right after you call them.

cntryboy1289
April 10, 2005, 10:43 PM
Is he shooting reloads? It might be that he has messed up the locking mechanism if he shot hot loads or he may be shooting badly headspaced rounds. I reload for the same rifle and it will definitely let you know if you forget to set the shoulder back for enough by doing the exact same thing this one is doing. It is for sure a problem that needs to be fixed. Mine will not lock up correctly if the shoulder is not set back for enough and I used to use it as a headspace gauge until I bought one for .243.

I know that the guys a NEF will fix it for ten dollars if he ships it to them for the lifetime of the rifle. The have a $10 lifetime warranty and they ship it back pretty soon. He should let them know what rounds he was shooting when the problem started.

mtnboomer
April 11, 2005, 12:44 AM
If he is shooting reloads that have not been properly sized (over length) it will not allow the mechanism to lock completely, or if the cases are sized undersized (using small-base dies) the violent expanding of the case could cause the action to unlock. If he is shooting factory ammo it could be a slightly short chamber causing the same problem. Also check to make sure there is no build up of grease or fouling in the chamber that will keep the round from setting completely. Yes, as stated above, send it back and get it fixed!

Ruger # 1
April 11, 2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I had already told him not to fire it and that he'd probably have to ship it back. I'll ask him about his reloading procedure(sizing practices for example). He is a safe loader,to my knowledge. I was just curious to see if this was a common malady of these rifles. It seems like a well built rifle, esp. considering the price.

Thanks to all who responded.

cntryboy1289
April 12, 2005, 04:40 PM
They are very strong rifles, but the design will not tolerate rounds that are too long. Tell him he really needs to get a headspace tool. I reloaded for years using the rifle itself, but it is a lot quicker to use the tool. Once I get the round headspaced properly, I lock the die in place and load the rounds. Each time you reload the same round, it will stretch and will mess the headspace up eventually.